Rumor: Canadiens made a trade at the Draft that hasn't been announced yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I am pretty sure that bonuses are tied to dates, not events... but I also know that not every bonus is tied to July 1st. A good illustrative example can be found in the Derek Brassard trade, which happened July 18th, after his bonus was paid out on July 15th. As per Larry Brooks, the day after the trade:

Thanks for this. I perhaps should have added presumably before typical. We really don't know case by case. That's another example of a randomly dated, as far as the public is concerned, signing bonus. Bobby Ryan getting paid on May 15th one year was in mind when I posted that.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
It's kind of weird that signing bonuses transfer to the new team and they have to pay it, since the player and the team did not sign a contract with these bonuses in the first place. It should always be on the team that did the deal.
A lot of the bigger contracts in the league have huge portions of the yearly salary designated as signing bonus. It makes the contract buy out proof for the player. Making the original team also be responsible for the signing bonus for the duration of the contract would make that player trade proof. Never happen. More so it makes zero sense to suggest it.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Trade completed last week and we're just hearing a rumor about it now?

Gotta be Lou.

:sarcasm:

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
A lot of the bigger contracts in the league have huge portions of the yearly salary designated as signing bonus. It makes the contract buy out proof for the player. Making the original team also be responsible for the signing bonus for the duration of the contract would make that player trade proof. Never happen. More so it makes zero sense to suggest it.
It would also be used as a vehicle for cap circumvention... rich teams could sign guys to 8 year deals with 75% of the salary in signing bonuses, and later trade them to small markets for more than fair value in picks and prospects.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
It would also be used as a vehicle for cap circumvention... rich teams could sign guys to 8 year deals with 75% of the salary in signing bonuses, and later trade them to small markets for more than fair value in picks and prospects.
Another reason it’ll never happen. It’s just a ridiculous notion to begin with

Reactions: pth2

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
Have a funny feeling Buffalo might be involved. Only thing that would scare Kevyn Adams is the 3rd year on Petry’s deal perhaps when many of their key RFA’s need to be re-signed. But Petry would work well as a 2nd Pair RHD next to Power…

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
3 million is a nice chunk of change to save.

Curious, is there a place online that has these dates? I see the signing bonus on Capfriendly but no date with it. Or was it just reported.
With most it’s usually start of the year ( July 1) but that shoukd mean tomorrow unless contract is worded for a different date.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Petry to Carolina or Dallas is my guess.

However I also wouldn't be shocked if it's Price assuming he's healthy. New management probably wants to move on
Would be incredible but hard to imagine someone could afford that cap hit.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
@mouser

Was the typical signing bonus date pushed back in the MOU? Prior to the restart in 2020, the players still got their checks on July 1st (Link).

The Petry bonus narrative is debunked if it's already been paid.

Signing bonuses are not pushed back. Though any contracts signed after ~Sep 2021 could not have 2022-23 Signing Bonuses payable before July 13th. **wouldn't apply to Petry

I would note it's not a guarantee that Petry or any player's signing bonus is paid on July 1st. We use that as a default assumption, but there have been many reports of players having bonuses on later dates. For example it was reported that Price's signing bonus last year was due in September--after the Seattle expansion draft. There was another player whose bonus was split into two half payments in July and December.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Probably has something to do with cell phone and internet being down last weekend.... the paperwork is probably stuck in the outbox or drafts and Hughes forgot to check till this morning.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
One of;

* Petry to Dallas for Khudobin and Bourque
* Petry and Poehling to Carolina for Necas
Poehling has no value. The only way Carolina is giving up Necas for Petry is if Montreal is retaining a full 50%. And they still add another 2nd or 3rd.

Reactions: McJedi

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
That’s weird. I don’t think I’ve seen anything like this before.

Rangers and Sens in 2016. Rangers paid Brassard a $2m bonus on July 15th and then the trade for Zibanejad and a 2nd commenced but it was widely reported at the time that the trade was negotiated and agreed upon on the draft floor.

Ottawa is notorious for being cheap. What if this is around Petry to Ottawa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad