Canada only dominates with centers these days ?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Centers can easily play as wingers but not vice versa. Forward group is not really a problem for Canada. Their defense isn't as good as it once was yet it's still pretty f***ing good. Goaltending could be an issue. Then again Canada can hold on to the puck very well so the opposing team won't get much scoring chances.
This was my immediate thought. If you have a team of 12 centers you're generally fine, if you have a team of 12 wingers you're generally in trouble.

Reactions: pi314

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
It was 33-24, 32-26, and 33-28 in 2018, 2019 and 2020, but I think COVID made the numbers look a bit more "traditional" as teams reverted to the perceived safer CHL drafting patterns. Now we will see going forward.

One interesting note (not sure to what, if any relevance it has on this particular topic) is how many more Canadian kids are going the USHL -> NCAA route. I think with Tenders, a lot more Ontario kids in particular are controlling their own fate by signing with a particular USHL team and then a particular NCAA team, rather than leaving their destiny in the hands of an OHL draft, where they could go to London, but could get stuck on Niagara... You've always seen a lot of Western kids go to the BCHL or AJHL -> NCAA.
Very true. I think throwing kids into the CHL at 15/16 is not what’s best for their development, not anymore at least. Them playing in Junior A which are still strong leagues, particularly in the Western Provinces and going to college does wonders for their maturity. Think the USHL route is the best for goalies now. They actually develop and play their goalies the right way while in the CHL, a goalie may never play an “actual” season until his third season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think this is overblown.

USA has gotten better. It’s a bigger country than Canada and now the interest in hockey is growing. That’s going to lead to results and a bigger competitor.

Russia is also a bigger country and has a very storied history in hockey. It’s not some big upset that they have better wingers and goalies.

Sweden has had great defensemen for a while now. Not some big upset.

Hockey might be declining in Canada, but it’s also true that whether it did or not you aren’t going to see them dominate hockey to the extent they did in the past. Hockey is becoming more global. Same thing happening for America with basketball.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
Would disagree, top 2 defenseman of the last two cup teams and already one of the best defenseman of all time leading the line, in addition to recent top 5 Norris finishers Morrisey and Hamilton, I take them over anyone, perhaps Sweden is the closest but i don’t think they have any atrocious defensively they have to hide like Klingberg or Q.Hughes/Jones

But goaltenders you’re 100% right it’s a failure across the board from the CHL, Hockey Canada etc that goaltending has become far behind Russia and the other top countries

A bit of both, not unlike the years around the turn of the century when Canada lost two best on best tournaments consecutively for the first time ever, although now it hasn’t been visible due to the lack of tournament. Several strong drafts though since 2020 (including a generational talent) and more to come and I think the lull is starting to end in terms of talent production

You clearly haven’t watched Hughes play if you think he’s atrocious defensively.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Does Makar not exist?

Makar, Pietrangelo, Morrissey, Montour, Hamilton, Torws, Dobson, ekblad, etc..

Canada has C and D. Russia has wings and goaltending. Far and away from canada in the other two though.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Does Makar not exist?

Makar, Pietrangelo, Morrissey, Montour, Hamilton, Torws, Dobson, ekblad, etc..

Canada has C and D. Russia has wings and goaltending. Far and away from canada in the other two though.
Nah Canada has 1 truly elite D US 4 Sweden 3. USA/SWE win pretty easily with Defense. Fox, Slavin, McAvoy, Hughes, Werenski, Carlson, Jones, Sanderson. Sweden Hedman, Karlsson, Dahlin, Ekholm, Lindholm, Andersson

Can - Centers
USA/RUS - Wingers
USA - Defense/Swe
RUS - Goalies
FIN - system

Other countries with Drai, Pasta, Josi, Hischier, Stutzle, Kopi, Fiala, Ehlers, Zucc, Necas, Meier, Seider etc. Come back intl hockey it has never been better situation competitively

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
I watch him 5/6 times a year. I think he dearly misses the stabilizing presence of a Christopher Tanev type partner

Who wouldn't? Having Tanev on his right side allowed Hughes to play freely in his rookie season. He struggled the next year as Myers and Hamonic were no where as good Tanev yet Hughes was still trying to play like he had Tanev on his right side. He's been good defensively since his sophomore season.

in addition to recent top 5 Norris finishers Morrisey and Hamilton, I take them over anyone, perhaps Sweden is the closest but i don’t think they have any atrocious defensively they have to hide like Klingberg or Q.Hughes/Jones

Short handed TOI last season

Morrisey - 25.5 mins
Hamilton - 14.2 mins
Hughes - 103.1 mins

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
FIN - system
Playing 5 across the blue line and parking the bus is merry well when you’re playing against AHLers in the spring world championships but when McDavid and Kaprizov are bearing down on Olli Maatta I don’t think it’s going to end well

Who wouldn't? Having Tanev on his right side allowed Hughes to play freely in his rookie season. He struggled the next year as Myers and Hamonic were no where as good Tanev yet Hughes was still trying to play like he had Tanev on his right side. He's been good defensively since his sophomore season.

Short handed TOI last season

Morrisey - 25.5 mins
Hamilton - 14.2 mins
Hughes - 103.1 mins
Fair enough with the short handed TOI although I think that says more about Vancouver’s roster construction than it does his defensive ability, and as I mentioned earlier in this thread I think he’s a better transition defender than he used to be but I find that his GPS in his own end is broken

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Playing 5 across the blue line and parking the bus is merry well when you’re playing against AHLers in the spring world championships but when McDavid and Kaprizov are bearing down on Olli Maatta I don’t think it’s going to end well

Fair enough with the short handed TOI although I think that says more about Vancouver’s roster construction than it does his defensive ability, and as I mentioned earlier in this thread I think he’s a better transition defender than he used to be but I find that his GPS in his own end is broken
Finland usually has edge againts Russia even if they have theyr best participating realistic estimation Finland propably wins againts Russia 65% if they meet 100 time's

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I still think Canada is #1 due it's center depth, excellent blueline, and intangibles. I don't think they are a tier above the competition though. For instance, even though the U.S. doesn't have the depth at center Canada does we can still put out Matthews, Eichel, Hughes, and Thompson (among others). We also have very good wingers.
Your goaltending now and in the future is very bright too.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
I still think Canada is #1 due it's center depth, excellent blueline, and intangibles. I don't think they are a tier above the competition though. For instance, even though the U.S. doesn't have the depth at center Canada does we can still put out Matthews, Eichel, Hughes, and Thompson (among others). We also have very good wingers.
As a Canadian, your winger depth smokes Canada’s out of the water. Robertson, the Tkachuks, Keller, Debrincat, Gaudreau, Boldy, Guentzel, Tuch > 36 year old Marchand, Huberdeau, Marner, Stone, Verhaege, Kyrou. Unreal.

Plus you can have guys like Tage Thompson, Zegras or Caufield shift over to the wing.

Canada’s centre depth is untouchable though. McDavid-MacKinnon-Crosby-Point. Larkin would most likely be the 4th line centre, assuming the US plays Thompson on the wing. There’s just such a huge gap between him and Point.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Canada is fine

Makar best def in the league

McDavid best player in the world

Bedard best rookie in the world

Celebrini should go #1 next draft

Only position i agree is in net Canada hasnt had an elite goalie since Price

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Finland usually has edge againts Russia even if they have theyr best participating realistic estimation Finland propably wins againts Russia 65% if they meet 100 time's
Maybe back when Russia has a Switzerland level Swiss cheese defense but they have a full lineup of good nhl dmen now… I think russias best on best lines up better than finlands right now. Who knows how many times each wins if they play 100 times but I doubt the Finns would have a nearly 2 to 1 edge.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Very true. I think throwing kids into the CHL at 15/16 is not what’s best for their development, not anymore at least. Them playing in Junior A which are still strong leagues, particularly in the Western Provinces and going to college does wonders for their maturity. Think the USHL route is the best for goalies now. They actually develop and play their goalies the right way while in the CHL, a goalie may never play an “actual” season until his third season.

I don't know the intricoes of the NCAA rules enough to know if this would work but could the CHL allow players to decline their living stipend so they could still be NCAA eligible after? Honestly it would benefit non-NHLers more than hopeful NHlers as they could still get scholarships to play NCAA after CHL

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I feel like Makar being capable of being on the ice for 50% of any game kind of negates the whole "Canada is weak on D".

Canada's real problem is goaltending. There just really isn't an elite guy, and I don't know of any on their way up.

Nah Canada has 1 truly elite D US 4 Sweden 3. USA/SWE win pretty easily with Defense. Fox, Slavin, McAvoy, Hughes, Werenski, Carlson, Jones, Sanderson. Sweden Hedman, Karlsson, Dahlin, Ekholm, Lindholm, Andersson

If you are going to clap on Canada's D, don't follow it up by naming Andersson, Calrson, Jones and Sanderson lol.

Both those countries have incredible top 4s, though.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Maatta has shutdown guys like Ovi, Geno several times already. Worked against Kaprizov as well in 2019. It's not like Finland's firepower doesn't improve for best on best. Finland is just traditionally overachieving looking the roster

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
I feel like Makar being capable of being on the ice for 50% of any game kind of negates the whole "Canada is weak on D".

Canada's real problem is goaltending. There just really isn't an elite guy, and I don't know of any on their way up.

If you are going to clap on Canada's D, don't follow it up by naming Andersson, Calrson, Jones and Sanderson lol.

Both those countries have incredible top 4s, though.
Doesn't really matter who's on there if top4 is dynamite. and this projection has guys like Ekblad for Canada's third pair as well

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Doesn't really matter who's on there if top4 is dynamite. and this projection has guys like Ekblad for Canada's third pair as well

Ya, I agree with that. I just had to chuckle at those names, the quality drop off was severe.

I am not even sure what Canada's D would be today...

Makar - Toews
Hamilton - Pie
Pelech - Doughty
Morrissey

It's decent, but definitely doesn't have the top 4 depth of USA/SWE. Not sure how to feel about SWE actually...I think I'd rather have Ekholm in the top 4 over Karlsson in an international competition, even as a big Karlsson stan.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Would disagree, top 2 defenseman of the last two cup teams and already one of the best defenseman of all time leading the line, in addition to recent top 5 Norris finishers Morrisey and Hamilton, I take them over anyone, perhaps Sweden is the closest but i don’t think they have any atrocious defensively they have to hide like Klingberg or Q.Hughes/Jones

But goaltenders you’re 100% right it’s a failure across the board from the CHL, Hockey Canada etc that goaltending has become far behind Russia and the other top countries

A bit of both, not unlike the years around the turn of the century when Canada lost two best on best tournaments consecutively for the first time ever, although now it hasn’t been visible due to the lack of tournament. Several strong drafts though since 2020 (including a generational talent) and more to come and I think the lull is starting to end in terms of talent production
I think I’m gonna switch to rooting to USA just so I can enjoy watching Canadians cry as Hughes shows them how much better he is than every Canadian dman outside Makar.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
I watch him 5/6 times a year. I think he dearly misses the stabilizing presence of a Christopher Tanev type partner
I straight up don’t believe you.

I don't know the intricoes of the NCAA rules enough to know if this would work but could the CHL allow players to decline their living stipend so they could still be NCAA eligible after? Honestly it would benefit non-NHLers more than hopeful NHlers as they could still get scholarships to play NCAA after CHL
The solution isn’t to make the CHL worse.

The NCAA rules are dumb as f*** and should change.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023

No it’s absolutely because he’s the best dman on the team at everything except being big, and that’s tremendously overrated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad