Dreger: Canes and Jordan Staal at an impasse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
He didn’t say core he said key. We’ve let multiple key cogs walk and are preparing to say goodbye to more of them as we speak.

We’re absolutely trying to find cheaper alternatives for the same contribution. That’s the TDA and Burns moves vs paying Hamilton all day. Koko instead of one of Trocheck/Staal. If Chatfield slides into Pesce’s spot there’s another.

We do things different. We’re taking chances that way. It can absolutely backfire, but it hasn’t yet. I don’t agree with all the moves myself. We’re winning a lot of games and that allows them to keep trying doing it the way we are.

The direct post you responded to, that you and I are talking about didn’t mention cheap in your quote. Obviously we aren’t cheap, we’re a cap team. I question if our obsession with getting the right value on just about every single move is keeping our eye on the ball….which is winning the cup. You don’t actually get anything for winning the transaction article on the Athletic because you didn’t overpay anyone in their eyes.
Semantics as core/key doesn't make a difference to me. I don't agree that anyone we've let walk has been "key" whatsoever.

The first post by that poster was calling the team cheap and he doubled down in response to my response.

You win cups by getting to the playoffs and getting hot and staying healthy, ultimately. You consistently get to the playoffs year in and year out by having good contracts and no wasted cap in a cap league. I don't give a crap about "winning transactions" it's about sustained long term success. And overpaying a player on a long term deal is riskier than letting said player walk, UNLESS they are a core player like an Aho, Slavin, Svech.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Bergeron ended up at 5 after bonuses.
Bergeron is also a vastly superior offensive player.

I'd be fine with giving him a bonus based contract but not laughably easily obtainable bonuses like Bergeron had for cap reasons.

Some team will probably overpay him based on his elite defensive ability but if they are expecting any sort of offensive production from him they will be greatly disappointed.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
If he moves on I could see Carolina and Calgary doing a trade around Lindholm or Backlund. It is kinda weird that this seems to be coming down to money when Carolina has a massive amount of cap space this off season and Staal is the captain and been a major part of the culture of the team.

I could see Holland try and get all 3 brothers in the fold for cheap (Jordan won’t be cheap per day but Eric and Marc should be) Edmonton needs to trade out Yamamoto and upgrade Ceci. Getting 3 veterans to fill out the roster would be huge. If we are moving out players for cap reasons

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
For all we know, the sticking point might be a NMC. Eric could certainly counsel his brother in that regard.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Odd way to treat the captain

Hard to say that when you don’t know what his ask is. He doesn’t just get whatever he wants by virtue of being the captain.

He’s still great defensively but his offence has dried up and he’s up there in years. He’s been overpaid for a long time. If he’s looking to get paid what he currently is then it’s too much.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Staal to LA and WPG has no choice but to trade PLD to the Habs ;)

3 Selke worthy centers down the middle

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
With a week to go before free agency it looks as Jordan Staal is moving on.

According to Dreger the Canes and Jordan Staal are currently at an impasse.

The Staal camp has tried to be flexible, presenting Carolina with a number of options, but none have been good enough as of yet.

If Carolina does not budge Staal is moving on.

If he goes where is he going?

Back to Pittsburgh?
This one
With a week to go before free agency it looks as Jordan Staal is moving on.

According to Dreger the Canes and Jordan Staal are currently at an impasse.

The Staal camp has tried to be flexible, presenting Carolina with a number of options, but none have been good enough as of yet.

If Carolina does not budge Staal is moving on.

If he goes where is he going?

Back to Pittsburgh?
Interesting one. Does a team like Detroit overpay him for a few years, until kids are ready? That’s the type of situation he probably gets the most money in. A team that won’t have any cap issues for a few years, so pay a player like him. If he’s leaving the Canes that means it’s about money. So he won’t be signing cheap anywhere like Colorado, etc.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Interesting situation. Kind of just assumed it'd be a slam dunk that he'd find a suitable deal with Carolina and carry on with what they're building there. But if he's anything like his brothers...maybe he just wants to keep playing until he's positively geriatric, and i could see that being a serious sticking point with the Canes typical hesitance to hand out term to older players.

I'd love him in Vancouver as their #3C. He'd be perfect for the role. But i can't imagine if contract talks aren't going well with Carolina, that he'll be going anywhere on a very reasonable deal that makes sense.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Maybe I'm underselling Staal. But I don't think Carolina should be going all out to try and keep him. He has declined and is 36 next season.
His defensive metrics are as good as ever. Absolutely elite in that regards still.

You wouldn’t be paying him for his offensive creativity. He can still be a very important add for a contender.

IMG-2065.jpg

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Canes are hockeys version of the Patriots. They have 0 problem cutting a guy loose or letting them walk if the money they want or should get is too much on their view. Gone. Open up another can. And with their drafting success they have been able to do this, and maintain Cap flexibility.

Reactions: Tryamw and Ole Gil

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Canes are hockeys version of the Patriots. They have 0 problem cutting a guy loose or letting them walk if the money they want or should get is too much on their view. Gone. Open up another can. And with their drafting success they have been able to do this, and maintain Cap flexibility.
They'd have to win a few (3+) cups with this group before they can even remotely be considered the Patriots.

Right now they're just a team that thinks they can outsmart the market. And they're "successful" in the same way the Sharks were

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Maybe I'm underselling Staal. But I don't think Carolina should be going all out to try and keep him. He has declined and is 36 next season.

He'll be 35 next season, and also...is still an extremely effective hard minutes Center. He may have "declined" a bit offensively as he's been shuffled to a more appropriate role as more of a conventional checking line Center without top offensive wingers flanking him. But he hasn't really declined appreciably in his 2-way ability or imposing physical presence leaning on guys and wearing them out.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
They'd have to win a few (3+) cups with this group before they can even remotely be considered the Patriots.

Right now they're just a team that thinks they can outsmart the market. And they're "successful" in the same way the Sharks were
Yeah I just meant in terms of how they handle players and their salaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad