Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
30261149_10156409762257652_5091562624215154688_n.jpg

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If you work under the sound assumption we will run out the big guns more in the playoffs, then your fourth line becomes less of an issue. When you consider Komorov is arguably the best PK forward on the team, is a pest, can grind, then maybe Babs isn't insane. I love Andreas, I would consider putting him before Leo, for a lot of reasons listed here. That said, you can do a lot worse than Leo Komorov on your fourth line in the playoffs, a lot. Never should have been on with Kadri, but where he is, I really have no quibble. Special teams may well be the difference, Komorov is elite in that PK regard. Anyways, back to the inane bashing of the best coach we've had in decades, who's brought us our best season in decades......#freeronwilson

Last edited:

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
If you work under the sound assumption we will run out the big guns more in the playoffs, then you're fourth line becomes less of an issue. When you consider Komorov is arguably the best PK forward on the team, is a pest, can grind, then maybe Babs isn't insane. I love Andreas, I would consider putting him before Leo, for a lot of reasons listed here. That said, you can do a lot worse than Leo Komorov on your fourth line in the playoffs, a lot. Never should have been on with Kadri, but where he is, I really have no quibble. Special teams may well be the difference, Komorov is elite in that PK regard. Anyways, back to bashing the best coach we've had in decades, who's brought us our best season in decades......

Plekanec, Komarov and Kapanen could be an effective counter line. Plekanec has had success against Boston in that role before.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
If you work under the sound assumption we will run out the big guns more in the playoffs, then you're fourth line becomes less of an issue. When you consider Komorov is arguably the best PK forward on the team, is a pest, can grind, then maybe Babs isn't insane. I love Andreas, I would consider putting him before Leo, for a lot of reasons listed here. That said, you can do a lot worse than Leo Komorov on your fourth line in the playoffs, a lot. Never should have been on with Kadri, but where he is, I really have no quibble. Special teams may well be the difference, Komorov is elite in that PK regard. Anyways, back to the inane bashing of the best coach we've had in decades, who's brought us our best season in decades......#freeronwilson

I want Horachek.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Mostly irrelevant this game but there's something to be said for ending the season on a high note. GLG!

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
If you work under the sound assumption we will run out the big guns more in the playoffs, then your fourth line becomes less of an issue. When you consider Komorov is arguably the best PK forward on the team, is a pest, can grind, then maybe Babs isn't insane. I love Andreas, I would consider putting him before Leo, for a lot of reasons listed here. That said, you can do a lot worse than Leo Komorov on your fourth line in the playoffs, a lot. Never should have been on with Kadri, but where he is, I really have no quibble. Special teams may well be the difference, Komorov is elite in that PK regard. Anyways, back to the inane bashing of the best coach we've had in decades, who's brought us our best season in decades......#freeronwilson

He used to be. He may still be good on the PK
Other than that I agree with most of what you said.
Komarov should never see PP time however

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He used to be. He may still be good on the PK
Other than that I agree with most of what you said.
Komarov should never see PP time however
Never on the PP, I agree. He's still darn good on the PK from what I've seen, hasn't slipped in that regard.

Reactions: Buds17 and glue

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
What about the sample size of Komarov playing 73 games and only getting 7 goals, 12 assists, for 19 points. He played most of the year on the second line with Kadri and Marleau. He got PP time. He got a lot of ice time. Not sure how much more evidence you need.

Johnsson has looked great. Is this really so difficult to understand? This is hockey 101. You play your better players. You don't keep good players on the bench for a vet who can't hack it anymore.

It's not all about points. It's also about role. Does Johnsson consistently do everything better than Leo? Almost everyone who has played on our 4th line has averaged in the .25 points game territory. So it's not about offense.

Reactions: ErnieLeafs

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It's not all about points. It's also about role. Does Johnsson consistently do everything better than Leo? Almost everyone who has played on our 4th line has averaged in the .25 points game territory. So it's not about offense.
yeah pretty much, other than hit

Reactions: Pi

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

This, here. It's about the jobs these guys are tasked with. Playoff hockey lends itself to Komarov's strengths.

Believe me, in a series against Boston, we'll need his pesky nature, and with the potential for bad blood, we'll need his PK abilities.

Reactions: DarkKnight

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
This, here. It's about the jobs these guys are tasked with. Playoff hockey lends itself to Komarov's strengths.

Believe me, in a series against Boston, we'll need his pesky nature, and with the potential for bad blood, we'll need his PK abilities.
this just isn't supported in reality. in the last playoffs, Komarov sucked. This regular season, Komarov has sucked. Why will he magically be good in the playoffs now?

Reactions: NiftyMits

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Or maybe there is a lot of shiny new toy syndrome around here. People just can never be happy with his line up decisions and always want to think they know best, and they are usually going off pathetic sample sizes. On HF the rookie is always better than the vet.

He'll get his chances, injuries are going to happen.
Or some people blindly accept any lineup and ignore how bad a guy like Komarov has been. He's barely been an NHLer this year. Johnsson isn't a shiny new toy, hes 24 and has been around for a long time. He's earned his spot just like Dermott and Kapanen have.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
So if Tampa wins their game tonight does that mean we face Boston in the playoffs?

Yes. But technically, if Tampa wins in a shootout, then Boston could match their ROW if Boston wins their last two in regulation or OT. What's the tie breaker after ROW? Goal differential?

Reactions: taurine330

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
For us to play Boston.

TB needs to lose or SO win, with Boston winning both of their remaining (In reg or OT, if TB wins in SO)

The breaker going in Bruins favour after ROW

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Yes. But technically, if Tampa wins in a shootout, then Boston could match their ROW if Boston wins their last two in regulation or OT. What's the tie breaker after ROW? Goal differential?
Points in season series between the two teams.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Plekanec, Komarov and Kapanen could be an effective counter line. Plekanec has had success against Boston in that role before.

i think the real issue is. Komarov has been relatively meh to bad all season. I mean. I know I'm generally the one who leans heavily on the "it's not that bad, patience" but... and thats the problem, there's the but. but we'll see what happens.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
this just isn't supported in reality. in the last playoffs, Komarov sucked. This regular season, Komarov has sucked. Why will he magically be good in the playoffs now?

not brokering an argument.
but define "sucked."in the playoffs.
was he on the ice for the majority of the goals?
did his PK unit get burned for more goals?
or was it just that he was slow and not as productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad