Dreger: Canes and Jordan Staal at an impasse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think the Canes would miss him. Wonder what the numbers are that they are talking about? Could it be that they are talking about paying him less than Kotkaniemi, and Staal is saying, "WTF?".

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He has had a "premium" contract for a decade now. Most would argue he has been overpaid. Just because the Canes have the Cap space to afford to continue that trend doesn't mean they should. Staal at $3-4M would be fair for both sides. He has made nearly $80M playing hockey already, which is an awful lot for his type of player. I would let him walk if he wasn't willing to be the one to bend a little this time.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
He's a very good defensive center, but very rarely contributes much offensively and his speed is long behind him.

If the Canes move on, I have full faith that we'll be fine. The front office has had multiple times in the past 2 or 3 years where the hockey world thought we were insane for moving on from a player (Dougie Hamilton, Alex Nedeljkovic, etc) and each time they ended up better in the end after follow-up moves.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
On a defensive oriented team, with no PP time, 17 goals a year is pretty huge. He always looks really good against us.

If we can somehow shoot Jeff Carter to the moon, I'd welcome him on Pittsburgh as a 3C/4C (depending), for something like 3-4 x $3M-$4M.

With Carter, we'll have too many slow guys on our bottom 6 if we add Staal :\.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I think the most I'd do if I were the Canes were 3 years x $3.5M each, but even that is a tough one because the third year he could completely fall off a cliff at his age. If it is all about the dollars for Jordan, there will be a team out there who will overpay.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I mean, Pesce and Staal are major contributors, right? Sometimes you gotta be willing to pay those guys and it sounds like they aren’t flexible.

Canes are a top-tier team and so far that approach hasn’t hurt them, but I wonder how sustainable that outlook on pay scale will be.
You called them cheap. Defined as "stingy" or "unwilling to give or spend." That is just a complete mischaracterization considering they spend to the cap every year. The Canes may value players differently than the "market" does and that results in letting some players walk but they aren't cheap in any way.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I dont buy it, Staal wants more money/years. He will eventually get it from the Canes. He’s not going anywhere.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
He has had a "premium" contract for a decade now. Most would argue he has been overpaid. Just because the Canes have the Cap space to afford to continue that trend doesn't mean they should. Staal at $3-4M would be fair for both sides. He has made nearly $80M playing hockey already, which is an awful lot for his type of player. I would let him walk if he wasn't willing to be the one to bend a little this time.
Agreed. I think something in the $4AAV range is fair. Maaaaybe $4.5 but term is obviously a question as well. There are some years he was well worth the $6m especially if you include playoff contributions but there were a lot of years where he wasn't producing at that level. Not like he was crazy overpaid or anything and a lot had to do with the team's failures to build a good roster but Staal is generally the kind of guy who just does what he does, and it doens't really matter if McDavid is on his team or not. He's got a good role here in Carolina. Him and RBA are two peas in a pod and he's the captain. There should be the ability to find common ground here.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
You called them cheap. Defined as "stingy" or "unwilling to give or spend." That is just a complete mischaracterization considering they spend to the cap every year. The Canes may value players differently than the "market" does and that results in letting some players walk but they aren't cheap in any way.
Literally what you’re describing is being unwilling to spend what guys like Hamilton, Pesce, Staal think they can get elsewhere.

No need to get bent out of shape about the descriptor, if their value system undersells the market and they keep letting key cogs walk, that puts a lot of pressure on finding “cheaper” alternatives with the same on-ice contribution. That’s a walking on a tightrope methodology.

Like I said, so far they’ve been able to do that with guys like DeAngelo for Hamilton etc., I just question how many times consecutively you can thread that needle. It’s a lot easier said than done replacing guys like Pesce and Staal at a lower pay-tier.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
On a defensive oriented team, with no PP time, 17 goals a year is pretty huge. He always looks really good against us.

If we can somehow shoot Jeff Carter to the moon, I'd welcome him on Pittsburgh as a 3C/4C (depending), for something like 3-4 x $3M-$4M.

With Carter, we'll have too many slow guys on our bottom 6 if we add Staal :\.
These kind of comments don't really make sense. If Staal is fine with 3-4 years at $3-4AAV then the Canes will just re-sign him. I highly doubt they are offering him 2x2 or something like that.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
These kind of comments don't really make sense. If Staal is fine with 3-4 years at $3-4AAV then the Canes will just re-sign him. I highly doubt they are offering him 2x2 or something like that.
The rumor on the Penguins board is that it's about term and not the AAV. The Hurricanes have a lot of contracts coming up in a couple of seasons and might not want to have Staal on the books when it's time to make those decisions.
I don't know the source of the rumor, and I suppose it could just be a guess.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Dreger is usually reliable, right?

I’d be surprised on this one. Not a huge Staal fan, but what they have isn’t exactly broken. Weird to let the captain walk. Not sure if it’s that he’s getting older if it’s back to cheap owner stuff.
Despite all of Dundon's blustering, the Canes clearly have an internal cap, they just won't admit it like Ottawa.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Despite all of Dundon's blustering, the Canes clearly have an internal cap, they just won't admit it like Ottawa.

This is just factually wrong. They’ve been a cap team consistently since 19-20.

The organization is rigid about its player valuations. That is all. If you disagree with that approach, a criticism of arrogance or being headstrong is more fitting. Cheap is an inaccurate label.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
This is just factually wrong. They’ve been a cap team consistently since 19-20.

The organization is rigid about its player valuations. That is all. If you disagree with that approach, a criticism of arrogance or being headstrong is more fitting. Cheap is an inaccurate label.
We absolutely have an internal cap

It just happens to be above the NHL's salary cap, with us being willing to stash players on LTIR or literally buy draft picks from other teams in terms of a cold hard cash buyout that others aren't willing to do.

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
I’ve been wanting this guy on New Jersey for a very very long time, a big strong defensive centre man would really help this team take a step in the playoffs

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If he values term over salary, Toronto would maybe be a good fit. They've been collecting NHL captains with playoff experience like Pokemon. As long as the cap hit is low, I could see Toronto offering him a 3 year deal, or even 4. He can be the 3C, and then depending on Staal's play and Leafs prospects, maybe the 4C later in the deal.
If the cap hit was low, he would likely be staying in Carolina. Seems like they're wanting a team friendly discount, he wants to make the most of what could be his last NHL contract. I suspect they eventually do come to terms, but it will be somewhere in between where both parties are right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad