WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
I like Hart and he should be good. I think the backup will be Dipietro who's also excellent. As a Hurricane fan, Stuart Skinner can be a world beater, he carried the Hurricanes past the Tigers in the WHL second round but he is prone to being inconsistent. Wells was also good too. Despite this, I'm pretty pessimistic about our goal tending no matter who's our goalie they always seem to fall apart during the world junior regardless of who they are, where they play,draft positions, age or past success.
Dont sleep on Harvey.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
With McKenzie's latest tweet that Fabbro, Clague, Bean, and Mete will form the core top-4 unit for Canada, I wonder what it means for prospects like Makar and Timmins. Based on those comments, Timmins probably does not make the roster, and I wonder if Makar has much of role, although Makar had a big role and looked great IMO at the Summer Showcase.

I am not impressed with Canada's top-4 if they are giving most of the minutes to Fabbro-Clague-Bean-Mete.

Bean was underwhelming last year. Hopefully he has a much better tournament this time around.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I’m guessing you’ll see something like:

Clague- Fabbro
Mete- Foote
Bean- Makar
Timmins

However I know Clague plays the right side a lot so it’s possible he flips to the Right side and moves someone else off the team..

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Guhle got snub

When, last year? Possibly.

The prospect of Bean being locked into a top four spot is scary. He was horrible last year and was quite bad in the super series. I don't understand why Hockey Canada views him so highly. Last year he barely played before the camp started and they gifted him a spot.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Swear I heard Jost was getting sent to Camp
Welcome to the Avalanche media

Timmins is more risk/reward than Makar. People assume he's a two way guy because of his size. If he can limit the turnovers then I can see him as a good 7th guy but what they see in camp probably will determine that. He tends to look either really good when he's being aggressive and the positives outweigh the mistakes or he looks overwhelmed when the mistakes start to pile up.

Reactions: irunthepeg

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
is anyone else fed up with this tournament since we're never ever able to ice our best team? I know other teams miss players too at times but it's nothing close to whats been held back for us...how can we possibly call this a true measure of the best? we can't there is no best on best junior tournament

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
is anyone else fed up with this tournament since we're never ever able to ice our best team? I know other teams miss players too at times but it's nothing close to whats been held back for us...how can we possibly call this a true measure of the best? we can't there is no best on best junior tournament

I never cared.. this is the still the best tournament

Canada's bragging rights is winning with depth. Shouldn't it mean more that we can win while supposedly being handicapped

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I am also not sure Canada has a clear advantage in elite players that are ready for the NHL.. anymore

My top 3 for this year's draft are all European

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Finland would win easily if Laine and Puljujarvi were available.

Reactions: Connor McDaigle

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Mete has already shown he can play very well against bad teams in the nhl. It’s just the bigger teams he has problems with. He should be able to dominate this tournament at every turn.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
People complaining about the roster but I don’t see how America has a single advantage, anywhere, in any way.

Comparing the roster unfavourably to recent Canadian rosters is the general tradition around here. Paradoxically every year the roster is below average. I don't see how the Canadian roster likely won't be better on paper than the American roster, but they're in the same ballpark and the game (or games) should be good.

TonyStrecher

Dec 1, 2017
Anyone have some thoughts on what Canada's PP units will look like? Who quarterbacks the top unit, Mete, Clague, Makar or Bean?

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Honestly I like this team. They aren't big names but the forwards are solid and the defense look decent too and Hart should with his experience and WHL play be the best goalie there.

Defense and goaltending are just as big of factors as the Offense if they weren't maybe this team
2016 World Juniors - Team Canada Roster - Article - TSN wouldn't be the worst team in recent memory.

Honestly I don't dislike the player but I think if you've already got Mete then Hague might be a better choice than Bean.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Comparing the roster unfavourably to recent Canadian rosters is the general tradition around here. Paradoxically every year the roster is below average. I don't see how the Canadian roster likely won't be better on paper than the American roster, but they're in the same ballpark and the game (or games) should be good.
Yeah, they always seem of late to come together as a team better than anyone else in the tournament.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
What's the correlation? I actually think the U.S. and Canadian teams are pretty similar.
Sorry, I was reading through the thread for a significant length and found comparisons between the two nations’ rosters/lineups. I easily prefer Canada’s from top to bottom - and I don’t think that is bias, just honest preference in a head-to-head, but I suppose I wouldn’t know the difference if it was one or the other. The one area where I would have given you the advantage is in top line forwards, as Mittelstadt-Brown-Yamamoto is fairly terrifying...or rather was. Mittelstadt is exceeding my expectations in college, but Yamamoto has been flat out horrendous since returning to the WHL, and he’s played enough hockey since the move that he really has no excuse. I also watch Windsor often, having personal connections to the area, and despite his stats I am wholly unimpressed by Brown, compared to how I believe he could and should be playing considering his situation.

Please, shoot back. This website is so barren of meaningful conversations and debates these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad