WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
I didn't know where else to ask this. Where has the International Tournaments thread gone? Where can we discuss the Olympics? Thanks

DavidLamb

Nov 14, 2017
I needed to make this to distract myself for a bit.
Here's a preliminary list I made for next year, let me know if I'm missing someone important:

Carter Hart, Stuart Skinner, Ian Scott, Michael DiPietro, Dylan Wells, Evan Fitzpatrick

Victor Mete, Nicholas Hague, Logan Stanley, Sean Day, Dennis Cholowski, Dante Fabbro, Cale Makar, Kale Clague, Cal Foote, Jake Bean, Cale Fleury, David Quenneville, Josh Anderson, Samuel Girard, Thomas Gregoire, Pierre-Olivier Joseph, Luke Green

Adam Mascherin, Cliff Pu, Taylor Raddysh, Michael McLeod, Owen Tippett, Gabriel Villardi, Jordan Kyrou, Will Bitten, Givani Smith, Boris Katchouk, Nick Suzuki, Tyson Jost, Shane Bowers, Cameron Morrison, Dillon Dube, Nolan Patrick, Cody Glass, Mason Shaw, Sam Steel, Tyler Benson, Skyler McKenzie, Brett Howden, Kole Lind, Matthew Phillips, Noah Gregor, Michael Rasmussen, Stelio Matheos, Maxime Comtois, Pierre-Luc Dubois, Pascal Laberge, Antoine Morand

The coaches are biased. Bean and Fabbro are the worst defensemen on the team, and they made the team. The Canadian defense could have been a lot better with Mahura. Please look at the stats. Bean is a defensive liability. Almost every goal against Canada, it is either Bean or Fabbro is on the ice. Please, everyone do something on hockey Canada facebook page to pressure them to make the right decision. Please review the stats from the TSN site. We need to prevent this for the fans or Canadian hockey.
Thank you.

Reactions: New Scotlander

DavidLamb

Nov 14, 2017
The coaches are biased. Bean and Fabbro are the worst defensemen on the team, and they made the team. The Canadian defense could have been a lot better with Mahura. Please look at the stats. Bean is a defensive liability. Almost every goal against Canada, it is either Bean or Fabbro is on the ice. Please, everyone do something on hockey Canada facebook page to pressure them to make the right decision. Please review the stats from the TSN site. We need to prevent this for the fans or Canadian hockey.
Thank you.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Thank you.
Alas, I don't think they are going to listen to armchair fans such as all of us.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Thank you.

I will listen to you, but only because your point is much stronger for having been bolded.

I don't see why Fabbro should be singled out. Maybe he shouldn't have made the team due to his health, but he hasn't played enough to stand out in a good or bad way. Bean is a defensive liability but he's been pretty good on the PP and hasn't been horrible since the Finland game. Clague has been worse. It is kind of hard to believe that Bean is a -1 and Clague is a 0 in the tournament to this point.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I will listen to you, but only because your point is much stronger for having been bolded.

I don't see why Fabbro should be singled out. Maybe he shouldn't have made the team due to his health, but he hasn't played enough to stand out in a good or bad way. Bean is a defensive liability but he's been pretty good on the PP and hasn't been horrible since the Finland game. Clague has been worse. It is kind of hard to believe that Bean is a -1 and Clague is a 0 in the tournament to this point.

In the lineup posting in the GDT thread they have makar paired with clague today, wonder if that is accurate?

hockeyanalyst99

Dec 22, 2017

---------------------------------------------------------
Team Canada cannot afford any weak link especially on defense or goalie if they want to win a gold medal. They got one gold in the last 7 years. Bean is has a great wrist shot on the PP, but Canada got other great D-man such as Makar, Timins, Clague, and Mete who can play on the PP and they don't pass the puck to the opposing team that turned into a goal... Remember the second goal scored by the Swiss -- image if this the goal medal game. I would be jumping off my seat.

Further, you cannot afford risking to carry an injured defenseman who is not 100%. Mahura is a very good puck-carrying defenseman who is not a defensive liability. Hockey Canada needs to wake up and stop being like the House of Senate- once a player is on the previous year team, you are untouchable pretty much unless that player has really a poor performance.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
---------------------------------------------------------
Team Canada cannot afford any weak link especially on defense or goalie if they want to win a gold medal. They got one gold in the last 7 years. Bean is has a great wrist shot on the PP, but Canada got other great D-man such as Makar, Timins, Clague, and Mete who can play on the PP and they don't pass the puck to the opposing team that turned into a goal... Remember the second goal scored by the Swiss -- image if this the goal medal game. I would be jumping off my seat.

Further, you cannot afford risking to carry an injured defenseman who is not 100%. Mahura is a very good puck-carrying defenseman who is not a defensive liability. Hockey Canada needs to wake up and stop being like the House of Senate- once a player is on the previous year team, you are untouchable pretty much unless that player has really a poor performance.

I wouldn't have picked Bear and I probably wouldn't have picked Fabbro, but I understand that they are there and at least one of them is going to get significant minutes. Bean hasn't been as bad as expected, and credit to Ducharme for putting him on the third pairing and giving him PP minutes. Fabbro just wasn't healthy. If Fabbro can provide solid defensive cover and Makar gets decent minutes then the defence should be acceptable.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Not sure how this team is going to do going forward but for me this is imperative, more Batherson and Makar.

Batherson is just a smart player who does everything well, he needs to play a bigger role going forward, he should be a go to guy. Ditto for cale, I am not saying he is erik karlsson but the way he skates and makes plays with that skating reminds me of him a lot, he has that standing straight up while he moves wings on his skates skating style just like him, he does not have that bent over head down charging with all his might skating that someone like Mete has. Makar just floats effortlessly with his head up looking for plays to be made while he is doing it style.The guy can take it from end to end or hit guys right on the tape if they are open when he is rushing the biscuit,he moves the puck around the horn with skill and authority on the p.p and has a hard and accurate shot that he also knows exactly when and where to use.He was a steal at 4 in the draft IMO, looks to me like he should have went top 2, he has been nothing but real impressive pretty much every shift he has been out there this tournament.

After the czech game I will say this again.............................more f***ing Drake.

And makar.

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I love it, tough game tomorrow though, they will be the best team we have faced.

Should bring out the best in the boys. These kids make me proud to watch hockey, playing the Canadian way.

Fast, skilled, and aggressive on the forecheck finishing hits and attack the puck.

Go Canada Go!!

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Should bring out the best in the boys. These kids make me proud to watch hockey, playing the Canadian way.

Fast, skilled, and aggressive on the forecheck finishing hits and attack the puck.

Go Canada Go!!

sweden is real dangerous though, when that backend gets activated into the offense they can sting you fast and often, we have to be on their ass with snarl and speed.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
sweden is real dangerous though, when that backend gets activated into the offense they can sting you fast and often, we have to be on their ass with snarl and speed.

Hit everything that moves. Their D isn't overly big, need to get on them quickly and nonstop pressure on the forecheck.

Reactions: jj cale

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
This seems like the type of team who will have barely any NHL'ers in the future..

Watching guys like McLeod, Katchouk, Dube, Formenton, Steenberg, Howden, Gadjovich, Comtois they don't have the skill. Just my opinion.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I am looking forward to the game tomorrow. Canada picked most of the right players and has utilized most of them properly. Stylistically Sweden is usually not very good against Canada, so that bodes well. Guys like Katchouk and Comtois will be critical, as those physical players (recall Stephens last year) really disrupt Sweden. Ducharme has seemingly figured out his defencemen for the most part, though I would like to see Clague's minutes go down further.

Hart is going to be a huge factor. He has done little to engender confidence in this tournament. Even in a lopsided game tonight Hart gave away the second goal and offered a massive open net that the Czechs somehow missed. If he plays well I think that Canada is very likely to win. Overall I would put Canada's odds at something like 7/10. Talent is similar, but I don't like how Sweden generally plays against Canada.

Last, have to give credit to Batherson. It's rare for any team to get such quality depth scoring, and that's just in addition to the consistent energy that Batherson is bringing. I had written him off after the brutal finger injury. Glad that I was wrong on that front.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
This seems like the type of team who will have barely any NHL'ers in the future..

Watching guys like McLeod, Katchouk, Dube, Formenton, Steenberg, Howden, Gadjovich, Comtois they don't have the skill. Just my opinion.

Sure you're not watching the Oilers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad