GDT: Canada v Finland (Gold Medal Game)

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Canada had the most NHL talent at the worlds, but considering that they dropped the first three games, this was an impressive path to gold.
Worlds-Canada nows ties Soviet/Russian all time gold medal total, at 27.
Olympics-Canada has 13 Olympic gold vs Soviet/Russian total of 9.

Reactions: jj cale

swissdude

May 18, 2019
Switzerland was missing Josi, Niederreiter, Fiala, Suter, Kukan, and Malgin. So it wasn't exactly a B team but not their best roster either.
I still think Bärtschi would be an upgrade for this team, I hope he'll sign a contract with SC Bern or any other NL team I guess a season in Switzerland with sufficient ice time could do wonders an he'll be a valuable assett for the swiss team

Reactions: BlizzardSloth

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
A ray of sunshine amidst the wreckage of the second round = Canada's comeback win. Congrats boys, that was one to remember.:nod::nod:

The Finnish article was tough to read, Google translate mangled it badly. Take this gem, for example:

Jalonen did not blame the decision to play the overtime with 3–3 lineups. "That's the same for both of them. If you played five against five, the overtime would probably last 5-6 hours", he hosed.

If only I could hose so eloquently.

Reactions: jj cale and Macman

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I 100% agree that both sides should act graciously no matter whether they count themselves among the winners or the losers. But it is still somewhat understandable if the loser is being sore - as the word "sore" itself implies, losing generally hurts.

But what excuse there is for being a bad winner? Naturally, the winning side is allowed to be happy, cheer and celebrate. But if you go and rub it in on the losing side, give some extra sting on that loss, there is no excuse. You're just being a richard.
I don't get this, you should be a good winner and good loser period. why would one get some sort of a pass because they are upset over the result? And what excuse is there for fans who in losing try to diminish or demean their opponents victory by saying after losing that the refs are the reason they won or that they are undeserving of the win? Half the time the winning fans start to gloat harder just because of that alone, you must know that.

You have to possess some degree of control over yourself in both good and bad times. There are going to be plenty of instances in life where things don't go your way but you don't jump over the till and start choking the cashier when they get your change wrong.

There is no such thing here as "more guilty" or "less guilty"................it's the individual responsibility of both the losing and winning sides fans to conduct themselves with an acceptable level of maturity and class. You don't get some leeway on that just because you came out on the losing side that day and are somehow entitled to a tantrum.

Last edited:

hockey webcomics

May 6, 2017
20210606_281954.jpg

g64_can_fin_ct_078.jpg

Reactions: Mehar and jj cale

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Canada had the most NHL talent at the worlds, but considering that they dropped the first three games, this was an impressive path to gold.
Worlds-Canada nows ties Soviet/Russian all time gold medal total, at 27.
Olympics-Canada has 13 Olympic gold vs Soviet/Russian total of 9.

it should be said that soviets all olympics gold are with no nhlers in the tournament

Reactions: jj cale

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I don't get this, you should be a good winner and good loser period. why would one get some sort of a pass because they are upset over the result?
Did you miss the part where I said that one should always act graciously, no matter whether one wins or loses?

The thing just is, there is still a difference between people who run their mouths because they're upset after a sports loss and people who do it after a win, out of sheer malice. You can admit that the former are behaving badly but still sympathize with them to a degree. The latter are just being namesakes of former Vice President Cheney.

Also, it should be clear from the context that we're talking about behavior that is limited to the verbal realm. Nobody was advocating physical violence against cashiers or any other kinds of customer servants - that analogy was dangerously close to strawmanning.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Did you miss the part where I said that one should always act graciously, no matter whether one wins or loses?

The thing just is, there is still a difference between people who run their mouths because they're upset after a sports loss and people who do it after a win, out of sheer malice. You can admit that the former are behaving badly but still sympathize with them to a degree. The latter are just being namesakes of former Vice President Cheney.

Also, it should be clear from the context that we're talking about behavior that is limited to the verbal realm. Nobody was advocating physical violence against cashiers or any other kinds of customer servants - that analogy was dangerously close to strawmanning.
I didn't miss it, I just don't agree with the distinction you are making between how you conduct yourself in both victory or defeat. You proudly claim that one should always act graciously no matter the outcome then immediately say it's understandable if they don't considering the duress of losing they are under, You can "sympathize" with their immature behaviour.That's not "dangerously" close to anything, that's straight talking out of both sides of your mouth.

I can just as easily say it's understandable that winning fans want to rub it in their rivals face because of the sheer joy they are experiencing from beating them, let's give them a little rope to do that because we can sympathize with the elation they must be feeling.

In short your viewpoint makes no sense to me.

There is a winner and there is a loser in sports, be mature when experiencing both, period.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
There is a winner and there is a loser in sports, be mature when experiencing both, period.
I agree with this. It's what we should all thrive to be.

I'm also sorry that the nuances in the point I was making flew right over your head. I'll try this one more time: I don't condone bad behavior, but I can find some shreds of sympathy for those who behave badly without malicious intent. Or - if that was still too complicated - all bad behavior is not equally bad.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I agree with this. It's what we should all thrive to be.

I'm also sorry that the nuances in the point I was making flew right over your head. I'll try this one more time: I don't condone bad behavior, but I can find some shreds of sympathy for those who behave badly without malicious intent. Or - if that was still too complicated - all bad behavior is not equally bad.
There is no nuances here, you're just trying to pull the wool over my eyes because you want to portray the fans of the team you cheer for immature boorish behaviour in a more sympathetic light and are fully aware this ruse will easily work with the very large anti Canada crowd who loves nothing more then seeing them lose and can't take seeing them win. If Canada had lost and people were piling it on to them (which you know full well they would) you would be on here giving a lecture about what terrible losers Canadians fans are and there wouldn't be a peep out of you about fans gloating and rubbing in Canadas defeat.

This won't work with me or with anyone who has been around these boards for any length of time and are reasonable and don't have some built up bias and hatred for a particular team but you can continue to double down and carry on with this crap if you must, I just want you to be aware I'm not fooled by it.

You must always be a good winner and a good loser but I can have some sympathy for idiot fans who can't do this because the pain of losing is so intense, poor babies!!, what are they? children?

Don't be so ridiculous. You should be embarrassed you even wrote that.

I should be the one asking how this can fly over your head. But it's clear it's too complicated for YOU. The fact is you're just an example of what I was talking about..............a sore loser, because that's what this is all about.

Last edited:

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
When you get down to it, this is basically a random tournament since the teams are stitched together from essentially whoever is available and willing to play during the NHL playoffs. It's almost always been that way. It's still nice to win, but the name "World Championships" is sooooo misleading. The Canada Cups were actual world championships, the Olympics were actual world championships. This is just another tournament.

...but it's still a very nice victory. :)

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
When you get down to it, this is basically a random tournament since the teams are stitched together from essentially whoever is available and willing to play during the NHL playoffs. It's almost always been that way. It's still nice to win, but the name "World Championships" is sooooo misleading. The Canada Cups were actual world championships, the Olympics were actual world championships. This is just another tournament.

...but it's still a very nice victory. :)

I’m fine with the name World Championships, at the end of the day everyone knows the best players from all the countries aren’t there (although some years it’s close)

If anything this tournament is more about testing the overall depth of countries, it’s still a legitimate achievement to win this tournament, and if you think about it…it’s really all we have in terms of an annual regular men’s level tournament.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
There is no nuances here, you're just trying to pull the wool over my eyes because you want to portray the fans of the team you cheer for immature boorish behaviour in a more sympathetic light and are full aware this ruse will easily work with the very large anti Canada crowd who loves nothing more then seeing them lose and can't take seeing them win. If Canada had lost and people were piling it on to them (which you know full well they would) you would be on here giving a lecture about what terrible losers Canadians fans are and there wouldn't be a peep out of you about fans gloating and rubbing in Canadas defeat.
Okay, now you're outright putting words in my mouth and fully entering the strawman territory.

All I'm saying is, you should never beat the beaten. Because that makes you a bully. But if you see someone running their mouth after a bitter loss and making a monkey's backside of themselves, is that going to ruin your day? Or are you likely to just laugh it off? Both are undesired behavior, but they're not the same.

And I have no freaking inkling what gave you the idea that I wouldn't be of this mind if the tables were turned. If you want to accuse me of being a hypocrite, have the decency to wait 'til I act like one - because right now it's all in your head. If you've seen other people act in the way you describe, I'm sorry about that, but it's no excuse to paint everyone using the same brush.

Reactions: tuozzi

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Serious question to Finns: Are those Embellishment moves pretty common in your Pro and junior leagues?

Couldn't help but notice the dirty Embellishment used to ice the Germans in the Semis, then again from your Captain in the final (leading the first goal)

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Okay, now you're outright putting words in my mouth and fully entering the strawman territory.

All I'm saying is, you should never beat the beaten. Because that makes you a bully. But if you see someone running their mouth after a bitter loss and making a monkey's backside of themselves, is that going to ruin your day? Or are you likely to just laugh it off? Both are undesired behavior, but they're not the same.

And I have no freaking inkling what gave you the idea that I wouldn't be of this mind if the tables were turned. If you want to accuse me of being a hypocrite, have the decency to wait 'til I act like one - because right now it's all in your head. If you've seen other people act in the way you describe, I'm sorry about that, but it's no excuse to paint everyone using the same brush.
Oh dear god, don't waste anymore of my time please.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I’m fine with the name World Championships, at the end of the day everyone knows the best players from all the countries aren’t there (although some years it’s close)

If anything this tournament is more about testing the overall depth of countries, it’s still a legitimate achievement to win this tournament, and if you think about it…it’s really all we have in terms of an annual regular men’s level tournament.
I love this tournament (Oiler fan so my team is always eliminated by the time it starts.lol)

Hockey is meessed up because we don't have a good best on best format. Eg. the last one was the World Cup and that is my least favorite tournament of all time. They should've just invited Slovakia and Switzerland at the time.

In any case, all the tourneys have their flaws:

World Juniors is always missing the best players because they are in the NHL
U18 is missing the best Canadians
Hlinka is missing the best Americans
World championships is missing a high percentage of the best players

The only true best on best was the Olympics and 2014 is a long time ago. It'd be nice if IIHF and NHL could agree on a tournament every 4 years that is best on best like Soccer has. However, it's always a last minute negotiation. Drives me crazy. It should be in middle of winter as well when everyone is in peak form. Eg. Cancel the all star game every 4 years and make a 2 week tourney. Use the WC's to make seeding and invite the Top 8 nations.

Also, agree on a damn rink size! I don't care which one.. just pick one. Imagine going to the World Volleyball championships and the court is a different size in Brazil then in California. Or if the French open was played on a bigger tennis court than Wimbledon. Or the basketball net is a foot higher in America vs Europe.

Such a small sport and they can't even agree on a playing field.lol

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
The only true best on best was the Olympics and 2014 is a long time ago.

Also, agree on a damn rink size! I don't care which one.. just pick one. Imagine going to the World Volleyball championships and the court is a different size in Brazil then in California. Or if the French open was played on a bigger tennis court than Wimbledon.
We're getting the Olympics back (hopefully), but to your second point - tennis does have different courts. Clay, grass, hard... players definitely have their preferences, but it is what it is. I think we need to just treat international vs NHL size like that.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
We're getting the Olympics back (hopefully), but to your second point - tennis does have different courts. Clay, grass, hard... players definitely have their preferences, but it is what it is. I think we need to just treat international vs NHL size like that.
Surface yes... but the size of the court is the same. Imagine being allowed to use the doubles alley for singles at the US open.lol

2022 Olympics are far from a sure thing.. they are still 'hemming it out' AND the whole covid thing.

'it is what it is'... it's flawed and I hope, in my lifetime, someone fixes it.lol It does sound like most of Europe is gong smaller rinks which Im fine with.. I don't care what size the rink is, I just want the same size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad