WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
Not sure why Giovanni Smith is on team OHL for the series he hasn't played a game yet for Guelph this year.

Last edited:

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Taylor Raddysh - Michael McLeod - Owen Tippett
Jordan Kyrou - Cody Glass - Nick Suzuki
Michael Rasmussen - Gabriel Vilardi - Sam Steel
Alex Formenton - Brett Howden - Robert Thomas
Tyler Steenbergen - Kole Lind

Jake Bean - Samuel Girard
Dante Fabbro - Kale Clague
Cale Makar - Logan Stanley
Cal Foote

Carter Hart
Michael Dipietro

Last edited:

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
Taylor Raddysh - Michael McLeod - Owen Tippett
Jordan Kyrou - Cody Glass - Nick Suzuki
Michael Rasmussen - Gabriel Vilardi - Sam Steel
Alex Formenton - Brett Howden - Robert Thomas
Tyler Steenbergen - Kole Lind

Jake Bean - Samuel Girard
Dante Fabbro - Kale Clague
Cale Makar - Logan Stanley
Cal Foote

Carter Hart
Michael Dipietro

Not a bad projection but I'm of the mind that both Matthew Phillips and Maxime Comtois are locks on this team. I probably take off Rasmussen and Formenton.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Not a bad projection but I'm of the mind that both Matthew Phillips and Maxime Comtois are locks on this team. I probably take off Rasmussen and Formenton.

Yep wouldn't be surprised, close calls, but I like Formenton and Rasmussen because they can bring something different to the team and solidify our bottom6.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Any of Cliff Pu, Robert Thomas, Alex Formenton, Evan Bouchard have a shot at making this team?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Any of Cliff Pu, Robert Thomas, Alex Formenton, Evan Bouchard have a shot at making this team?

Sure, no reason that they wouldn't other than perhaps Pu's lackluster scoring thus far this season. I don't see many locks yet on this team.

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
Here is my team Bobby Mac style

Raddysh-Steel-Kyrou
Dube-McCleod-Tippett
Steenbergen - ? - ?
? - Comtois -?
?

Clague-Fabbro
Bean-Girard
Mahura-?
?

Hart
?

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Anyone think Colton Point will get a camp invite? Admittedly, I haven't watched him this year but his numbers suggest he's playing well in the NCAA.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Anyone think Colton Point will get a camp invite? Admittedly, I haven't watched him this year but his numbers suggest he's playing well in the NCAA.

Went to a USA Hockey goalie camp this summer and as a dual citizen I'm guessing that signifies he's leaning to playing for the US in the future. Tyler Wall may be off to a slow start this year but I'm still very disappointed Canada hasn't given him a single chance either at a WJC camp or brought him to a POE camp. Losing him hurts but we still have Carter Hart and Michael DiPietro. Hart just came back from his injury and is looking like he isn't missing a beat. DiPietro is on fire right now as well.

Digital Dog

Nov 5, 2017
First post so don't roast me...

Ok, so with Benson back there are 4 remaining injured players who are potential WJC roster members...i have a few questions for you guys, some leading, some not...

Michael Mcleod - Likely back in 2 to 3 weeks from now based on his post surgery prognosis (he started skating on his own over a week ago);
  • 100% lock if back regardless of form?
  • Should he be a lock considering his game is based on skating/speed?
  • Will he really be ready in time?
Gabe Vilardi - Still no timeline for his return - he skated for the first time earlier this week;
Givani Smith - Hasn't played a single game this season, no one is talking about his injury;
  • Anyone have any news on his injury?
  • Do Hockey Canada even realise he is injured (jk), why name him to the OHL roster for the Russia series?
  • Just me or do Hockey Canada seem hell bent on getting him on the WJC roster purely becuase he can check and plays a different game to lots of skilled team mates?
  • Even if healthy, regardless of form, does he make the WJC roster?
Jonah Gadjovich - Hasn't played a game for 3 weeks, despite being day-to-day and being scheduled to be back soon after going down, no one is talking about his injury;
  • Has he slipped too far down the bubble list with the likes of Batherson, Ang, Thomas (may be a lock at this point), Lewis, Phillips, Katchouk, Forementon now legitimately competing for final spots?
  • Is his game (his size) different enough to justify a position?
  • Surely he only goes if back and on form?
BTW....If Jordan Kyrou stays healthy I have him for MVP of the tournemnt, even if Canada dont get gold.

Last edited:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

Ok, so with Benson back there are 4 remaining injured players who are potential WJC roster members...i have a few questions for you guys, some leading, some not...

Michael Mcleod - Likely back in 2 to 3 weeks from now based on his post surgery prognosis (he started skating on his own over a week ago);
  • 100% lock if back reardless of form?
Gabe Vilardi - Still no timeline for his return - he skated for the first time earlier this week;
Givani Smith - Hasn't played a single game this season, no one is talking about his injury;
  • Do Hockey Canada even realise he is injured (jk), why name him to the OHL roster for the Russia series?
  • Just me or do Hockey Canada seem hell bent on getting him on the WJC roster purely becuase he can check and plays a different game to lots of skilled team mates?
  • Even if healthey, regardless of form, does he make the WJC roster?
Jonah Gadjovich - Hasn't played a game for 3 weeks, despite being day-to-day and being scheduled to be back soon after going down, no one is talking about his injury;
  • Has he slipped too far down the bubble list with the likes of Batherson, Ang, Thomas (may be a lock at this point), Lewis, Phillips, Katchouk, Forementon now legitimately competing for final spots?
BTW....If Jordan Kyrou stays healthy I have him for MVP of the tournemnt, even if Canada dont get gold.

I would say no A BIG NO to all of them except for McLeod, but only if he manages to get in 6-8 games before camp on Dec 12., if he decent then he gets an invite. If not, then he can watch the tournament like the rest of us in his Christmas jammies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

• 100% lock if back reardless of form?
  • Even if healthey, regardless of form, does he make the WJC roster?

Unless the player is back and playing well, I don't want them on the team. I don't think that Hockey Canada necessarily thinks the same way. Certainly they took Bean last year despite him barely being back by the time camp started. If McLeod is back in two weeks then presumably he will be fine and will probably be good to make the team. I wouldn't bet on the other three making it.

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
Thank you Digital Dog I had no idea Smith was hurt I was wondering where he had been. Thought he might have been with Detroit but obviously not. So this definitely opens up a lot of options for us

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
Raddysh-Steel-Kyrou
Dube-McCleod-Tippett
Steenbergen-Phillips-Suzuki
?-Comtois-Howden
?

Clague-Fabbro
Bean-Girard
Mahura-?
?

Hart
DiPietro

These are my locks right now

Digital Dog

Nov 5, 2017
Raddysh-Steel-Kyrou
Dube-McCleod-Tippett
Steenbergen-Phillips-Suzuki
?-Comtois-Howden
?

Clague-Fabbro
Bean-Girard
Mahura-?
?

Hart
DiPietro

These are my locks right now

Is Comtois a lock because he may be the only QMJHL player to make the roster if Girard is in the NHL?

Batherson is the only other player from the Q that has a chance really.

Also... Glass and Thomas must be close to locks based on their overall play right now

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
There's a lot of ?'s for the forwards as in who will be healthy but other than Girard the D is petty much locked for me. I'd go

Cholowski-Foote
Clague-Mahura
Hague/Stanley-Makar
Bean

Then Goalies Hart+DiPietro

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
With Girard traded to Colorado, I'm curious to see what happens there. Hopefully he is sent down. It's one thing to stay up in Nashville in a system that churns out top end defencemen with regularity. It's another to play in the tire fire in Colorado... as Jost is.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
This must be the deepest offense we've had in a long time when I see Suzuki on the 3rd line and Robert Thomas on the 4th

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
With Girard traded to Colorado, I'm curious to see what happens there. Hopefully he is sent down. It's one thing to stay up in Nashville in a system that churns out top end defencemen with regularity. It's another to play in the tire fire in Colorado... as Jost is.

Really wish Jost had another year of development in the NCAA to get stronger.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I haven't seen anyone mention Morgan Frost yet. He's really coming on lately. A real smart, well rounded player and exceptional playmaker. I believe almost every point he has this year is a primary point.

Obviously, there are a lot of good candidates for this team. Making it will not be easy, but don't be shocked if he gets a camp invite.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's about TOI. Jost is going to get it with Duchene gone especially. He was told to get a place too so don't hold out hope there.

That said, if I had to bet right now before seeing Girard in an Avs sweater that they will send him back. There's a log jam of other young LHD and knowing the Avs they'll want that contract to slide.

My question is on Bowers, any shot for him to make the team? He was at he WJSS, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad