Prospect Info: Canadiens 2016 Rookie Tournament Thread (Sept 16th to 18th)

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I also have vague memories of the name. If I recall correctly, he was one of the Junior`s highly touted early midget choices. But he ended up being a bust. Basically a lots of flash, little substance player.

He was great with Chicoutimi though. Leading scorer 2 of the 3 years he was there (1 point behind Hudon in the 3rd year).

Was meh in the ECHL with 3 assists in 11 games, but was a force in the CIS. Top scorer of the league last year.

Might do well in the ECHL this time around if he gets and AHL deal.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Guillaume Asselin was the Montreal Junior first ever pick when they moved to Verdun from Saint John's. Back then they had Pascal Vincent, Dominic Ducharme and Joel Bouchard as coaches (not kidding). He was highly touted, and I was so excited to see him develop with the Juniors but he kind of was a letdown. If I am not mistaken, he was part of the deal that brought Louis Leblanc to Verdun. The Juniors paid a huge package to get Leblanc for only one season, and Asselin actually went on to have far more success with the Sags than Leblanc in Verdun.

Asselin is a very skilled player but from what I remember lacks foot speed and strength.

Can't wait to see how he does in camp!

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Players:

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=114276

Schedule, first practice tomorrow:

Schedule - Canadiens 2016 Rookie Camp / Tournament

Thursday, September 15: 1 p.m. Practice (Bell Sports Complex – Brossard)

Friday, September 16: 9:30 a.m. Practice (London)

3:35 p.m. Game vs. Pittsburgh (London)

Saturday, September 17: 10:30 a.m. Practice (London)

7 p.m. Game vs. Toronto (London)

Sunday, September 18: 8 a.m. Practice (London)

1 p.m. Game vs. Ottawa (London)

Monday, September 19: Day off

Tuesday, September 20: 1 p.m. Practice (Bell Sports Complex – Brossard)

Wednesday, September 21: 10:30 a.m. Practice (Bell Sports Complex – Brossard)

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Guillaume Asselin was the Montreal Junior first ever pick when they moved to Verdun from Saint John's. Back then they had Pascal Vincent, Dominic Ducharme and Joel Bouchard as coaches (not kidding). He was highly touted, and I was so excited to see him develop with the Juniors but he kind of was a letdown. If I am not mistaken, he was part of the deal that brought Louis Leblanc to Verdun. The Juniors paid a huge package to get Leblanc for only one season, and Asselin actually went on to have far more success with the Sags than Leblanc in Verdun.

Asselin is a very skilled player but from what I remember lacks foot speed and strength.

Can't wait to see how he does in camp!

Wow thanks...I just woke up. For sure I know Asselin. He was highly touted indeed and highly skilled. Didn't have awesome foot speed but at some point looked like a poor man's Drouin. Really elusive. Lack of stats also hurt him, not lack as in no stats, but lack of improvement.

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Hudon is not there because he has played 2 full Pro seasons. I think the tournament is limited to guys who have played less than 2 seasons in the AHL.

The article doesn't mention who will be covering the games. I know TSN will have it on the radio. I think there will be some TV coverage as well.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
Wow thanks...I just woke up. For sure I know Asselin. He was highly touted indeed and highly skilled. Didn't have awesome foot speed but at some point looked like a poor man's Drouin. Really elusive. Lack of stats also hurt him, not lack as in no stats, but lack of improvement.

Wasn't there also something about mentality/character/maturity with Asselin back then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad