Canada Cup 87 Now on DVD

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Sorry I know I saw a thread with someone talking about this a while ago, but I looked and couldn't find it.

Anyways.. YES. The best news I've heard in a while, I just saw an ad on the NHL Network, it's a 6 DVD boxset available at HMV..

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Anyways, sorry I couldn't find the old thread but I wanted to share since people were hoping for one to come out.

http://www.hmv.ca/Products/Detail/594619.aspx

$50 Canadian.

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Just picked up my copy, it includes that old VHS movie, Mario, Mike & The Great Gretzky. That's pretty cool for them to include that, I have that on tape and it's a full length documentary about the tournament. Unreal package. Has all 9 Canada games.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Just picked up my copy, it includes that old VHS movie, Mario, Mike & The Great Gretzky. That's pretty cool for them to include that, I have that on tape and it's a full length documentary about the tournament. Unreal package. Has all 9 Canada games.

That's awesome, hopefully my copy arrives soon. 9 games and a documentary on 6 discs featuring some of the best hockey played..ever, is a damn good deal for $50.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
For those who own it, how is the quality? I have the older version with only the Finals on DVD, and the quality of those games were very poor. Hopefully this edition is much improved and not a direct rip of the older version.

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
For those who own it, how is the quality? I have the older version with only the Finals on DVD, and the quality of those games were very poor. Hopefully this edition is much improved and not a direct rip of the older version.

It's as good as any other DVD of 1980's hockey. It looks fine to me.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
It's as good as you can expect for a 23 year old TV broadcast. The Canada/Czech game was good quality (and a damn good game to watch!). I haven't watched all of Canada/Finland yet, but the first minute or two has a lot of noise.

Bob McKenzie does an intro of each game and an overall series intro. In the main intro he does say, there are issues with some of the broadcasts but bear with them and you'll see some of the best hockey ever played.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
About time! I've tried everything to find the 87 Canada Cup, all to no avail. The old set was discontinued years ago, and I tried finding even used ones on Ebay and had no luck. Now I can get all 9 Canada Games :) Even better.

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
It's as good as you can expect for a 23 year old TV broadcast. The Canada/Czech game was good quality (and a damn good game to watch!). I haven't watched all of Canada/Finland yet, but the first minute or two has a lot of noise.

Bob McKenzie does an intro of each game and an overall series intro. In the main intro he does say, there are issues with some of the broadcasts but bear with them and you'll see some of the best hockey ever played.

Canada/Finland is terrible quality. I mean, it's viewable, but it's a huge drop-off from the Czech game.

tazzy19

Mar 27, 2008
Lemieux - Messier - Gretzky
Coffey - Bourque

Has there ever been a PP as frightening as that? Holy lord..
Not in our dimension of this known universe, no. The way they through the puck around in game 2 of the finals was beyond ridiculous. They were almost too creative at times, especially in games 1 and 3. It was like nobody wanted to be the one to actually score.

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
Just a question from a guy who was not alive yet at the time of this event: Why was Steve Yzerman not on this team?

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
One of the best teams ever assembled, and still, notable players left off:

Yzerman
MacInnis
Roy
Francis
Ciccarelli
Savard
Trottier
Bossy
Dione
Robitaille
Stevens
Wendel Clark

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
Lemieux - Messier - Gretzky
Coffey - Bourque

Has there ever been a PP as frightening as that? Holy lord..
Not in our dimension of this known universe, no. The way they through the puck around in game 2 of the finals was beyond ridiculous. They were almost too creative at times, especially in games 1 and 3. It was like nobody wanted to be the one to actually score.
Did not the Soviets score three shorthanded goals against them?

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Did not the Soviets score three shorthanded goals against them?

I think they did; Svetlov in the round robin game, and Makarov and Krutov in the 1st and 2nd final, respectively. I don't remember who were on the ice for Canada during those goals, though.

Canada had a great power play in the tournament, in any case.

Derick*

One of the best teams ever assembled, and still, notable players left off:

Yzerman
MacInnis
Roy

Francis
Ciccarelli
Savard
Trottier
Bossy
Dione
Robitaille
Stevens
Wendel Clark

That's amazing.

Who was Fuhr's backup?

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Ron Hextall and Kelly Hrudey.

In retrospect, Hextall > Roy seems preposterous, but Hextall had just won the Vezina & Conn Smythe (beating Roy's Canadiens in the conference finals in the process), finished second for the Calder, and was first team all-star. That's as close to a no-brainer pick as you get. Plus he played for Keenan's Flyers.

I can't figure how Hrudey got there though.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Ron Hextall and Kelly Hrudey.

In retrospect, Hextall > Roy seems preposterous, but Hextall had just won the Vezina & Conn Smythe (beating Roy's Canadiens in the conference finals in the process), finished second for the Calder, and was first team all-star. That's as close to a no-brainer pick as you get. Plus he played for Keenan's Flyers.

I can't figure how Hrudey got there though.

Patrick Roy in 86-87 wasn't yet the Patrick Roy of legend. He had the huge playoff run and a tandem Jennings win where Brian Hayward had better stats.

Hextall was Keenan's guy and coming off a monstrous season as you pointed out and Hrudey also was coming off a very strong playoff performance. And he was third string anyways..

As an aside Trottier, Bossy, Dionne, Billy Smith etc. were all well past their peak / chronically injured by that point.

Yzerman was on his way up but too one dimensional for a team that already had the firepower Canada had..

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad