GDT: Canes at Sab-ers

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Don't they usually say that it's about this time around when the grind of traveling and schedule starts taking its toll on the rookies who haven't experienced anything like yet in the junior leagues?

I think the key here is the All-Star break, which is, by definition, a break. It was fairly obvious the last 10 or so games before the break that Svech didn't have the burst we got used to seeing from him. The 10-day break came at a perfect time for him. When you put the experience of 50 NHL games together with a nice, long rest, you get what we're seeing now and what New Jersey got down the stretch last season.

Faceoffs are totally overrated, until you're stuck in your own end on a penalty kill and holding a one-goal lead

*That* faceoff isn't overrated. And if you want to quote me high-value faceoff percentages, I'm all for it. But overall faceoff percentages during any single game are basically worthless.

I am with Tripp on this one. Jeff is still cherry picking like crazy. And please watch Eichel on the Ginger goal.

This is the crux of the issue, right? I mean, Tripp wasn't wrong. The idea that you have to make the best offensive players play in their own zone isn't exactly unique to the Hurricanes against the Sabres. It's pretty basic strategy. And at the end of the day, Buffalo had the last change last night, so it was their choice to play Eichel/Skinner against Aho's line. Obviously, if the Canes win the strength-on-strength battle, we're going to have a better chance to win the game.

The issue is that you don't have to go on about it all night long, and you don't have to single out a former player. We've seen it for years, though, Tripp's an excitable guy. And sometimes, he gets something in his head and he doesn't let go. I'm not sure this was "toeing the company line" so much as Tripp just being Tripp.

We all know why Skinner got traded. And in the end, nobody really minds that Skinner got traded. The issue is -- and always will be -- what we got in return for him. That's not on Skinner. That's on our management. So ripping Skinner repeatedly for being what we've always known him to be, is a little over the top, IMO.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Here he is....of course in the Karpat Universe:

Aku Raty

The future that is Aku

latest

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad