Canadian Soccer Part III

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Felt good to be at Spruce Meadows tonight. Cavalry continue to be Calgary's best kept secret.
upload_2021-8-4_3-27-30.jpeg

Its uh, interesting looking ground.Do they sell seats where that building is?

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Felt good to be at Spruce Meadows tonight. Cavalry continue to be Calgary's best kept secret.
I watched the second half. Edmonton thought they were being cute subbing off Warchewski and Aird up 1-0....not three minutes later the game turned completely.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Oh ya they sell seats all around, including I think VIP seats near that building on the right of the photo that's super far away from the field.
Looks worse than any seats in stadium with athletic track. How much do they go for relative to good seats?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Looks worse than any seats in stadium with athletic track. How much do they go for relative to good seats?

The seats in this section are $150 and include free buffet food I think? I've never even bothered looking into it. The sightlines look awful and I can't imagine spending that kinda money to go to one of these games.

I usually sit behind the end goal- $35/ticket, great atmosphere.

View from last night:
upload_2021-8-4_21-20-53.png

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Any word on when the venues for our home qualifiers are announced? Less than a month now till kickoff.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Football in this country was a total joke 20 years ago. I was pretty much forced to take my youth career abroad because coaches and structures here were criminally bad. No one wanted to play any defensive minded football, players would bunch up around the middle and the gameplan would involve numerous long-balls and ugly chasing football.

What we've witnessed in this country in the past 10 years has been astonishing to say the least. It started with John Herdman inspiring the Canadian women to take the next step from a team that got zero wins, and one measly goal in 2011 to a team that nearly beat the USA a year later and eventually won Bronze. It culminated to this. Proper football, no reliance on one single player, solid well managed squad that played tidy football throughout the tournament.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Football in this country was a total joke 20 years ago. I was pretty much forced to take my youth career abroad because coaches and structures here were criminally bad. No one wanted to play any defensive minded football, players would bunch up around the middle and the gameplan would involve numerous long-balls and ugly chasing football.

What we've witnessed in this country in the past 10 years has been astonishing to say the least. It started with John Herdman inspiring the Canadian women to take the next step from a team that got zero wins, and one measly goal in 2011 to a team that nearly beat the USA a year later and eventually won Bronze. It culminated to this. Proper football, no reliance on one single player, solid well managed squad that played tidy football throughout the tournament.
I think that in 50 years time, John Herdman may well be looked at as the Father of Modern Canadian Football. Transforming BOTH the women's and the men's national teams into competitive sides and kickstarting a period of talent, growth and development that could be permanently transformative.

The fact that he wasn't born here but came to the country as an unheralded coach, finding success through hard work and determination, and contributing to society and sport - that is just so fittingly Canadian that you couldn't script a better story.

Last edited:

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Just a note that Columbus started Liam Fraser in central defense tonight...alongside Mensah. Versatility can't hurt.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
btw, if you ever wondered how popular Christine Sinclair is with her club teammates in Portland:

I don't think any of them are even Canadian, so this is purely happiness for their teammate.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We'll see where he ends up...or how true this is.

Buchanan has been really good this season and also during the Gold Cup. With an Olympic aged front four of Davies, David, Buchanan, and Akinola in upcoming years as the nucleus of Canada’s attack, that’s easily top two in the region among U23 front fours.

Now Canada needs to start producing some players other than attackers. When that happens, Canada will start to be a real threat a towards the top of CONCACAF and also outside the region. I think within another few years that’ll start to happen.

Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

Theo Corbeanu on loan this season to Sheffield Wednesday from Wolves.

Didn't play in their first match but hopefully with the move, he'll get playing time.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

Club Brugge would be one of the Champions League clubs. I've seen rumors that SC Freiburg would be the Bundesliga club.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Club Brugge would be one of the Champions League clubs. I've seen rumors that SC Freiburg would be the Bundesliga club.

What's the starting depth like at Freiburg? I'd almost rather he get more playing time on a "lower" league club like Brugge if he's going to be blocked from significant playing time at Freiburg.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
What's the starting depth like at Freiburg? I'd almost rather he get more playing time on a "lower" league club like Brugge if he's going to be blocked from significant playing time at Freiburg.
They generally go 3-4-3 (3-4-1-2) as well and Taj would be a more electric option than either of Schmid or Gunter but Gunter and Schmid form a large part of the leadership team there. Taj's talent would force his way in, in my opinion. Freiburg generally go for functional over razzle dazzle so this would be a step out of the norm for them.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They generally go 3-4-3 (3-4-1-2) as well and Taj would be a more electric option than either of Schmid or Gunter but Gunter and Schmid form a large part of the leadership team there. Taj's talent would force his way in, in my opinion. Freiburg generally go for functional over razzle dazzle so this would be a step out of the norm for them.
Thanks. Hopefully him and his agent weigh all the pros and cons and make the best decision.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad