GDT: Canes Gone Wild

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Next year is going to interesting on d.

Hopefully one of our young guys playing in the Minors or Europe are ready to join the big club. Of course, it’s tough to win with young guys on d (as Jersey is finding out).

I was hoping that Morrow would have been able to get some run late this year to gauge his readiness but that ship probably won’t dock this year.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Next year is going to interesting on d.

Hopefully one of our young guys playing in the Minors or Europe are ready to join the big club. Of course, it’s tough to win with young guys on d (as Jersey is finding out).

I was hoping that Morrow would have been able to get some run late this year to gauge his readiness but that ship probably won’t dock this year.
realistically our young guys would be in sheltered 3rd pairing role. NJ was already counting on at least 1 playing top 4 until injuries forced both of them too.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
My pick for D next year would be:
Slavin - Burns
Sjkei (signed for 6. yes I said 6)-TDA (if had cheap like this year)
Nystrom / Sellgren / UFA unknown Chatfield (If had for say 2.5M or so?)

Most Likely right now (this defense will suck, bad.)
Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Chatfield
Nystom / Sellgren / UFA - TDA / UFA (which makes a brutal 3rd pair)

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Dom still has us as the statistical favorite to win the cup (Canes=14%. Dallas/Oilers at 13%, Cats at 11%... a couple at 9%/8% and the rest 5% or below). Also, a good chart on remaining games strength of schedule comparison:

View attachment 826004

This is from a different thread but it was in my "multiple quotes" when I pulled it up to comment on the post below, so I'll just include it here: anyone else notice that the chart lists 52% of the Canes remaining games at home and 46% on the road, which only totals 98%? If it were 1% shy I'd chalk it up to rounding but that doesn't explain 2%. Canes have a game at a neutral site coming up? :sarcasm:

He seems like the poster child for “buys what the coaching staff is selling” from a system perspective. I love watch him pinch because there’s no hesitation, he makes a split second read and then fully commits to going and winning the puck (crucially, even if it ends up being the “wrong” read he rarely gets caught because of how aggressively he attacks once he’s decided that’s the play).

Gotta extend him to some fair. Something starting with a $2.

Plus, can't coach speed. How many times has Chat come from behind to stop a breakaway that the rest of our D wouldn't have caught up to?

Last edited:

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Slavin - Burns

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Chatfield
My guess is we are able to keep Pesce for cheaper/shorter term than everyone expected a year ago.

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Pesce
FA/trade - Chatfield/Morrow

I love Skjei as much as anyone here (best Brady in sports history) but unless we intentionally plan on playing a LHD on their off side long term it makes zero sense to keep him. Slavin is a lifer and we will never let him walk. Nikishin will hopefully be here in a little over a year and he's going to be a cheap top 4 D. Orlov is purely a bridge to him next year since Skjei is a UFA 1 year before Nikishin gets here. None of Slavin, Skjei or Nikishin should be on the 3rd pair so you're either playing someone on the right or you let Skjei walk. Letting Skjei walk frees up $ for forward upgrades/keeping guys like Necas, Jarvis.

Seeing Skjei go will stink but I don't think it will be an issue in the slightest. RHD could become a big issue if we don't keep Pesce (and even if we do keep him, how long will Burns stick around and be effective in the top 4?). Morrow's development will be crucial, otherwise we'll have to try to find a top 4 RHD in FA/trade -- which nearly every team in the league will also be trying to do to varying degrees. We've somehow hit it out of the park with Dougie, TDA and Burns but I'm not so sure it'll be that easy going forward. Chatty will factor in too but I'm not 100% sure we re-sign him this offseason (though we definitely should).

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
My guess is we are able to keep Pesce for cheaper/shorter term than everyone expected a year ago.

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Pesce
FA/trade - Chatfield/Morrow

I love Skjei as much as anyone here (best Brady in sports history) but unless we intentionally plan on playing a LHD on their off side long term it makes zero sense to keep him. Slavin is a lifer and we will never let him walk. Nikishin will hopefully be here in a little over a year and he's going to be a cheap top 4 D. Orlov is purely a bridge to him next year since Skjei is a UFA 1 year before Nikishin gets here. None of Slavin, Skjei or Nikishin should be on the 3rd pair so you're either playing someone on the right or you let Skjei walk. Letting Skjei walk frees up $ for forward upgrades/keeping guys like Necas, Jarvis.

Seeing Skjei go will stink but I don't think it will be an issue in the slightest. RHD could become a big issue if we don't keep Pesce (and even if we do keep him, how long will Burns stick around and be effective in the top 4?). Morrow's development will be crucial, otherwise we'll have to try to find a top 4 RHD in FA/trade -- which nearly every team in the league will also be trying to do to varying degrees. We've somehow hit it out of the park with Dougie, TDA and Burns but I'm not so sure it'll be that easy going forward. Chatty will factor in too but I'm not 100% sure we re-sign him this offseason (though we definitely should).
I don't think Chatty experiences the same success away from the Hurricanes...the system we play fits his natural play style like a glove. He needs us as much as we need him.

I'd love to keep Skjei but really just think he prices himself out. Pesce would have to be willing to resign for a shorter, cheaper contract probably to stay here, but someone will likely overpay/term him as a UFA. Love him to death but he's just been meh even at his best this year and he's more likely Vlasic than Tanev. We definitely need to do something for the RH side long-term because after Burns goes, I doubt either Morrow or Chatty will be 1st pair guys (nor would Pesce at this point).

Reactions: chaz4hockey

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Slavin - Burns

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Chatfield
I'm glad to see you didn't forget about Joel Nystrom. He and the other Swedish defender, Simon Forsmark, are both putting up respectable numbers in the Swedish mens league. I think both of those guys are worth a look. And Nystrom is a righty; Forsmark is a lefty. We don't give those guys much love but I'm hoping the organization does. Forsmark is something like 6'3" and 195lbs. Nystrom has apparently grown a bit as he's now listed at 6'2" but he's a beanpole at 175lbs.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I'm glad to see you didn't forget about Joel Nystrom. He and the other Swedish defender, Simon Forsmark, are both putting up respectable numbers in the Swedish mens league. I think both of those guys are worth a look. And Nystrom is a righty; Forsmark is a lefty. We don't give those guys much love but I'm hoping the organization does. Forsmark is something like 6'3" and 195lbs. Nystrom has apparently grown a bit as he's now listed at 6'2" but he's a beanpole at 175lbs.
IDK if theyre close to ready for camp but, I feel like we might find out.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Like the height of both. Re: Nystrom-he just needs a RBA workout program similar to what Jarvis is undertaking to bulk up.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I can't see them retaining Pesce. The front office let Hamilton, Trocheck, (presumably) Skjei all walk while they were in their prime for cap flexibility. At least according to my eye test, Pesce is visibly declining, particularly in his skating. Every game will have a sequence or two where Pesce tries to skate it out and gets backchecked into a turnover.

They let guys walk who weren't declining yet, why would they retain someone who is?

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I can't see them retaining Pesce. The front office let Hamilton, Trocheck, (presumably) Skjei all walk while they were in their prime for cap flexibility. At least according to my eye test, Pesce is visibly declining, particularly in his skating. Every game will have a sequence or two where Pesce tries to skate it out and gets backchecked into a turnover.

They let guys walk who weren't declining yet, why would they retain someone who is?
I think there is a chance Pesce could be kept on a shorter term deal. The others we let walk were all looking for big $ on long term. We are clearly willing to "over"pay on shorter term in certain situation as we saw with Orlov and even Bunting I'd argue.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Slavin - Burns

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Chatfield
Disgusting, contains ORLOVPAID.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I think there is a chance Pesce could be kept on a shorter term deal. The others we let walk were all looking for big $ on long term. We are clearly willing to "over"pay on shorter term in certain situation as we saw with Orlov and even Bunting I'd argue.
Somewhat of Nino situation perhaps. Goes to the market, doesn't get offered what he thinks he should circles back to what the Canes are offering and hope we haven't filled his spot yet.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Somewhat of Nino situation perhaps. Goes to the market, doesn't get offered what he thinks he should circles back to what the Canes are offering and hope we haven't filled his spot yet.

Yeah, I think this is where all three of Skjei, Pesce and Turbo will this summer. They'll have the organizations "best offer" in hand and they can go out and find something better. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Maybe our offer will be gone when we find someone to fill their spot. But I doubt any of the three will be signed before July 1st.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Yeah, I think this is where all three of Skjei, Pesce and Turbo will this summer. They'll have the organizations "best offer" in hand and they can go out and find something better. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Maybe our offer will be gone when we find someone to fill their spot. But I doubt any of the three will be signed before July 1st.
Yeah, I could see that situation. I also think there's going to be a heavy weighting on playoff performance (and you can throw Necas in this bucket as well). If Turbo, for example, has a nice playoff, then I could see him getting a more favorable deal. Tuevo hasn't done himself any favors with his regular season last year and his shortened playoffs. If he finishes with 50 points (which he appears to be on pace for), that will help a bit, but I don't think it takes him out of the high $5 million range.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Yeah, I could see that situation. I also think there's going to be a heavy weighting on playoff performance (and you can throw Necas in this bucket as well). If Turbo, for example, has a nice playoff, then I could see him getting a more favorable deal. Tuevo hasn't done himself any favors with his regular season last year and his shortened playoffs. If he finishes with 50 points (which he appears to be on pace for), that will help a bit, but I don't think it takes him out of the high $5 million range.
I honestly think Turbo takes any reasonable number to stay here if just because of his friendship with Aho. Doesn't seem like the kind of guy who makes new friends easily or likes uprooting his life, so I think he stays as long as we're willing to have him back.

Reactions: SlavinAway

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I honestly think Turbo takes any reasonable number to stay here if just because of his friendship with Aho. Doesn't seem like the kind of guy who makes new friends easily or likes uprooting his life, so I think he stays as long as we're willing to have him back.
I think if the contract offered is fair, you are correct. But I am going to guess that given the way Rod moves him to the fourth line quickly when there are offensive struggles, the contract might not be "fair".

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Turbo is getting to the age whereby a dedicated commitment to fitness matters in keeping play elevated. Does he have it in him to take that path?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad