World Cup: Canada 4 Nations Tournament 2025 Roster Talk

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
1700718381148.png

I suppose if this will concretize there is going to need to be a thread; obviously you want to win every tournament you play in but given the odd status of this proposed tournament I would include even more developmental type players that haven’t played for senior Canada teams to prepare them for the best on best in 2026 in Italy. Hence the inclusion of certain names that I probably wouldn’t take to a full best on best like Lafrenière, Byram, Chychrun, Byfield

Hill
Thompson
Hart (2018)

Toews-Makar (2018)
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Morrisey-Dobson
Chychrun
Byram

Crosby-MacKinnon-Marchand
Bédard-McDavid-McTavish
Stamkos-Point-Scheifele
Stone-Danault-Marner
Lafrenière
Byfield

Overall this is a weak team compared to the team that won all 3 best on best tournaments in the 2010s but I would still say that they are co-favourites with the USA

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Point-McDavid-Marner
Bedard-Crosby-MacKinnon
Marchand-Thomas-Cozens
Schiefele-McTavish-Stone
Barzal-Konecny

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Pelech-Morrisey
Power-Dobson

Hill
Thompson
Hart

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
its shit

germany, czechs, swiss etc needs t0 be in

Bratt - Pettersson - Nylander
Forsberg - W.Karksson - Kempe
Arvidsson - Eriksson Ek - Raymond
Elias Lindholm - Zibanejad - Järnkrok

Brodin - Karlsson
Hedman - Rasmus Andersson
Dahlin - Forsling

Ullmark
Markström
Filip Gustavsson

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Was about to question why the hell Montembeault is on there but I presume it's from a French TV station so that makes sense.

Wow our goaltending has gone downhill. Guess they'll roll with Hill, Hart and..... Logan Thompson? Unless Levi steps it up or Bennington improves his play.

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
For Canada, I would go:

Marchand - Crosby - Bedard
McDavid - MacKinnon - Marner
Stone - Point - Stamkos
McTavish - Cirelli - Cozens
Marchessault
O'Reilly

Toews - Makar
Theodore - Pietrangelo
Pelech - Doughty
Morrissey
Hamilton

Hill
Binnington
Thompson

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
its shit

germany, czechs, swiss etc needs t0 be in

Bratt - Pettersson - Nylander
Forsberg - W.Karksson - Kempe
Arvidsson - Eriksson Ek - Raymond
Elias Lindholm - Zibanejad - Järnkrok

Brodin - Karlsson
Hedman - Rasmus Andersson
Dahlin - Forsling

Ullmark
Markström
Filip Gustavsson
Add Russia. Needs to be all nations that it would normally be.

Reactions: pedis

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Byfield - McDavid - Bedard
Marchand - Crosby - MacKinnon
McTavish - Point - Marner
Cirelli - Dubois - Konecny
Thomas, Cozens, Suzuki

Toews - Makar
Morrissey - Pietrangelo
Power - Theodore
Byram, Pelech

Goal...?

Crosby, Marchand and Pietrangelo might be on the decline by 2025, but I'm betting they're still playing at a sufficiently high level to contribute on a "best-on-best" team.

I like Byfield's skating, board work, strength, and passing ability to complement McDavid and Bedard, who is the obvious triggerman on our top line going forward. I see them as the ideal wingers for McDavid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brett44

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
For Canada, I would go:

Marchand - Crosby - Bedard
McDavid - MacKinnon - Marner
Stone - Point - Stamkos
McTavish - Cirelli - Cozens
Marchessault
O'Reilly

Toews - Makar
Theodore - Pietrangelo
Pelech - Doughty
Morrissey
Hamilton

Hill
Binnington
Thompson
Wayyy too old. Cirelli in a best-on-best? ROR’s best-on-best days are past him. Marchessault isn’t a bad option, but there’s better and younger options than him.

Defense isn’t bad. I still think Doughty has it in him. Better two-way options than Hamilton and I’d rather have Dobson for a younger offensive option.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Thought I’d create a Team USA as well. Gold medal favourites for sure.

Forwards
Robertson-Matthews-M.Tkachuk
B.Tkachuk-Hughes-Thompson
Connor-Eichel-Keller
Beniers-Larkin-Debrincat
Guentzel-Tuch

Defence
Slavin-Fox
Q.Hughes-McAvoy
Werenski-Pesce
Sanderson-L.Hughes

Goalies
Helleybuck
Otter
Demko

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Wayyy too old. Cirelli in a best-on-best? ROR’s best-on-best days are past him. Marchessault isn’t a bad option, but there’s better and younger options than him.

Defense isn’t bad. I still think Doughty has it in him. Better two-way options than Hamilton and I’d rather have Dobson for a younger offensive option.
Take a look at the 2002 Team Canada Olympic team.

Age is a commodity and asset in the NHL, but in a short format tournament, you want experience, first and foremost, with a balance of youth and energy.

As for Cirelli, having guys that can play certain roles is key. I'd rather have him at 4C than someone like Scheifele (just as an example)

Re: Marchessault: he just won the Conn Smythe trophy. The skill level is obviously there, and he's shown he can perform in big games. His age is irrelevant. See my point above.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Take a look at the 2002 Team Canada Olympic team.

Age is a commodity and asset in the NHL, but in a short format tournament, you want experience, first and foremost, with a balance of youth and energy.

As for Cirelli, having guys that can play certain roles is key. I'd rather have him at 4C than someone like Scheifele (just as an example)

Re: Marchessault: he just won the Conn Smythe trophy. The skill level is obviously there, and he's shown he can perform in big games. His age is irrelevant. See my point above.
Take a look at the 2006 Olympic Team. That’s what happens when you put in old, “experienced” guys over better players. I would like an explanation as to how someone like ROR is better than Robert Thomas or Mason McTavish right now. I get what you’re trying to do with Cirelli, but we don’t need another Rob Zamuner or Kris Draper out there. Especially considering our forward depth is the worst it’s ever been. You don’t need to have 3 “two-way” guys on one line. 2 is plenty. Schiefele is simply too good of an offensive option to leave off.

The 2010 team did such a good job of this. Toews, Bergeron, Staal and Doughty were all surprise selections. Alas, Bergeron didn’t get much playing time, but he was groomed for future tournaments. Toews and Doughty were the MVPs at their respective positions and Staal ended up on the first line with Crosby-Iggy and fulfilled PK duties.

That 2010 roster was a shock and shift from the old-school Canadian mentality of older=better. Most people thought Russia was gonna take the gold. Even iggy said the team looked a lot younger than previous ones. Leaving off older and less-skilled guys like Smyth, Penner, Doan, Gagné and Brad Richards was the best decision that Canada ever made. Mark Stone already fills that Brendan Morrow role for Canada, no need to make the team more slow and old.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mathieukferland

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I'll make a few projections on three young players (Byfield, Bedard and Perfetti) Byfield and Bedard are going to be two dominant TOP 5 players VERY VERY soon, and Perfetti makes sense to me.

Here's your Gold medal favorite right here!

but Hockey Canada still has the issue of the 2018 junior team to deal with. That could disqualify a few players.

Q BYFIELD​
C MCDAVID​
M MARNER
B MARCHAND​
S CROSBY​
N MACKINNON​
M MCTAVISH​
C BEDARD​
B POINT​
C PERFETTI​
M SCHEIFELE​
M STONE​

T KONECNY R THOMAS​

D TOWES​
C MAKAR​
S THEODORE​
A PIETRANGELO​
J MORRISEY​
N DOBSON​
J CHYCHRUN​
D DOUGHTY​

A HILL​
L THOMPSON​
C HART​

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
I'll make a few projections on three young players (Byfield, Bedard and Perfetti) Byfield and Bedard are going to be two dominant TOP 5 players VERY VERY soon, and Perfetti makes sense to me.

Here's your Gold medal favorite right here!

but Hockey Canada still has the issue of the 2018 junior team to deal with. That could disqualify a few players.

Q BYFIELD​
C MCDAVID​
M MARNER
B MARCHAND​
S CROSBY​
N MACKINNON​
M MCTAVISH​
C BEDARD​
B POINT​
C PERFETTI​
M SCHEIFELE​
M STONE​

T KONECNY R THOMAS​

D TOWES​
C MAKAR​
S THEODORE​
A PIETRANGELO​
J MORRISEY​
N DOBSON​
J CHYCHRUN​
D DOUGHTY​

A HILL​
L THOMPSON​
C HART​
Good team but I’m not sure perfetti’s foot speed is good enough for this level. In addition I think given his play style if he’s not playing top 6 I don’t really know what he brings

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Good team but I’m not sure perfetti’s foot speed is good enough for this level. In addition I think given his play style if he’s not playing top 6 I don’t really know what he brings

100% disagree with that assessment. Hi IQ player, not unlike Stone, can adapt to the role assigned. + versatility C/LW. This time next year he'll be a Pt. per game player. 30+ goals 50+ assists. throw in a little prebaked chemistry with Scheifele. I'll take that thank you very much. Even if Scheifele's production falls off next year and doesn't look up to a NHL exhibition 4 Nations tourney, I'm still inclined to stick with Perfetti,

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
100% disagree with that assessment. Hi IQ player, not unlike Stone, can adapt to the role assigned. + versatility C/LW. This time next year he'll be a Pt. per game player. 30+ goals 50+ assists. throw in a little prebaked chemistry with Scheifele. I'll take that thank you very much. Even if Scheifele's production falls off next year and doesn't look up to a NHL exhibition 4 Nations tourney, I'm still inclined to stick with Perfetti,
Agreed. Canada has a lot of good players in the works. I still think the USA are the favourites as all of their forwards are virtually in there primes or more established than Canada’s and the American defence is on-par, if not better than Canada’s. Goaltending shouldn’t even be a discussion, America all day. If this tournament was in 2028, I’m sure Canada would be the favourite.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Byfield - McDavid - Bedard
Marchand - Crosby - MacKinnon
McTavish - Point - Marner
Cirelli - Dubois - Konecny
Thomas, Cozens, Suzuki

Toews - Makar
Morrissey - Pietrangelo
Power - Theodore
Byram, Pelech

Goal...?

Crosby, Marchand and Pietrangelo might be on the decline by 2025, but I'm betting they're still playing at a sufficiently high level to contribute on a "best-on-best" team.

I like Byfield's skating, board work, strength, and passing ability to complement McDavid and Bedard, who is the obvious triggerman on our top line going forward. I see them as the ideal wingers for McDavid.
No Dobson? He legitimately might be Canada’s 3rd best offensive weapon after Makar and Morrisey by 2025.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
No Dobson? He legitimately might be Canada’s 3rd best offensive weapon after Makar and Morrisey by 2025.

Dobson is right there, especially as a RHS defenseman, but I feel Byram is the better all-around defenseman and has Stanley cup finals experience (I’ll have to go back and check but I think there were a few finals games when he led the Avs in ice time). Obviously injuries and realizing his full potential are concerns.

Overall I personally put a premium on NHL playoff and international experience. I also don’t care so much about pure offensive ability, the rest of my projected defense group are at least good offensively (except maybe Pelech, who’d be there strictly for his defense) and my focus would be on two-way ability and versatility. Putting aside Makar, a once in a generation player, guys like Theodore and Toews are my ideal defenseman in a Team Canada context.

Realistically there are several players - such as Ekblad and Doughty - that could still be in the conversation for 2025.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Was about to question why the hell Montembeault is on there but I presume it's from a French TV station so that makes sense.

Wow our goaltending has gone downhill. Guess they'll roll with Hill, Hart and..... Logan Thompson? Unless Levi steps it up or Bennington improves his play.
I was thinking Jarry

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Sure, though then it's not very realistic to play games in Europe.
I don't see why not. They just had the Europe Serries in Sweden. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that the IIHF had anything to do with it.

It would be no different. NHL All star games with multiple teams based on country of birth. Don't even call them by their country names. Call them the Beavers, Eagles, Reindeer and Bear.

Or is it the mere fact that Russia is involved and that protesters would show en mass to protest?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I don't see why not. They just had the Europe Serries in Sweden. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that the IIHF had anything to do with it.

It would be no different. NHL All star games with multiple teams based on country of birth. Don't even call them by their country names. Call them the Beavers, Eagles, Reindeer and Bear.

Or is it the mere fact that Russia is involved and that protesters would show en mass to protest?
The local federations are far too influential to let that happen on their turf in any form even remotely resembling national team hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad