GDT: Canadiens visit Ducks 7PM PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Silfverberg's dangerous offensively. He's really improved his offensive positioning and his shot selection and he's getting himself open to shoot the puck, which was something he hasn't really done as well in the past.

That whole line has been our best this season. I'm hoping Perry can pick it up (he was pretty bad last night) as Rakell and Getzlaf have been doing well. That's a beastly top 6 if both lines are playing up to expectations.

Also, what's up with Theo? Sure, being on a line with Bieksa doesn't help, but he's been garbage in his own end and his strengths (transition and offensive zone play) aren't showing through at all. I don't buy that it's the coach since Theodore and Fowler circa 2010 are fairly similar players and Fowler's offensive game in 2010 was a lot better than how Theodore is playing. His offensive swagger is gone and his defensive play leaves much to be desired.

Perry really has been an anchor, he's been useless out there and loses the puck frequently. Getzlaf has been great and Rakell has been very good at finishing chances and maintaining possession but it's almost as if they may as well be playing 4 on 5 at times.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Perry really has been an anchor, he's been useless out there and loses the puck frequently. Getzlaf has been great and Rakell has been very good at finishing chances and maintaining possession but it's almost as if they may as well be playing 4 on 5 at times.

Perhaps switch Perry and Ritchie or even Kase for a few games to see if that jump starts Perry? Can Kase play the left side if he was on a line with Vermette-Perry?

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Totally agreed. Perry has completely lacked the dangerous factor we've seen in years past. He's not making anything happen offensively -- he's in fact been a black hole in that regard. For a comparison, there's a striking resemblance here to Nick Ritchie's play last year.

Perry had a slow start last year (along with the rest of the team) but he didn't look nearly as bad. He's out of shape, and out of whack.

Perhaps switch Perry and Ritchie or even Kase for a few games to see if that jump starts Perry? Can Kase play the left side if he was on a line with Vermette-Perry?

I'd rather have Ritchie there just for his size and for a better fit. Kase and Getzlaf are both pass-first playmakers, don't think they'd mesh well together especially considering that Rakell is no Ovechkin. Ritchie-Getzlaf-Rakell (EDIT: Rakell, not Perry lol) sounds like a good line. If that second line wasn't doing so well I'd honestly be good with giving Silfverberg a go there as well.

Oct 18, 2011
i think at this point it's best to hope that Perry just breaks out of it and getzlaf is the best player for him to play with for it to happen. He has been getting more chances so it's just a matter of time until he breaks thru

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Perry right now reminds me of Teemu at the end of his career. His hands are made of stone. When he gets the puck or receives a pass, it's 50/50 whether he can hold onto it. Teemu had an excuse since he was over 40 years old. No idea what Perry's problem is.

evomacky

we heff no effor
Jan 7, 2014
Anaheim, CA
Watched the replays and you're right. That is kinda odd, maybe they had some laundry issues lol

yeah he was wearing an older 3rd jersey :laugh: one of the pics below clearly shows it too.

funny that it was an old 3rd jersey but the numbers they sewn were the newer ones from what I can tell.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
yeah he was wearing an older 3rd jersey :laugh: one of the pics below clearly shows it too.

funny that it was an old 3rd jersey but the numbers they sewn were the newer ones from what I can tell.

I noticed when I saw the postage interview on Twitter, where it was a lot clearer. At first I thought they accidentally used an old clip from another interview but just as you pointed out, the newer numbers give it away.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I seem to recall last season Gibson had a better gaa and save % than Andersen much of the season but caveats were given out all the time about who they each played and how the team played in front of them and the one's sample size over the other and certain singular plays made during games but now this season rolls around and these stats alone suddenly mean much more.

Gibson's hype has definitely led him to a bit more resentment on here, his lows tend to be magnified a bit more and the topic of conversation more often and his highs are minimized a bit more and more quickly forgotten.

Their numbers were never very far apart, and Gibson had his numbers inflated by his 3 game shutout streak. He has huge highs, and huge lows, and is still making the same mistakes. Anyone being honest knows we are purely lucky to have not gone to OT, because he yet again failed to get across the net in a timely fashion, and we got lucky that Montreal whiffed on a gaping open net.

Gibson Save %
Full games

Partial games

Bernier
Full games

Partial games

When Gibson has more starter caliber games than he has AHL/backup level games, and his partial games are due to being the replacement rather than the guy coming cold into a blowout, then he will get the benefit of the doubt.

Oct 18, 2011
gibsons sample size is almost twice as large, typically the larger a sample the harder it is to maintain higher rates of production, also quality of competition matters. even then you still get on his case after he played a great game, this is exactly what i'm talking about.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
This year Bernier has been more consistent mathematically. Standard dev of 18 vs 64. Also if you count the number of "bad games" with a SV<910, 14% vs 63%.

Last year Gibson was more consistent. 49 vs 88 and 42% vs 47%.

If you look at year to year, Bernier's numbers have gotten better while Gibson's have gotten worse.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The goaltending is so far down this teams list of issues that it's weird to even be discussing it right now...The team needs to find a way to start scoring more goals. Some of that is on Perry, and some of that is on Murray. Right now we are getting crazy goal production from Fowler and Rakell which is winning us games but at a certain point that's going to dry up a bit and we will need other players capable of putting pucks in the net.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The goaltending is so far down this teams list of issues that it's weird to even be discussing it right now...The team needs to find a way to start scoring more goals. Some of that is on Perry, and some of that is on Murray. Right now we are getting crazy goal production from Fowler and Rakell which is winning us games but at a certain point that's going to dry up a bit and we will need other players capable of putting pucks in the net.

Yeah agreed. i expect Rakell to keep scoring goals but he will struggle to stay at the ridiculous rate he's scoring at now. Fowler is shooting at 15% which even for the best defensemen is well above what they should shoot at.

As those two and a few others slow down we really need Perry to pick it up and ideally someone in the bottom 6 finds some scoring touch. Hopefully Kase can keep progressing and pick up some slack. It would be nice if Ritchie keeps his 20 goal pace too.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
gibsons sample size is almost twice as large, typically the larger a sample the harder it is to maintain higher rates of production, also quality of competition matters. even then you still get on his case after he played a great game, this is exactly what i'm talking about.

I'm "on his case" because YOU brought the topic up, right after an entire page of people saying how well he had played. YOU asked a question, and I answered it. I'm not "on his case" to say he's a bad goalie, my post specifically said he'd had a good game and hopefully he can build on it. I'm pointing out that there's a very valid reason people aren't singing his praises after one good game (even though they WERE complimenting him) - he's statistically likely to now put up two poor ones. Coming in to crow about how come nobody respects him is waaaay premature.

As far as quality of opponent is concerned, Bernier has faced playoff opponents in 6 of his 9 appearances, being under .931 in only one of the actual starts he had. Snark already addressed the consistency thing.

Yes and no. I wasn't actually complaining about the goaltending, but when it's a 3-2 league, and all 4 of your games were 3-2 scores the previous week, and your offense only scored more than 2 goals once (I grant you that one of those games was due to the NHL not understanding their own rulebook), then I don't think that goaltending should be too far off the radar as far as concerns go.

There's more to those goals than just the goalies, but there aren't too many games this year where I feel that our goalies stole games, and there are several where I feel the other goalie did. Gibson certainly isn't always (or even usually) the problem, but he's not really very often been the solution, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad