GDT: Canes at Sab-ers

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Yeah that quote is silly. If there is one thing, ONE THING, Canes fans know over the past decade, it is ECHL quality goaltending. There were games where Darling was more goatlender, less goaltender (nod to epic thread). Sabres did not lose last night because of goaltending. They lost because they couldn't clear the ****ing man in the crease all game long.

Lurk Muller

Oct 11, 2018
I’ve had that goal too, tho don’t know if I’ll ever complete it. With my other travel ambitions I have a hard time imagining me skipping out on those to catch a game in Edmonton or Winnipeg lol.

Curious what arenas have you all seen the Canes play in?

I’ve got the Lightning, Panthers, Capitals, Islanders (Nassau & Barclays), Rangers, Devils, Wings, and Avalanche.

Might be adding Philadelphia at the end of this season. Also hoping they do another California + Vegas + Arizona road trip again that aligns with my schedule next year, as I may just do that trip, almost did it last season.
Man I'm so jealous of you guys. My goal is to see a game that matters lives. I only have two preseason games under my belt from when they came to Halifax.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
So back in late December Dundon stated "I would rather lose 5-4 than 2-1". Is it a coincidence that since then we've been scoring a lot more goals, as well as giving up a lot more?

At that time our team offense ranked 30th.
And our team defense was as high as 4th I believe.

Now our offense is 16th
Team defense is at 14th

Quite the flip flop.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Great exciting game and we win so I’ll save the complaints for another night.

I’ll save my negative response for Tripp. I’ve never seen a player get more crap from our media than Skinner - who really seemed like the nicest kid. We didn’t like his defense and didn’t want to pay him? Fine. I’ve made my opinion on how management handled the narrative about both Skinner and the big trade well known - this isn’t that. When our media buys in and our color guy spends the game mocking him and pointing out every play he can in a sad desperate attempt at making the trade seem justified and that it’s addition by subtraction because the player is so deeply flawed I was genuinely happy Skinner got two and tied it up.

Had Skinner scored in OT I would’ve celebrated for him. I loved him but wasn’t surprised he was traded. I think we needed a first rounder back and should’ve waited for it but that’s my only complaint about that trade. He did nothing to deserve what Tripp is doing. Just call the damn game.

Last edited:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

I’ll save my negative response for Tripp. I’ve never seen a player get more crap from our media than Skinner - who really seemed like the nicest kid. We didn’t like his defense and didn’t want to pay him? Fine. I’ve made my opinion on how management handled the narrative about both Skinner and the big trade well known - this isn’t that. When our media buys in and our color guy spends the game mocking him and pointing out every play he can in a sad desperate attempt at making the trade seem justified and that it’s addition by subtraction because the player is so deeply flawed I was genuinely happy Skinner got two and tied it up.

Had Skinner scores in OT I would’ve celebrated for him. I loved him but wasn’t surprised he was traded. I think we needed a first rounder back and should’ve waited for it but that’s my only complaint about that trade. He did nothing to deserve what Tripp is doing. Just call the damn game.

I like Tripp more than most but I agree he did seem to go out of his way a few times to rag on him.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Had Skinner scores in OT I would’ve celebrated for him. I loved him but wasn’t surprised he was traded. I think we needed a first rounder back and should’ve waited for it but that’s my only complaint about that trade. He did nothing to deserve what Tripp is doing. Just call the damn game.

Gotta be a decent portion of the casual viewing audience that was similar to my wife last night. "Why is Tripp being such an asshole to Skinner? Skinner was always such a nice kid".

No reason for it. Just makes Tripp sound trashy. Cowardly and distasteful to attack the character of a former employee who always had a good attitude and a smile on his face. Sounds like Tripp has been building up resentment for a decade and can't help himself. John was leaving it to hang.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016

I agree with you that Skinner was a nice guy and the trade is indefensible to most people. Tripp was right to say that you should force Eichel and Skinner to play defense because they aren't especially great at it, if they are in our end then they aren't scoring on us, and it makes the two most dangerous scorers expend energy to wear them down. The way I understand it, it's the color man's job to break down the players from the team we're playing against to give us a better idea of why certain things are happening in the game. Tripp is intimately familiar with Skinner so he's going to have quite a bit to say about him especially since like you acknowledged, Skinner's defensive liabilities are pretty glaring. I am surprised he did not go in on him even harder because Skinner did a lot of cherry picking in the first game when he could have gotten back to help. Jeff is an incredible talent yet in each game while he scored goals, he ended up a -1 both times and they lost both games. I'm not a Tripp fanboy, I think he's weird, but I think the criticism from him was deserved.

I understand your desire to get a first round pick for Skinner. Jeff is definitely worth that and more. I don't know if our team would be as successful if he was still on the team. Sure he could have scored a fair amount of goals early in the season and won us games but the type of team we are you have to buy in fully and I don't think he would. Considering that he would be one of the older guys in the locker room (that's so weird to realize) you don't want your younger players emulating his bad traits. So would we have been more successful by keeping him and getting a better return? Who can say. I don't know that Jeff has the season that he's having with Buffalo with us if we hadn't made the trade. If he slumps and then sulks do we get a first for him with the high end talent available this year at the deadline? There are a lot of ifs there. I don't think your points are invalid, I just see things differently than you do.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Either he disliked him or he’s just drinking heavily from the kool-aid he’s being fed. Doesn’t matter why in the end. Please just knock it off. It’s low class to talk smack about former players. Even if Skinner had demanded a trade or something I would still be put off a bit by it. This isn’t even close to that.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I agree with you that Skinner was a nice guy and the trade is indefensible to most people. Tripp was right to say that you should force Eichel and Skinner to play defense because they aren't especially great at it, if they are in our end then they aren't scoring on us, and it makes the two most dangerous scorers expend energy to wear them down. The way I understand it, it's the color man's job to break down the players from the team we're playing against to give us a better idea of why certain things are happening in the game. Tripp is intimately familiar with Skinner so he's going to have quite a bit to say about him especially since like you acknowledged, Skinner's defensive liabilities are pretty glaring. I am surprised he did not go in on him even harder because Skinner did a lot of cherry picking in the first game when he could have gotten back to help. Jeff is an incredible talent yet in each game while he scored goals, he ended up a -1 both times and they lost both games. I'm not a Tripp fanboy, I think he's weird, but I think the criticism from him was deserved.

I understand your desire to get a first round pick for Skinner. Jeff is definitely worth that and more. I don't know if our team would be as successful if he was still on the team. Sure he could have scored a fair amount of goals early in the season and won us games but the type of team we are you have to buy in fully and I don't think he would. Considering that he would be one of the older guys in the locker room (that's so weird to realize) you don't want your younger players emulating his bad traits. So would we have been more successful by keeping him and getting a better return? Who can say. I don't know that Jeff has the season that he's having with Buffalo with us if we hadn't made the trade. If he slumps and then sulks do we get a first for him with the high end talent available this year at the deadline? There are a lot of ifs there. I don't think your points are invalid, I just see things differently than you do.
I don’t think it’s appropriate to go after any guy for his flaws like that, mostly because literally no one else does. Not in the way Tripp did. In the NHL they don’t do that. You can argue maybe they should? They don’t though. Tripp does for Skinner. The reason a wife like svechnicanes wife noticed because if you watch hockey casually you’ve never heard that. It stood out to me like a smack in the face. I’m not emotionally involved with the Skinner trade. I disagree with the return but you rarely hear me blather on about it like I do the Ferland situation. I actually play it down. I wish we got a first but that’s it. I don’t feel sensitive for Skinner generally.

Guys get exposed all the time on the replays and of course the announcers talk about it, but you never hear follow up as the game goes on about that players particular weakness, how our coaching staff brilliantly exposes it, and then point out in specific replays that particular players issue. If you don’t think it was over the top I’m not sure what to say. No other team does that.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
I don’t think it’s appropriate to go after any guy for his flaws like that, mostly because literally no one else does. Not in the way Tripp did. In the NHL they don’t do that. You can argue maybe they should? They don’t though. Tripp does for Skinner. The reason a wife like svechnicanes wife noticed because if you watch hockey casually you’ve never heard that. It stood out to me like a smack in the face. I’m not emotionally involved with the Skinner trade. I disagree with the return but you rarely hear me blather on about it like I do the Ferland situation. I actually play it down. I wish we got a first but that’s it. I don’t feel sensitive for Skinner generally.

Guys get exposed all the time on the replays and of course the announcers talk about it, but you never hear follow up as the game goes on about that players particular weakness, how our coaching staff brilliantly exposes it, and then point out in specific replays that particular players issue. If you don’t think it was over the top I’m not sure what to say. No other team does that.

I think you've made good points in both of your posts about this. I appreciate you sharing your point of view. Thanks.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I think the obvious question to Tripp is, why weren’t you pointing this shit out when he was on the team?

Maybe it bothered him that he wasn’t given the freedom to dog Skinner when he was actually here because of who he was?

IDK, either way he sounds like an ass.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
It certainly seems that Tripp had some pent-up anger towards Skinner that he is finally able to get out but who knows. John didn't participate in bashing him but didn't really say anything to contradict it either.

I'm a newer Canes fan; started following the team casually in 05-06 when I first moved to NC but only just started truly following them and watching most of the games a few seasons ago so I've only "suffered" through a fraction of the play-off drought most of you have. But from that perspective I really, really don't like Skinner and was happy to see him gone this year; although I do think we should've gotten at least one of BUF's 1sts. Even scoring 24 last year he was just atrocious to watch; I guess that's why Tripp's comments didn't really bother me last night.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Had Skinner scored in OT I would’ve celebrated for him. I loved him but wasn’t surprised he was traded. I think we needed a first rounder back and should’ve waited for it but that’s my only complaint about that trade. He did nothing to deserve what Tripp is doing. Just call the damn game.

It's just unprofessional....he actually didn't spend much time calling out Eichel on his defensive deficiencies and they were obvious too. It is clearly smack talking to try and toe the company line and it makes him look like an ass.

And this is coming from somebody who doesn't mind, maybe even likes, Tripp's goofiness....plus it seems a little out of character.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Didn't notice Skinner being trashed too much but I don't necessarily pay great attention to all the commentary.

At any rate, the thing about the trade is, if we were going to get a first round pick for him, somebody had to be willing to give a first round pick for him. Obviously nobody was, and yet I haven't seen anybody here deny the notion that Skinner simply wouldn't fit in with this year's roster and what they want to do on the ice. They had to move him.

So I have to believe they got as much as the market was willing to give for him. Don't know how you can ask for more when more isn't there to be had.

Reactions: Identity404

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
I can always ask for more. It doesn't mean I'll get it or that it's even reasonable; but I can ask.
What pisses me off about it is that he could have been included in a deal for ROR if they were willing to pay the damn signing bonus. Based on the return they got for ROR and the return we got for Skinner potentially something like the following could have been done:

ROR for Skinner, First (top 10 protected) and Gauthier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad