Rumor: Canadiens not getting fair offers for Max Pacioretty

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's not like the Skinner market appears to be hot either. Teams do not put a premium on scoring wingers who aren't truly elite. Kovalchuk signing took out one landing spot, and teams think that they'll be able to bid down Skinner and Pacioretty. There's also a chance someone like Anders Lee, Jordan Eberle or Zuccarello could be on the market. It appears to be a buyers market at the moment. How Bergevin has handled it hasn't helped, but Pacioretty coming off a down year and into a buyers market are aspects Bergevin can't really change. Maybe someone will lose a player or get desperate in November, but most likely the buyers will wait out these potential sellers until close to the TDL.

Reactions: jj cale

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Ehhh... not sure about that :laugh:

In the last few years here’s the record of ‘everyone knew they were bad when they happened’ deals

Hall for Larsson
Eberle for Strom
e

Vs

Subban for Weber
Sergachev for Drouin
Galchenyuk for Domi

... gross. No one wins there. I’ll give Edmonton the worse management crown because as bad as Bergevin has ****ed up the Habs he didn’t give up a hart trophy winner. Yet. Rebuilding with Price and Weber’s contracts on the books is going to be a taaaaalll order.

I'd like to add trading a 1st for Griffin Reinhart. That 1st ended up being Barzal if I recall correctly while Reinhart can't crack the NHL.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Almost?? A jack russel terrier could coach your team to the stanley cup finals with the amount of top end talent youve drafted in the last 8 years or so. we've squandered just about everything of value we had. I'd happily trade my habs cap for an oilers hat rn. wtf

You quoted the wrong post.

Yes, almost. You’d be in much better shape with Sergachev and Subban on your blueline . Just like we’d have been in better shape with Hall and Eberle.

Why we just didn’t link up and make a deal around Hall and Subban I’ll never know.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'd like to add trading a 1st for Griffin Reinhart. That 1st ended up being Barzal if I recall correctly while Reinhart can't crack the NHL.

Eh, that one’s bad too, but it was a 16th pick. Historically speaking it’s pretty hit or miss if you’re even getting an NHLer there. If rumblings are true we would have been stupid and taken Eriksson Ek there anyway.

Bad, but Hall for Larsson is worse.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Thank god ChaoticOrange comes once again to the rescue - one can't forget every Oilers player is incredibly good at hockey and supremely valuable.

That's why they are such a fantastic hockey team, perennial contenders.

Who are you, again?

I didn’t bring up RNH, someone else did as a potential Pacioretty return. Oiler fans aren’t interested in that whatsoever.

Unbunch yourself.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
You quoted the wrong post.

Yes, almost. You’d be in much better shape with Sergachev and Subban on your blueline . Just like we’d have been in better shape with Hall and Eberle.

Why we just didn’t link up and make a deal around Hall and Subban I’ll never know.

The rules of the universe dictate that Bergevin and Chiarelli must lose big trades. The universe would collapse if one of these clowns managed to win a trade, let alone both win by actually making a fair trade.

A fair Subban for Hall swap just wasn't physically possible.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Pacioretty will for sure bring back a 1st and a good prospect.....Nash got a 1st and Spooner ...Hanzal got a 1st...Tatar got a 1st,2nd and 3rd......problem is Bergevin is probably still insisting on a roster player just take the 1st and prospect and move on.

Reactions: HOPE and RickP

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hab fans last year: “JVR is an upcoming free agent! He has little value!”

Hab fans this year: “It doesn’t matter he’s a pending free agent! He has high value!”

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
NHL trade rumors: Canadiens not getting fair value in Max Pacioretty offers, report says | Sporting News
Best quotes:

"Brendan Kelly of the Montreal Gazette reported Monday that Marc Bergevin has been having trouble getting market value in offers for the team captain"

"Pacioretty, a five-time 30-goal scorer, is one of two players (along with Alex Ovechkin) to reach the 30-goal plateau in each season between 2013 and 2017. In 2017-18, Pacioretty (much like the Canadiens) had a down year: he scored 17 goals, his lowest full-season total since his rookie campaign, while scoring on a career-low 8-percent of his shots."

What is a fair offer?

Sounds like they don't know what definition of market value is.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Fair market value is the higher of two things: Either what another team is willing to offer for him o minimum the Habs need in order to move him.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Hab fans last year: “JVR is an upcoming free agent! He has little value!”

Hab fans this year: “It doesn’t matter he’s a pending free agent! He has high value!”
But that was when Patches was expected to only get a handful of goals...but proved doubters wrong and scored 17...

:popcorn:

CountKong

Jun 5, 2018
No way you can tank a season if Price and Weber are healthy. They are in a dead zone
Weber is out until at least December or January + time to find his groove. I would be willing to bet Price is out with some kind of "injury" for at least a month or two as well.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
He’s pure on Habs board as well. Pay no attention.

Thanks for your partisan support. Glad to see you're as open as ever.

Who are you, again?

I didn’t bring up RNH, someone else did as a potential Pacioretty return. Oiler fans aren’t interested in that whatsoever.

Unbunch yourself.

"Being someone" on these forums is the equivalent of being the tallest midget.

You don't need to "bring someone up" to refer to them, which is clearly what you did.

cafelatte

Jan 11, 2014
Lots of people on this board are obsessed with Bergevin saying this or saying that ... who cares!!! Bottom line is Patch has one year to go ... no different than Kevin Hayes, Erik Karlsson, Tyler Myers, Jacob Trouba, etc.etc.

Value is based on market demand/needs and cap considerations. Period.

Last edited:
Reactions: HOPE

cafelatte

Jan 11, 2014
You’d be in much better shape with Sergachev and Subban on your blueline .

I know this is not the subject of this thread but I must disagree with that statement ... As of now, Drouin's contribution to the team as a top line forward is much higher than Sergatchev's as a mid/bottom pairing D. Will this be true in the next 5 years? Future will tell ...

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Thank god ChaoticOrange comes once again to the rescue - one can't forget every Oilers player is incredibly good at hockey and supremely valuable.

That's why they are such a fantastic hockey team, perennial contenders.
Is this even necessary? The younger team would like the younger player. Even the poster who brought it up conceded that it'd be a rather poor trade off. You targeting a specific poster for no reason just comes off as petty. Bored?

Reactions: Edgy

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

One interesting way to slightly over-simplify things is to look at it is which group of players you would rather have:

Barzal
Hall
Eberle
Weber
Domi
Drouin

Or

Subban
Sergachev
Galchenyuk
Reinhart
Larsson
Strome

I would easily take the first group.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Bergevin is just cementing himself as an incompetent GM.

With a year left only he has no chance of a Matt Duchene deal. He can get backed into a Kane/Nash deal the longer it goes.

The two players I thought he could acquire, Hanifin, and Clague, he missed out on.

I'd be trying for Beaudin and another draft pick from Chicago. Just start over in a rebuild, with Gallagher leading the charge.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Lots of people on this board are obsessed with Bergevin saying or saying that ... who cares!!! Bottom line is Patch has one year to go ... no different than Kevin Hayes, Erik Karlsson, Tyler Myers, Jacob Trouba, etc.etc.

Value is based on market demand/needs and cap considerations. Period.

Bergevin is free not to sell if he's not happy with the offers, that's his perogative. He's got 11 months more control, about 7 months until the last spot to get decent (deadline). He can choose to take a lesser offer now or risk (bad season/injury) the deadline for a better return.

If I was Bergevin, I would not trade Patches now if the offers are bad. Patches has no choice but to show up and play hard for Bergevin. If he goes into the UFA market as a soon to be 31yo with back to back 30-40 point seasons, he's going to get a really shitty deal. This is his last chance to get a big deal, he has to work hard. If he does put up a 30-40 point season Bergevin will be glad he didn't give him a 7x7m extension or you'd be looking at his trade value in same way people look at Eriksson, Ladd or Lucic.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Weber is out until at least December or January + time to find his groove. I would be willing to bet Price is out with some kind of "injury" for at least a month or two as well.
Yeah. It's kind of ironic that them being hurt might actually help the team

Reactions: CountKong
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad