Seravalli: Canes discussing long term deal with Kotkaniemi, Canes want 8 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Again, if he flops, the result is a buyout which will cost $800K a year (1/3 of $4.8M, divided in half over 2x years) if it's enacted before 2026. So even with this 8 year commitment, there's a reasonable amount of time to continue to evaluate Kotkaniemi and determine if he will produce more with more playing time and better forwards, as he has done this season in Carolina as pointed out earlier, or if he does top out as a more offense-leaning 3C.

The reward for the commitment is getting to develop Kotkaniemi. Work on his skating in the off-season and see what can be done to improve him outside of Montreal.

I dont think he is a player who will 'flop' its just the third overall label creates an unrealistic expectation. I do think he will turn into a good third line centre or a weaker second line centre maybe I was really surprised he hasn't broken out more this first year in Carolina just with the better players around him but I think he's had very limited time on ice and probably played across the lines

Im starting to think we might have seen most of Kotkas skill development in shooting and scoring (?) he could still have some years where he will be up in goals or down a bit. Where he can really still develop is skating and he will get bigger and stronger - so to me his real potential is developing into a heavy hitting shutdown centre and points are less important in that role

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
It's mindboggling to me that any team would want to commit 8 years to someone of that stature. I don't even care what the AAV ends up being, 8 year terms should be reserved for franchise level talents, not guys who at best might become 50-ish point players.

This Eric Tulsky quote might shed some light on some of the Canes Committee moves. I think that many posting in here look at a move from the perspective of minimizing the chances of making a mistake. The Borg (our name for the unique Canes management structure) has a different philosophy. So far it's been working out pretty good, despite how many here predicted otherwise. Only time will tell how the KK move ends up.

"I promise you that not every decision we ever make will turn out perfect. That’s one of the things that I think as an organization we do really well, though. We’re not afraid to take some swings. With a lot of places, if you take five risks and three of them go your way, you’re getting killed about the other two. Then maybe you lose your job over it. And here, if you take five risks, and three of them go your way, we know you’re one decision better than you were beforehand."

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
There was no consensus at 3; stop making things up. Kotkaniemi was in the mix to go 3rd along with Zadina, Tkachuk, Hughes, Bouchard, even guys like Dobson and Wahlstrom got some consideration. Kotkaniemi was seen as a raw project pick with high upside that was a few years away. Obviously he turned out to be the exact opposite of that in that he made the league right away, but has limited upside. But that’s how he was touted heading into the draft.

He has been a disappointment, but he wasn’t really a reach, unless you consider going 2 spots ahead of where most expected a reach.
You must of been one of the loud voices that didn't like Brady? I remember well, a lot of the board scouting experts were convinced Tkachuk was moar size and had little upside. There was panic that MB would take him. Zadina was pretty popular. Don't take it out on me.

And my overall point remains, multiple players drafted behind him that are significantly better. No matter the consensus, you have to expect your scouts to get a player with more upside at 3.

Reactions: Burke the Legend

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Work on his skating in the off-season and see what can be done to improve him outside of Montreal.

Skating, defence, passing, work ethic, release...

I think this is why Montreal didn't match, too many areas of his game needed to come together. Still a prospect, big fat question mark on if he will ever be an impact player. Meanwhile the Habs didn't hesitate to sign Suzuki to a big deal because everyone could see he was already 90-100% there in most areas so is much more of a sure thing.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
You must of been one of the loud voices that didn't like Brady? I remember well, a lot of the board scouting experts were convinced Tkachuk was moar size and had little upside. There was panic that MB would take him. Zadina was pretty popular. Don't take it out on me.

And my overall point remains, multiple players drafted behind him that are significantly better. No matter the consensus, you have to expect your scouts to get a player with more upside at 3.

This is absolutely true. As a fan at the time I thought KK was the right choice but I have to confess that ever since that draft day and because of the loud, obnoxious self-important know-it-alls on the Habs board that were absolutely thrashing and ranting about Tkachuk for days... I've kind of been rooting for him.

It was just onboxious. "He's not even a first rounder." "Bergevin and Timmins should be fired on the spot if they take him." These things were said and upvoted multiple times. They were laughing at Ottawa for picking him.

Reactions: japhi

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Skating, defence, passing, work ethic, release...

I think this is why Montreal didn't match, too many areas of his game needed to come together. Still a prospect, big fat question mark on if he will ever be an impact player. Meanwhile the Habs didn't hesitate to sign Suzuki to a big deal because everyone could see he was already 90-100% there in most areas so is much more of a sure thing.
I haven't seen where any of those things are a real concern other than maybe his skating which has been discussed already (very awkward skater)...he's been solid for a guy being played on the 4th line with the likes of Lorentz & Stepan. Do you have any actual analysis for the rest or just trashing the kid bc he's no longer a Hab?

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I haven't seen where any of those things are a real concern other than maybe his skating which has been discussed already (very awkward skater)...he's been solid for a guy being played on the 4th line with the likes of Lorentz & Stepan. Do you have any actual analysis for the rest or just trashing the kid bc he's no longer a Hab?

yes I watched him closely for 4 years. All those areas need significant improvement if he's going to put it together to become an impact player. is it possible? Sure. But he's a project. If the Habs' front office thought this was high probability they would have matched. Canes' front office thinks he can make the improvements, fine, but he needs a lot of things to come together which is always a big ask.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Seems like 95% of the comments on him are from Hab fans, even though it's getting close to a full season since he left & signed with the Hurricanes.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016

I agree. I honestly wasn’t sure who I wanted. I was more open to Tkachuk than most Habs fans. I really liked Bouchard and Dobson. I didn’t like Hughes and thought he would bust lol. Didn’t like Zadina either. If had been up to me, I honestly may have picked Kotkaniemi anyway because he was touted as a big “center” with high upside. Kotkaniemi has been a big disappointment though and I’m glad the team walked away from him.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Marc Bergevin's failure to acquire, or develop, a centre resulted in his having to select Jesperi Kotkaniemi, rather than the safer choice of Brady Tkachuk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad