Canada Cup 87 Now on DVD

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Is my all 3 finals + tournament highlights DVD set (Blade Wars) enough, or do I have to get this one too, that is the question. Damn, I'd certainly want to have a full version of the 2nd final (on the version I have, the regulation time is quite heavy-handedly edited).

How about the 1981 and 1984 CC? Challenge Cup & Rendez-vous? The first Super series? I'm not asking too much, am I?

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Sorry I know I saw a thread with someone talking about this a while ago, but I looked and couldn't find it.

Anyways.. YES. The best news I've heard in a while, I just saw an ad on the NHL Network, it's a 6 DVD boxset available at HMV..

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Anyways, sorry I couldn't find the old thread but I wanted to share since people were hoping for one to come out.

http://www.hmv.ca/Products/Detail/594619.aspx

$50 Canadian.

About friggin` time.

parkdale lad

Jun 9, 2006
Just picked up my copy, it includes that old VHS movie, Mario, Mike & The Great Gretzky. That's pretty cool for them to include that, I have that on tape and it's a full length documentary about the tournament. Unreal package. Has all 9 Canada games.

AWESOME.
I can finally re-live the horror of seeing Mike Keenan wearing nothing but a towel in all it's digital majesty! :help:
This set is long overdue- funny how they seem to have skipped over '81 though.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
awesome stuff!
I have the DVD set of the 3 game finals vs the USSR

Would love to have the whole series
IMHO This is the best team Canada had/has ever assembled for a hockey tournament

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
For someone who only started watching hockey in 2002 (Olympics), this DVD is very interesting. I've watched Canada vs Czech and Canada vs Finland so far and just have some interesting observations:

1. You have to watch Gretzky play in an actual game to realize what a special player he is. He has some kind of magical aura around him that can sense anything that moves. Previously, I only watched highlights of him, and wasn't all that impressed to be honest.
2. Lemieux is ridicously talented and looks two feet taller than anyone on the Finnish team. He just weaves through people without even trying and looks almost lazy/bored doing it. However, he does seem a little undiscplined at this point (before CC87 I only watched him in his mid-late 30's) which is perfectly understandable considering he's only in his early twenties.
3. Dominik Hasek was Dominik Hasek even then (flopping everywhere, playing without a stick, picking up the puck with his blocker hand).
4. Is it just me or are there no set lines on Canada? For example, I'm pretty sure I've sure Gretzky play with Lemieux, Messier, Hawerchuck, Propp, Tocchet and others.
5. Some of these Europeans I've never heard about are pretty good - good enough to play in the NHL.
6. The wood sticks made a much different sound than the new graphite sticks. The overall velocity of the shot, is not that different it seems, but the biggest difference is the puck doesn't appear to fly off the stick nearly as fast.
7. There seems to be a lot more slapshots, especially close to the net.
8. The defensive system back then doesn't seem as good.
9. Jari Kurri wasn't very impressive, suprisingly (although it was only one game).

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
The biggest treat for me was watching Gretzky. His athletic skill gets so underrated sometimes. At least in this tournament, he was very agile, very fast (Looked like it, at least) and very flashy. He actually had some very nice dangles. Easily the best player of the tournament.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
The biggest treat for me was watching Gretzky. His athletic skill gets so underrated sometimes. At least in this tournament, he was very agile, very fast (Looked like it, at least) and very flashy. He actually had some very nice dangles. Easily the best player of the tournament.

You're right his agility gets underrated quite a bit.

He didn't really have breakaway speed even in his prime but he had "good enough" speed when you factor in he was 2 steps ahead of everyone to start with.

One area he was definitely superior was his first few steps of quickness and agility on his skates.. and the way he could angle away from hits etc. was amazing.

nnynetpotato

Sep 9, 2008
Having watched the 87 CCup live,I have a couple comments on your points in red.:)

For someone who only started watching hockey in 2002 (Olympics), this DVD is very interesting. I've watched Canada vs Czech and Canada vs Finland so far and just have some interesting observations:

1. You have to watch Gretzky play in an actual game to realize what a special player he is. He has some kind of magical aura around him that can sense anything that moves. Previously, I only watched highlights of him, and wasn't all that impressed to be honest.I watch him in a junior tournament when he was 16 and couldn't believe what I was seeing.Nobody's been like him
2. Lemieux is ridicously talented and looks two feet taller than anyone on the Finnish team. He just weaves through people without even trying and looks almost lazy/bored doing it. However, he does seem a little undiscplined at this point (before CC87 I only watched him in his mid-late 30's) which is perfectly understandable considering he's only in his early twenties. He was all offense at that point.It was also before his persistent back injuries.

3. Dominik Hasek was Dominik Hasek even then (flopping everywhere, playing without a stick, picking up the puck with his blocker hand).
4. Is it just me or are there no set lines on Canada? For example, I'm pretty sure I've sure Gretzky play with Lemieux, Messier, Hawerchuck, Propp, Tocchet and others.
5. Some of these Europeans I've never heard about are pretty good - good enough to play in the NHL. Damn straight-love the Swedes and Czechoslovakians

6. The wood sticks made a much different sound than the new graphite sticks. The overall velocity of the shot, is not that different it seems, but the biggest difference is the puck doesn't appear to fly off the stick nearly as fast.
I think the graphite makes a difference here.You can get a good flex on a wrister which you'd have to slap with a wood stick.
WHAT defensive system?This was total firewagon hockey (and thank God for that).
9. Jari Kurri wasn't very impressive, suprisingly (although it was only one game).
He was expected to be the leader on that team.IMO he was more comfortable as a supporting cast member.He was also on the downside of his career-you should've seen him at the Lake Placid Olympics.

Derick*

1. You have to watch Gretzky play in an actual game to realize what a special player he is. He has some kind of magical aura around him that can sense anything that moves. Previously, I only watched highlights of him, and wasn't all that impressed to be honest.
2. Lemieux is ridicously talented and looks two feet taller than anyone on the Finnish team. He just weaves through people without even trying and looks almost lazy/bored doing it. However, he does seem a little undiscplined at this point (before CC87 I only watched him in his mid-late 30's) which is perfectly understandable considering he's only in his early twenties.
5. Some of these Europeans I've never heard about are pretty good - good enough to play in the NHL.

If I understand you correctly, that's impossible.

Infinite Vision*

Just bought this the other day. After watching game 1 of Canada vs. Russia which was nothing short of amazing I'm honestly so excited to see game two, which I'm about to watch right now!

Jacques Trap*

Game 2 is the best of the series with game 3, not lacking drama, but the hockey wasn't as fluent as the 1st two games.

I was 9 years old and it was easy, even as a young boy to see that this was very special indeed. :handclap:

tazzy19

Mar 27, 2008
Just bought this the other day. After watching game 1 of Canada vs. Russia which was nothing short of amazing I'm honestly so excited to see game two, which I'm about to watch right now!
Let us know what you think of game 2! And a question to those who have the entire tournament on DVD: which game (besides any of the final games vs Russia) is Gretzky at his most dazzling? I remember seeing highlights from the Sweden game in which Gretzky completely faked out the Swedish defenders, cutting tightly inside the blue line with a fake slapper, before sending an amazing pass to Lemieux with Coffey looking on in awe...

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
Looks like I have to add something to my Christmas list.

Ya, this was the first item I had on mine.

1. Ya, highlights of Gretzky don't impress the way actually watching him play does. Sure he's pulled some nice dangles here and there, but as has been mentioned thousands of times, its his vision that made him so great. And you can't really appreciate that without the context of an actual game. If you liked this and want more Gretzky, you may want to consider getting the Edmonton Oilers 10 Greatest Games DVD set. It has several great games from Gretzky, and really all the games were strong selections.

3. I didn't even remember Hasek playing! Back then I wouldn't have even known who he was, and all I've seen since have just been the Canada/Russia finals. I can't wait to see some of his games from this tournament!

4. There were no set lines on Canada. Keenan didn't want opposing teams to be able to match his lines, and he felt that the players for Canada were all so good that almost any combination should be able to work. IIRC, he used 64 or 68 different line combinations throughout the tournament.

Wow, that was pretty sick. One thing I noticed though, was that Gretzky appeared to get a goal in an earlier game. But then later, he scores a goal and they say it was his first of the tournament. Nothing really to do with that particular play, just something I saw on the video you linked to.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
That's exactly what I was talking about earlier, everyone talks about Gretzky as if he was a small, slow, boring passing machine, but in this tournament he was incredibly quick and agile. He blew me away with his skating at times, which surprised me.

I remember a few times seeing Gretzky just dig in deep and reach for another gear - he wasn't fast ALL THE TIME like Bure and guys like that, but you never really saw him lose a race for the puck either. He was like a player in a video game, where he's skating along, then you hit the "speed" button, and he gets that quick burst.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I definitely have to pick this one up. Does anyone know whether this now means that only the '91 Canada Cup is not released on DVD?

I can't recall whether or not the '81 or '84 Canada Cups were put out on DVD.

I have no major use for the '76 Canada Cup, as I tend to collect these simply so I have complete games Gretzky played in or games that occurred while I was alive. But the '81 and '84 Canada Cups are sets I'd want.

I wish the NHL would release some of the Rendezvous '87 and other games between the NHL and the Soviets. Though, I don't think any of the Super Series games from the '80s and certainly not the '90s were spectacular.

I also wish someone would put out the '79 WHA All-Star Game (series?) on DVD. Be something to see Gretzky and Howe on a line together playing the Soviets.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
One of the best teams ever assembled, and still, notable players left off:

Yzerman
MacInnis
Roy
Francis
Ciccarelli
Savard
Trottier
Bossy
Dione
Robitaille
Stevens
Wendel Clark

I would say the 76 team was more stacked:

Orr, Hull, Lafleur, Dryden, Savard, Espo, Perrault, Robinson, Lapointe, Potvin, Dion, Cornoyer.

the thing about 87 is the hi-end talent was thru the roof (Messier, Bourque, Coffee and of course the two greatest offensive talents ever)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad