Rumor: Canadiens made a trade at the Draft that hasn't been announced yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I dunno
The unannounced trade could be Dvorak + 3rd for Dubois...
NO CHANCE!
First of all that’s no where close to the value.

Second, yes it appears there is an unnanounced trade but it’s not dubois. I really don’t see it as a fit at all especially now with Dach ….

And no, Dach would not be part of a trade lol

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
I would pass on Dubois then. Not like he has squeaky clean past. A lot of turmoil for his short time in NHL. We taking a risk also. No way Dubois gets full blown retail in return
Don't really want anything to do with Dubois. Hear his name in the news too much for not being happy, wanting to change teams etc. Sounds like he may be a little entitled. But..... former third overall pick so chances are he ends up a Hab.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Would you like you chin wiped after the spoon feeding?

Well, when you search "bonus" in the file he linked, I don't see where it says in the CBA that bonuses are paid on the 1st day of the season, but I'm no CBA expert. Secondly, the CBA is a long and complex document, so just linking it without giving some more info as to where to look is rather useless in proving a point.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Well, when you search "bonus" in the file he linked, I don't see where it says in the CBA that bonuses are paid on the 1st day of the season, but I'm no CBA expert. Secondly, the CBA is a long and complex document, so just linking it without giving some more info as to where to look is rather useless in proving a point.
Signing bonuses have historically been payments made on July 1/UFA day. I'm not aware of any current players, or ones in recent memory, that did any sort of deferment of pay a la Bobby Bonilla - who's still getting paid every year by the Mets.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Signing bonuses have historically been payments made on July 1/UFA day. I'm not aware of any current players, or ones in recent memory, that did any sort of deferment of pay a la Bobby Bonilla - who's still getting paid every year by the Mets.

I believe Brassard and it was paid the day before he was traded for Zibanejed

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

I agree they mostly are, but reading through this thread, there were two examples provided (Brassard and Ryan) that showed there are exceptions to that.

That's the discussion. One poster stated the CBA demands that they be paid on day 1 of the season, then linked the CBA, where I don't see it stating that so others were asking for where to look within the CBA.

Reactions: DaveG

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Stop it with the Dubois overhyping. That guy has proven literally nothing in the league except that he has a big ego and little to back it up.

Trading for him would be a big mistake. We’ve had enough of these mistakes in the past 10 years in Montreal. Give it a rest.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I agree they mostly are, but reading through this thread, there were two examples provided (Brassard and Ryan) that showed there are exceptions to that.

That's the discussion. One poster stated the CBA demands that they be paid on day 1 of the season, then linked the CBA, where I don't see it stating that so others were asking for where to look within the CBA.
I see. I'd suggest that they had it written into their contracts that it be paid at a specific time instead of the default.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
They’re waiting for the start of TSN’s Free Agent Frenzy to announce it in an effort to lend the show some legitimacy

• Haha
Reactions: FloJack

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Well, doesn't seem like this Phantom trade is happening....
We'll only know at the end of the day, really. If it's Petry for futures that aren't involved in the UFA silliness, there's no rush to announce it. It could even be already filed with the league.

Heck, stalling might give the Habs leverage in negotiating with UFAs to replace Petry, in that their need doesn't appear as dire.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
With all other trades leaked , I refuse to think that both teams are waiting at noon to announce it.

That trade would be leaked already.
Well, look at draft day - Dach was on the block, and the fact the Habs wanted another top 15 pick, but no one knew Romanov was in play...

The unannounced deal might end up having some parts that are known, and a surprise or two as well.

Half the leaks are likely deliberate ploys anyway, if there's no more "gamesmanship" between GMs since the deal is locked in, that's a lot of leaks that won't happen.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
With all other trades leaked , I refuse to think that both teams are waiting at noon to announce it.

That trade would be leaked already.

My gut tells me Hughes heard the media reports and called them to hold off from reporting anything more (at least the Quebec media anyways). Lots of seeds planted in possible trades but UFA free agency needs to play out first. I think this is what is at play.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Price won't waive for Toronto IMO and the Habs won't retain 50% to help the Leafs. Leafs won't give us our asking price either (if we retain 50%).

Price is not going anywhere soon. Maybe after next season if he plays 40-50 games
I think Price is unmovable unless he accepts a "Lecavalier" clause - ie, a promise to retire at the end of the season.
Retaining the amounts needed to make him a long-term attractive asset is insane from Montreal's point of view.... the acquiring team can get LTIR if his knee goes again, but if you retained, you are still retaining. I don't relish being 5M out of our cap for absolutely no good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad