Canadian Soccer Part VI; O CANADA O BABY

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
So we managed to avoid Brazil and France which is the best news out of this draw.

As I said a week ago no one is afraid of Croatia anymore, Morocco no one is really checking for them and Belgium are prone to choke in tournaments.

Before this tournament I would play a friendly game against Egypt and Serbia just to get acclimated.

Far, very far from a hard group. We can do it.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
At least we'll be playing Belgium and Croatia in 2022 and not 4-10 years ago :laugh:

Canada will definitely enter as good sized underdogs to get out of the group stage.

Belgiums performance at the Euro's and in recent fixtures leaves me somewhat optimistic we should see Canada get scoring chances against their weak backline. Belgiums strength is at their MF and strikers. Canada's MF and CB's may get severely exposed if they try to open it up or attempt a high press, so I fully expect a really defensive minded strategy with Davis, David and Buchanen trying to capitalize off the counter.

Croatia, very similar...but their MF isn't as strong as it used to be. Still have world class talent on the squad and we may see Canada employ a passive strategy, allowing them to dictate possession.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Belgiums performance at the Euro's and in recent fixtures leaves me somewhat optimistic we should see Canada get scoring chances against their weak backline. Belgiums strength is at their MF and strikers. Canada's MF and CB's may get severely exposed if they try to open it up or attempt a high press, so I fully expect a really defensive minded strategy with Davis, David and Buchanen trying to capitalize off the counter.

Croatia, very similar...but their MF isn't as strong as it used to be. Still have world class talent on the squad and we may see Canada employ a passive strategy, allowing them to dictate possession.

Kamal Anthony Miller will make Lukaka his bitch, don't you worry

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
We avoided Group E so i'm good.

Belgium look like group winners so can we get enough from Croatia and Morocco?

Morocco have some of the best talent in Africa but can they repair the relationship with Ziyech?

Croatia? Goalkeeping is wash if not an edge to Canada.

The backline of Croatia is rugged although not overly athletic. Lovren and Vida have experience but are not stars. We have more athleticism at the fullback or wing back positions.

Kovacic's ability to drive and Modric's ability to spray passes will be the key for us to stop...

Canada arguably have more in attack than Brekalo, Rebic and Kramaric can provide.

Heck of a matchup...

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

Ha, I'm not so knowledgeable but when I saw Japan get drawn there and then the first few picks of pot 4... I was concerned that's where we were ending up (because we couldn't end up with Mexico or the US and the next 2-3 draws if they weren't us were getting placed there). I'm happy we avoided that group too.

Germany, Spain, Japan. Rough. I watched Germany and Spain win FIFA tournaments in the past and Japan always seems like a high energy team so it would have been a slog. I get the players are different than the past but I have to imagine being larger countries and football first countries... they're still way better than Canada.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Just to give an update on Croatia

Goalkeeping is an issue, they used three in qualifiers and none have looked overly convincing, Grbic who started the later stages of qualifying looked the best but is now a bench player for Lille

Defense is better than 2 years ago, Vida has been phased out (might be part of the squad but definitely not a starter anymore) and Lovren isn't a lock either. The defense got younger and more athletic with Caleta-Car, Gvardiol, Pongracic while the wing backs are decent but not a lot of depth at that position. However a team thats strong on set pieces will cause Croatia problems

Midfield is still strong but you wonder if Modric can play full 90 three times in a short span, another potential issue is Perisic is also getting up there in age and the lack of form by Vlasic but its the part of the team with the most depth by far, a guy like Majer who is doing well at Rennes for example can barely get in the squad. The major issue is never replacing Mandzukic, its possible Croatia enter the World Cup playing a false nine but they have the Nations League and pre-tournament friendlies to hope somebody from the U21s develops, mainly looking at Simic who should break into Salzburg's first team

Last edited:
Reactions: PanniniClaus

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
So we managed to avoid Brazil and France which is the best news out of this draw.

As I said a week ago no one is afraid of Croatia anymore, Morocco no one is really checking for them and Belgium are prone to choke in tournaments.

Before this tournament I would play a friendly game against Egypt and Serbia just to get acclimated.

Morocco is a better squad than Canada and they have an elite goaltender. I hope Canada goes through but they got a tough draw.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I don't see Canada having any chance in this group. Watching twitter canadians seem to overrate their team a bit too much lol

I don't think any group would've been better.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I don't see Canada having any chance in this group. Watching twitter canadians seem to overrate their team a bit too much lol

Canadians on Twitter say a lot of shit.

No knowledgeable soccer fans have Canada escaping this group. One W result and some goals are where most people are going with the expectations right now. I'm hoping we can be competitive (even in a loss) against some of the Worlds best national teams.

You also never know as well. Costa Rica was some fodder team that was pegged to finish at the bottom of the table in 2014 against an Italian team that went to the 2012 Euro finals, England team that had quality and a Uruguayan team that had 4 years prior made the WC Semi's, and had a prime Suarez and Cavani. They beat Italy and Uruguay and drew against England.

Will something like that happen with Canada? Odds are overwhelmingly "no." However the WC brings some massive upsets and surprises.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It's funny how some Canadians are sleeping on Morroco as well. Obviously, that will be the matchup that we have the best chance of getting 3 points in, but man even that is a tough one.

Hakimi, En Nesryi, Boufal, Saiss, Malcuit, Mazraoui, etc. There are some really solid players in that squad and who knows maybe they even rebuild the relationship with Ziyech to get better.

Our team is good and we know the guys will give all 90 minutes there all but let's not sleep on anyone in this tournament.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It's funny how some Canadians are sleeping on Morroco as well. Obviously, that will be the matchup that we have the best chance of getting 3 points in, but man even that is a tough one.

Hakimi, En Nesryi, Boufal, Saiss, Malcuit, Mazraoui, etc. There are some really solid players in that squad and who knows maybe they even rebuild the relationship with Ziyech to get better.

Our team is good and we know the guys will give all 90 minutes there all but let's not sleep on anyone in this tournament.

One good thing is that En Nesryi is in absolutely horrendous form.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY

I have no idea where this comes from re: Belgium. Sure they haven't won a tournament yet, but they don't crash out in the early rounds either. They have a record of 11 wins and 1 loss (the only loss 2-0 to Italy in the 2016 Euros) over the last 8 years in group stages at the WC/Euros (so 4-0 in the R16, but 1-3 in the QF and 0-1 in the SF). They've never failed to make the QF's in those tournaments. A repeat of their previous tournament performances certainly won't help Canada.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I have no idea where this comes from re: Belgium. Sure they haven't won a tournament yet, but they don't crash out in the early rounds either. They have a record of 11 wins and 1 loss (the only loss 2-0 to Italy in the 2016 Euros) over the last 8 years in group stages at the WC/Euros (so 4-0 in the R16, but 1-3 in the QF and 0-1 in the SF). They've never failed to make the QF's in those tournaments. A repeat of their previous tournament performances certainly won't help Canada.
They have been touted as a world-beating team that is on the brink of winning for a decade now, and have failed to live up to that in every tournament. They often beat minnows in the group but struggle when the knockouts come around.

So I guess I see it both ways . Overrated in the grand scheme of world football but should definitely be feared in the group stage of the tournaments.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland

Yeah, I find it all a bit confusing but I guess I’m willing to forgive excitement and the fact that (no offence intended here) the average Canadian isn’t all that knowledgeable with regards to world football. A lot of unearned arrogance across social media though.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
They have been touted as a world-beating team that is on the brink of winning for a decade now, and have failed to live up to that in every tournament. They often beat minnows in the group but struggle when the knockouts come around.

So I guess I see it both ways . Overrated in the grand scheme of world football but should definitely be feared in the group stage of the tournaments.
I dunno man. Once you get to the last 8 in tournaments as deep as the WC and Euros, there's usually not much between the teams. The only loss out of the 4 I'd really say was a shock result was the 3-1 loss to Wales in the 2016 Euro. Other than that they lost to eventual runners-up Argentina in 2014, eventual champ France in 2018, and eventual champ Italy in 2021 (after beating holders Portugal in the R16). It's hard to win a major tournament.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

Belgium look like group winners so can we get enough from Croatia and Morocco?

Morocco have some of the best talent in Africa but can they repair the relationship with Ziyech?

Croatia? Goalkeeping is wash if not an edge to Canada.

The backline of Croatia is rugged although not overly athletic. Lovren and Vida have experience but are not stars. We have more athleticism at the fullback or wing back positions.

Kovacic's ability to drive and Modric's ability to spray passes will be the key for us to stop...

Canada arguably have more in attack than Brekalo, Rebic and Kramaric can provide.

Heck of a matchup...

Rebic has not been called to the side since last EURO and I would be surprised if he is recalled at all.

Don’t see a pairing of Lovren and Vida happening as it would be a disaster. You will likely see a mix of Juranovic, Sosa and Gvardiol as part of the back line in combo with Vida. I’d say Stanisic too, but I don’t think he plays a roll in this WC cycle. Lovren should be riding the pine and be super pumped he’s even on the squad.

Don’t forget Brozovic in the midfield as well. He’s a pit bull. Be aware of Lovro Majer who is playing well this season in France. The midfield is the strength of this team. No doubt.

The strikers won’t scare anyone. I miss Mandzukic. Great work rate and showed up when it counted.

Still have Perisic who will be a threat on the wings.

It will be a tough game but I would expect Croatia to get the result. Too bad both my countries have been drawn together. Hoping both can progress to the knockout stage.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yeah, I find it all a bit confusing but I guess I’m willing to forgive excitement and the fact that (no offence intended here) the average Canadian isn’t all that knowledgeable with regards to world football. A lot of unearned arrogance across social media though.

I think it's more that Belgium/Croatia are seen as older teams and the average Canadian fan probably doesn't know squat about Morocco's players. I'm psyched to have my country at the WC but their squad is a clear fourth in that group. They're also facing Courtois and Bounou, who are top 10 goalkeepers, with Courtois top-5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad