GDT: Canadiens@Leafs 7PM CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
AJ played so well against Buffalo on Monday.. Frustrating to see him not get back in.

Perhaps Babs' is giving Leo once last chance to show him why he should be in the playoff line up game 1 .. Give the veteran a longer leash to prove himself or something silly like that.

Or maybe there is a lot of shiny new toy syndrome around here. People just can never be happy with his line up decisions and always want to think they know best, and they are usually going off pathetic sample sizes. On HF the rookie is always better than the vet.

He'll get his chances, injuries are going to happen.

Reactions: WILDLIFEGUY

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I can't believe Andreas Johnsson is sitting. That is a ****ing joke.

Just another example of Babcock making clearly sub-optimal decisions. Seems like literally any other coach in the NHL would recognize that AJ is a heck of a lot better than Komarov... like it's not even close.

Oh well... Babcock gonna Babcock. At least our lines and roster are better than in October, November, December, and most of January.

Reactions: TimeZone

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Or maybe there is a lot of shiny new toy syndrome around here. People just can never be happy with his line up decisions and always want to think they know best, and they are usually going off pathetic sample sizes.

What about the sample size of Komarov playing 73 games and only getting 7 goals, 12 assists, for 19 points. He played most of the year on the second line with Kadri and Marleau. He got PP time. He got a lot of ice time. Not sure how much more evidence you need.

Johnsson has looked great. Is this really so difficult to understand? This is hockey 101. You play your better players. You don't keep good players on the bench for a vet who can't hack it anymore.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
AJ played so well against Buffalo on Monday.. Frustrating to see him not get back in.

Perhaps Babs' is giving Leo once last chance to show him why he should be in the playoff line up game 1 .. Give the veteran a longer leash to prove himself or something silly like that.

I think Babcock will go with Komarov for his playoff line-up, he tends to go with veterans in tight games, Johnsson has played well and will be in if anything happens.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Disappointed Komarov is in, since this is likely our game 1 line up. Johnsson should be in, and we should be icing our best line up, especially when the vet being catered to is likely gone after the season. There is not one single area Komarov can be justified as a significant upgrade over Johnsson, but there are a number of areas that Johnsson is a significant upgrade over Komarov.

Reactions: dsred

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
30226090_10156409735837652_6567385795974397952_n.jpg

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Or maybe there is a lot of shiny new toy syndrome around here. People just can never be happy with his line up decisions and always want to think they know best, and they are usually going off pathetic sample sizes. On HF the rookie is always better than the vet.

nope

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
anyone else not really mind if we lose?
habs could drop from the 4th best odds to the 6th best.
also leafs would be at worst the 25th pick if they don't make the conference finals, but could jump up to 4 more spots

Playoffs over draft for me. The win would set both a team and individual (Andersen) record too.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
#FreeAndreasJohnsson

Im going to be delusional and hope Babcock is giving Komarov a final game in a Leafs jersey before icing our best lineup for the playoffs.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
No injuries.

Marner get 70 points.

Andy gets the win record.

Leafs set a new franchise mark for points in a season.

That'd be a perfect wrap up for the regular season.
Couldn't'a said it any better myself, Bert! Go Leafs Go!

also leafs would be at worst the 25th pick if they don't make the conference finals, but could jump up to 4 more spots

does that 70pt mark get Marner an extra 500k a season or so?

If he finishes with 69pts, the leafs can use pastrnak (6.66mil, 70pts) as a comparable
If he gets 71 or 72, with the rising cap, he could argue for 7+
You sound like someone who's gonna have to get used to this whole 'being good' thing - Accept it, embrace it, enjoy it.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Just another example of Babcock making clearly sub-optimal decisions. Seems like literally any other coach in the NHL would recognize that AJ is a heck of a lot better than Komarov... like it's not even close.

Oh well... Babcock gonna Babcock. At least our lines and roster are better than in October, November, December, and most of January.
It's ironic that Babcock talks about how young players have to take someone's job. Johnsson has already taken Komarov's job, and its obvious to everyone except Babcock. I honestly believe even Komarov knows it.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
#FreeAndreasJohnsson

Im going to be delusional and hope Babcock is giving Komarov a final game in a Leafs jersey before icing our best lineup for the playoffs.

I think the earliest we can hope for is the game after a playoff loss... or a close win, but with Komarov doing something really bad like scoring in his own net.

Reactions: Leafidelity

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'm just going to shake my head on the Komarov bit. This isn't even preferring potential to a known quantity. Johnsson is already a better hockey player than Komarov. Not even just better offensively while being a defensive liability, he's better defensively. Sadly coaches are human and they'll make stupid decisions because they just like a guy more. Luckily it's only harming our fourth line...and maybe our powerplay (dang it).

But yeah, just play a good game. If they can't put up a good effort against Montreal it's not going to feel good going into the playoffs. This is the last warm-up game before they matter. At least show up.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
A forward might get injured it's great to have depth. If we go far in the playoffs AJ will be needed. If we bow out early; a) he won't be needed and b) likely wouldn't be the difference between winning and losing.

There is also the chance Uncle Leo elevates his game and becomes a difference maker once the playoff intensity ratchets up.

I do wish AJ was in though.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I just know that the Leafs are going to re-sign Uncle Leo to a 1 year deal a la Polak, and it's going to drive everyone nuts next year :laugh:

I wish I could find Komarov’s stats from when he’s on the 4th line only. I’m almost certain his numbers are so poor because he was playing against top competition.

It wouldn’t shock me to see Komarov sign a 1 year deal though.

There’s no way this management team and coaching staff are going to hand spots to young players and not have a couple vets in the mix

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
I’d bet my bottom dollar that Uncle Leo will change people’s minds come game 1 against Boston. Just wait...

With that being said I’d put Leivo in this game just for one last look,

Reactions: LeafsNation149

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I wish I could find Komarov’s stats from when he’s on the 4th line only. I’m almost certain his numbers are so poor because he was playing against top competition.

It wouldn’t shock me to see Komarov sign a 1 year deal though.

There’s no way this management team and coaching staff are going to hand spots to young players and not have a couple vets in the mix
we made the line changes on January 24th and since that time, Komarov has still been comfortably our worst possession forward. I'm sure his more advanced stats like xgf% are similar, but NHL.com doesn't have those

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Hopefully a nice little tuneup game before a rough series with Boston. Happy to see Dermott back and hopefully more time for our 4th line to gel.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
honestly, regarding Leo, y'all should have accepted it ages ago. (and before anyone starts with me, I've said that if it were up to me I would have AJ in, because I feel that line is faster so it's not Babcock catering or whatever some will call it). I also don't think it's as simple as some people are saying that "Babcock doesn't see it." because he's not stupid.

I think it's 'easier' (not necessarily right, just 'easier') to go with the more established player going into the playoffs vs. going with what's right, on the off chance it pays off. You can justify it (or say 'finally!!") when Leo gets swapped in for AJ (or heck even Leivo) if that line seriously suffers in game one or something, or if the PK struggles or something, because then in your head it's like "okay maybe the new person will be a lot better." (even though he will be, we hope).

I feel that for a lot of coaches they'd go with the known Quantity first, vs risking the chance that the better option might not be up to task for whatever reason, then you have really no option. it doesn't really make sense but coaches minds are weird. We'll more than likely see AJ in game 2 (if that line struggles, win or lose), but heck, for all we know, AJ is in and this is Leo getting his paces before he sits again because he missed a lot of time with that injury.

Reactions: glue

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
No. we havent swept montreal in a season series since 1993. We ain't letting that opportunity slip away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad