Canadian Soccer Part III

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
BC Place got two in the round before the hex in 2016. Mexico and Honduras. You gotta think with seven home dates bc place gets a few again.

I would think any games in Nov, Jan, Feb and Mar will be played at BC place. No other option.

The rest will be at BMO Field... Wish they would have one TD Place in Ottawa... Wishful thinking I am aware.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I would think any games in Nov, Jan, Feb and Mar will be played at BC place. No other option.

The rest will be at BMO Field... Wish they would have one TD Place in Ottawa... Wishful thinking I am aware.
Man, I can’t wait. I had such a wicked time at the 2-0 win over Honduras, and the atmosphere for Canada-Mexico was insane, from the marching Mexican fans on the way to the stadium, to being part of a colorful and divided 55,000 person crowd.

Now that it looks like Canada can give them a game?

Yes please.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Looking forward to this Fall, lots to build on!
That's my perspective. As tired and irritated as i am this morning, you can't overlook just how well this team has played, no matter who is in or out of the lineup. It's the most positive and cohesive a unit as i've ever seen.

Eventually i will have to come around to Herdman. He's leaving me no choice.

Onward and upward.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Proud of the boys, they fought hard. Tough result but many, many positives going forward.

Get everyone healed up for the fall and make some noise!

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015

You want David and Davies playing on that garbage synthetic field?

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Coming out party for Buchanan. Shouldn't be long before he finds himself playing in Europe.

Hoilett showing he can still play too. Hopefully he can find himself a home.

Can't wait for the Buchanan>Pulisic take kek.

Reactions: Tuggy

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I did not have the chance to watch the game, from what I am reading, we got CONCACAF'd again?

Just watched it. Canada looks really intimidated to start, but you could see the confidence growing in that 2nd half. Played inspiring football and really unlucky to get a positive result.

You just have to feel good about this squads chances going forward. Gone are the days of de Guzman, Dunfield, and Johnson do nothing creative at midfield.

Side note: Mexico always gets favorable officiating in the USA and on their grounds. Completely different story when they go abroad and really fizzle out in big tournaments.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I read a month ago where Baldisimo is considering a switch to the Philippines. I was a bit dismissive of it at the time but after watching the last few games for Vancouver... i have been impressed. His ability to turn and deliver a precise ball is very good. His tackling has been a bit rash..(5 yellows in short order) but there may be something there.

Petey But Really Jim

Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I read a month ago where Baldisimo is considering a switch to the Philippines. I was a bit dismissive of it at the time but after watching the last few games for Vancouver... i have been impressed. His ability to turn and deliver a precise ball is very good. His tackling has been a bit rash..(5 yellows in short order) but there may be something there.
For what possible reason would someone do that? They have less shot making it out of Asia as Canada ever has getting out of concacaf. Am I taking crazy pills here or is it completely a no brainer to choose Canada, given his years in the Caps’ academy, being from Vancouver, and playing his youth internationals for us?

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
For what possible reason would someone do that? They have less shot making it out of Asia as Canada ever has getting out of concacaf. Am I taking crazy pills here or is it completely a no brainer to choose Canada, given his years in the Caps’ academy, being from Vancouver, and playing his youth internationals for us?
I've not heard anything from Baldisimo on it so i really can only speculate.

1. He feels the call will never come from Canada
2. He feels some pull to a country of a parents birth. I find this happens more often when a player is in their later 20's
3. Any opportunity to pull on a national team jersey of any kind can open doors and you put yourself in a shop window somewhere in the world. Sometimes the decision can be business.

Petey But Really Jim

Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I've not heard anything from Baldisimo on it so i really can only speculate.

1. He feels the call will never come from Canada
2. He feels some pull to a country of a parents birth. I find this happens more often when a player is in their later 20's
3. Any opportunity to pull on a national team jersey of any kind can open doors and you put yourself in a shop window somewhere in the world. Sometimes the decision can be business.
I admit I don’t know about the player. If he feels he isn’t Canadian quality, all the power to him. What a great problem to have as a Canadian supporter. I have a running bet with a friend of mine who is a USMNT supporter that Canada will make the World Cup before the Americans win one. I think I am going to win that bet for Qatar 2022.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The Canadian women coming off a win in penalties against brazil just knocked off the US 1-0 to move on to the gold medal match.

It seems they save all their magic for the Olympics, as this will be the 3rd Olympics in a row where they get a medal.

Petey But Really Jim

Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Looking forward to the Octagon...we will play Mexico with no fans so that's good.

As far as I know the Mexican women will serve that penalty so the men don’t. I swear I read that.

haha - who knows. It will be the same Sunday.. dozen bottles of cerveza and there will be a second half sing song that will stop the game...

sorry for the random delayed reply, but this is what I was talking about. The mexican federation tried to have the women serve the penalty but mexican congress stepped in and ruled that as gender inequity

‘Sin Vergüenza’: Mexican Soccer Wanted Women To Pay The Penalty The Men’s Team Earned | Texas Standard

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Eustaquiao is the most important player in the squad imho just solely due to how vital CM is. With him we have a chance to actually assert ourselves in midfield vs Mexico and Esa in the region. His ability to turn under pressure, vision, passing range, and skill is unparalleled to any other of our midfielders, which isnt a surprise considering where he learnt how to play. With him we have someone that can give the ball to Davies/David/Buchanen in key moments and in stride when their free for a split second, and someone who can control the play. Something I've never witnessed Canada against any half decent team.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I think this is the main reason for him. I agree though, he has looked good this season.

A lot of confusion is because his brother elected to play for the Philippines. Matthew Baldisimo had no shot of ever getting a callup for Canada. Michael Baldisimo is better and will likely get his opportunity; he's already turned down 1 invitation from the Philippines. There aren't many options that are U23 other than Raposo and Colyn going forward for Canada.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
A lot of confusion is because his brother elected to play for the Philippines. Matthew Baldisimo had no shot of ever getting a callup for Canada. Michael Baldisimo is better and will likely get his opportunity; he's already turned down 1 invitation from the Philippines. There aren't many options that are U23 other than Raposo and Colyn going forward for Canada.
Comes down to Money.

As a Philippine International I believe he counts as a domestic in most Asian leagues opening up a well salaried move.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
This is good to know. I do think Michael has a shot to contribute to our national team. One poster mentioned Eustaquio above.. Baldisimo has some similar qualities although perhaps not the set piece part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad