Olympics: Canada's Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium released its interactive Viewers' Guide

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
Homies,

I just got off the phone with a director of communications at CTV. This media release (dated Jan 12th) is just the HIGHLIGHTS -- it is NOT the complete schedule.

I asked specifically if the midnight (Eastern) games of the Prelim Round would be televised and he said Yes. (ie; the two Russia games and the Sweden -Finland)

the full schedule will be announced (with much fanfare) Feb 1st.

no need to freak out about the missing games -- that list is just some "highlights"

peace n progress,
Lanny

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
I would not count on the states broadcasting every game they may but i would not count on it.The broadcast schedule does not blow at all it likely will be the best out of all the countrys.Very few will be on air live as much as ctv etc.

For Salt Lake and Turin NBC and its affiliates broadcast every mens game live, something we have never had in Canada, also the US games were commercial free. Unfortunately many of the games were on MSNBC and CNBC and the games were blocked for Canadian subscribers. I will hope for better coverage this year in Canada, but I won't hold my breathe.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I'm hoping this is some how wrong, but here's the schedule they put up on CTV.

http://ctvmedia.ca/olympics/releases/release.asp?id=12052&yyyy=2010

The preliminary round coverage blows big time. Other than the Canada games there are a few others on RDS (french only??).
As far as I can tell they are not airing the following games:

Feb 17 CZE - SVK
Feb 18 RUS - SVK
Feb 21 RUS - CZE
Feb 21 SWE - FIN

Maybe the Americans will save us, as I recall they televised every game in Salt Lake...

I noticed some of the women's games are on V. What is V? I've never heard of that channel and somehow I doubt I get it. Why would they show Canada women's games on some channel not carried nationally?

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
I noticed some of the women's games are on V. What is V? I've never heard of that channel and somehow I doubt I get it. Why would they show Canada women's games on some channel not carried nationally?

its a French channel

http://vtele.ca/

its only network highlights right now, so maybe theres a chance it'll be on other networks too

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
its a French channel

http://vtele.ca/

its only network highlights right now, so maybe theres a chance it'll be on other networks too

Well I guess I can always watch the games on the net. Then again they didn't show listings for OLN and APTN, so I imagine some of the games should be on one or the other. Does anyone know if the CRTC has lifted the license requirements for channels? If not, then I guess there won't be hockey on OLN, since it prohibits stick and ball sports.

I also wonder whether this consortium will come up with a common name? If not, I figure the second day of competition will feature at least one broadcaster not remember which channel they are actually on.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Maybe my expectations are too high, but I was hoping by now all the games would be available in HD. On-line is okay, but I've got to have my 1080!

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
I'm confident all games involving any one of the top six teams will be televised -- they've got the networks to do it, and I'm sure their market research shows hockey to be far-and-away the most popular sport at the games.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
For Salt Lake and Turin NBC and its affiliates broadcast every mens game live, something we have never had in Canada, also the US games were commercial free. Unfortunately many of the games were on MSNBC and CNBC and the games were blocked for Canadian subscribers. I will hope for better coverage this year in Canada, but I won't hold my breathe.

Well from my understanding every event will be broadcast.For canada they have 15 channels that are commited to the olympics.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
NBC has posted their complete Olympics schedule on NBCOlympics.com - click on TV Listings.

United States - vs Switzerland (Feb 16) and vs Norway (Feb 18) will be LIVE on USA -
3:00 pm ET-6:00 pm ET. vs Canada (Feb 21) will be LIVE on MSNBC - 7:00 pm ET-10:00 pm ET.

The United States quarterfinal game (Feb 24) will be LIVE on NBC - 3:00 pm ET-5:30 pm ET.

If United States makes the semifinals (Feb 26) and doesn't face Canada, their game will be the
first semifinal and it will be shown LIVE on NBC - 3:00 pm ET-5:30 pm ET. If United States makes
the semifinals and faces Canada, their game will be the second semifinal and it will be shown LIVE
on CNBC - 9:30 pm ET-12:00 am ET.

If United States doesn't make the semifinals at all or if they have to play Canada in the second semifinal -
I wouldn't be surprise if NBC moves coverage of the first semifinal to either USA or CNBC - no MSNBC as
they are scheduled to show speed skating at the time. My guess - USA - as they are already showing the
Olympics that afternoon (womens curling bronze medal match - 12:00 pm ET-3:00 pm ET) and that would
free up CNBC to show non Olympic programing. NBC could then show more snowboarding/biathlon coverage.

The Bronze Medal game (Feb 27) will be LIVE on MSNBC - 10:00 pm ET-12:30 am ET.
The Gold Medal game (Feb 28) will be LIVE on NBC - 3:00 pm ET-6:00 pm ET.

NBC will also be showing the Czech Republic-Russia game (Feb 21) LIVE - 3:00 pm ET-5:30 pm ET.
The rest of the games will be shown LIVE on either CNBC and MSNBC.

LS...

Last edited:

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
NBC's coverage is pathetic. Hockey is the premier winter olympic sport in North America, and yet they have they are scheduled to show like 4 games. They won't even show the Canada-US game.

I realize that most people there have CNBC, MSNBC and USA but still. If CTV didn't show all team Canada games there would be outrage.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
NBC's coverage is pathetic. Hockey is the premier winter olympic sport in North America, and yet they have they are scheduled to show like 4 games. They won't even show the Canada-US game.

I realize that most people there have CNBC, MSNBC and USA but still. If CTV didn't show all team Canada games there would be outrage.

Not in the USA. That distinction belongs to *shudders* figure skating :shakehead

XtremeDave

Feb 10, 2007
Southern California
Not in the USA. That distinction belongs to *shudders* figure skating :shakehead

NBC doesnt view the Olympics (Winter or Summer) as a sporting event such as the Stanley Cup Finals or the Super Bowl. To the executives at NBC Universal, the Olympics is the ultimate reality show, so the primary focus for NBC is Olympic events that can be made into human interest stories, and appeal to non-sports fans.

As sad as it is, this is why hockey and other sports will be relegated to USA, MSNBC, etc., because they cannot dramatize USA-Canada hockey to the average American TV viewer. This was the case even with Basketball at the Beijing games, where very few games made it onto NBC, and instead were placed onto the cable networks.

To me, the biggest disgrace that NBC is doing with the Vancouver games is continuing their tradition of delaying the prime time broadcasts on NBC to the west coast. Instead of seeing the events live as they should be, NBC is delaying the broadcast 3 hours like any other prime time show, instead of the sporting event that it is. Because of this, I am very happy to see that no hockey games will be on the NBC broadcast network, and instead be on cable, where they will be seen live nationwide.

grind your soul

Belak forever
Jul 1, 2006
Toronto
NBC has posted their complete Olympics schedule on NBCOlympics.com - click on TV Listings.

United States - vs Switzerland (Feb 16) and vs Norway (Feb 18) will be LIVE on USA -
3:00 pm ET-6:00 pm ET. vs Canada (Feb 21) will be LIVE on MSNBC - 7:00 pm ET-10:00 pm ET.

The United States quarterfinal game (Feb 24) will be LIVE on NBC - 3:00 pm ET-5:30 pm ET.

If United States makes the semifinals (Feb 26) and doesn't face Canada, their game will be the
first semifinal and it will be shown LIVE on NBC - 3:00 pm ET-5:30 pm ET. If United States makes
the semifinals and faces Canada, their game will be the second semifinal and it will be shown LIVE
on CNBC - 9:30 pm ET-12:00 am ET.

If United States doesn't make the semifinals at all or if they have to play Canada in the second semifinal -
I wouldn't be surprise if NBC moves coverage of the first semifinal to either USA or CNBC - no MSNBC as
they are scheduled to show speed skating at the time. My guess - USA - as they are already showing the
Olympics that afternoon (womens curling bronze medal match - 12:00 pm ET-3:00 pm ET) and that would
free up CNBC to show non Olympic programing. NBC could then show more snowboarding/biathlon coverage.

The Bronze Medal game (Feb 27) will be LIVE on MSNBC - 10:00 pm ET-12:30 am ET.
The Gold Medal game (Feb 28) will be LIVE on NBC - 3:00 pm ET-6:00 pm ET.

NBC will also be showing the Czech Republic-Russia game (Feb 21) LIVE - 3:00 pm ET-5:30 pm ET.
The rest of the games will be shown LIVE on either CNBC and MSNBC.

LS...

Man, that just sucks.

Hopefully Canada will show all the U.S. games on networks I get. I don't get RDS or V, so missing a bunch of games due to that would really suck.

Edit: removed potential flaming

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
Hopefully Canada will show all the U.S. games on networks I get. I don't get RDS or V, so missing a bunch of games due to that would really suck.

Dude, don't worry. Those are just the French networks that will also be broadcasting games. The CTV Networks are going to air all three games each day. Notice how they announced three play-by-play guys? (Cuthbert, Miller & Loubardias)

They have the network space to do it — ie; enough channels that they can air everything live on basic cable from coast to coast.

The full schedule with network breakdown will be released Feb 1st.

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
USA vs Canada is on MSNBC? What a joke.

Actually, this is a very good thing. Besides the fact that it's a great (daytime) network that maybe more people will tune into, but it's off the beaten track. "NBC" proper will do short excerpts from different sports and lots of talking heads and packaged background pieces and blah blah blah.

They leave MSNBC alone and they show the whole games uninterrupted, and they have the A-list hockey guests in America, and better analysis than Don Cherry gives ya, that's for sure — and all without having to cow-tow to the American Idol masses. It's hockeyheads' little secret hideaway on the cable dial each Olympics.

the skipper

Jan 16, 2010
Canada
I found a site that had a "pay for view" type idea on line to view all of the games. I am hoping the Olympics will have something like this also. Canada , US , Russia are all nice but I'm part German and wish to see them play.

DAkings20

Kings can't score
Dec 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Its actually good that most hockey games aren't on NBC in the US for west coasters, because then they will be shown live and not on ****ing tape delay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad