Dreger: Canes and Jordan Staal at an impasse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
With a week to go before free agency it looks as Jordan Staal is moving on.

According to Dreger the Canes and Jordan Staal are currently at an impasse.

The Staal camp has tried to be flexible, presenting Carolina with a number of options, but none have been good enough as of yet.

If Carolina does not budge Staal is moving on.

If he goes where is he going?

Back to Pittsburgh?

• Wow
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
With a week to go before free agency it looks as Jordan Staal is moving on.

According to Dreger the Canes and Jordan Staal are currently at an impasse.

The Staal camp has tried to be flexible, presenting Carolina with a number of options, but none have been good enough as of yet.

If Carolina does not budge Staal is moving on.

If he goes where is he going?

Back to Pittsburgh?

Dreger is usually reliable, right?

I’d be surprised on this one. Not a huge Staal fan, but what they have isn’t exactly broken. Weird to let the captain walk. Not sure if it’s that he’s getting older if it’s back to cheap owner stuff.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
If he values term over salary, Toronto would maybe be a good fit. They've been collecting NHL captains with playoff experience like Pokemon. As long as the cap hit is low, I could see Toronto offering him a 3 year deal, or even 4. He can be the 3C, and then depending on Staal's play and Leafs prospects, maybe the 4C later in the deal.
Why would Staal go to Toronto for low cap hit but not just stay in Carolina?

Jordan was paid well for 10 years in Carolina, and while he has been a big part of the team, he should be giving a bit of a break here. What that looks like, I’m not sure. Maybe he’s wanting to wait for ROR to sign somewhere and then use that as a negotiating point. He wouldn't get the same or more but maybe teams that miss out on ROR would look to him as a consolation prize.

We’d all like to have him back in Carolina but the numbers gotta be reasonable.

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Seems like standard getting a message out from the agent stuff. It's not like any numbers were presented and there was clear messaging of making the Canes/Dundon look bad. Presenting plenty of options and being flexible might be overselling it if it's 1 x $5.5, 2 x $5, 3 x $4.5, or 4 x $4.

He should probably be getting 2 x $3 or so with the Canes at this point. I'm not torn up if he leaves as I think he ties the Canes to a very specific third line and roster construction the way Brindy will use him and I think it's somewhat antiquated. I won't really be shocked if he stays or goes.

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Why would Staal go to Toronto for low cap hit but not just stay in Carolina?

Jordan was paid well for 10 years in Carolina, and while he has been a big part of the team, he should be giving a bit of a break here. What that looks like, I’m not sure. Maybe he’s wanting to wait for ROR to sign somewhere and then use that as a negotiating point. He would get the same or more but maybe teams that miss out on ROR would look to him as a consolation prize.

We’d all like to have him back in Carolina but the numbers gotta be reasonable.
O'Reilly is a far better player. If O'Reilly is a comparison Staal should ask for 2/3 of whatever O'Reilly gets.

Last edited:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
In the ECF he still looked like he is a very good defensive center.
Would love to have him in FL.
He's an actual horse and generally speaking, he tends to play pretty big in the playoffs. He obviously doesn't have the speed that others do in the league but he just grinds other teams into dust and he doesn't stop. Scores big goals at big times. He's never been a player that relies on speed so as long as he doesn't fall off a cliff in that regard he should be able to keep doing what he's doing for a while.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
they spend to the cap every year lol, nothing cheap about that
I mean, Pesce and Staal are major contributors, right? Sometimes you gotta be willing to pay those guys and it sounds like they aren’t flexible.

Canes are a top-tier team and so far that approach hasn’t hurt them, but I wonder how sustainable that outlook on pay scale will be.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
If Jordan doesn't re-sign in Carolina—I wonder if the three Staal brothers would try and sign together with one team?

Reactions: banks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad