WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's about TOI. Jost is going to get it with Duchene gone especially. He was told to get a place too so don't hold out hope there.

That said, if I had to bet right now before seeing Girard in an Avs sweater that they will send him back. There's a log jam of other young LHD and knowing the Avs they'll want that contract to slide.

My question is on Bowers, any shot for him to make the team? He was at he WJSS, no?

I also expect that Jost is staying, I just don't like it unless he gets solid playing time and proves that he belongs. If he does then good for all parties involved. I will remain hopeful that Girard is sent down.

Do you mean the super series with regard to Bowers? He's an NCAA player, and the super series is only for CHLers. Looking at his statline (6 points in 10 games) I would have to think that he is a big longshot. Not a lock to get an invitation.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I also expect that Jost is staying, I just don't like it unless he gets solid playing time and proves that he belongs. If he does then good for all parties involved. I will remain hopeful that Girard is sent down.

Do you mean the super series with regard to Bowers? He's an NCAA player, and the super series is only for CHLers. Looking at his statline (6 points in 10 games) I would have to think that he is a big longshot. Not a lock to get an invitation.

He didn't play at WJSS, but at Hlinka. He was okay, nothing special. couldn't produce much. I would imagine he's a LONG Longshot. as a '99 there's always next year. maybe/maybe not.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Not sure why Giovanni Smith is on team OHL for the series he hasn't played a game yet for Guelph this year.

As a wings fan I doubt Smith makes it this year. Hes a guy I'm sure Canada likes for his different skill set, but I also think he probably had to have a really hot start (and disciplined start) to actually have a shot at taking a 4th line spot. I'm not even sure what his injury is but if he isnt back within ~1 week and have an unreal month before they start picking the team I doubt he makes it.

After seeing them in camp and stuff I dont see how Canada could take him over Rasmussen either. Rasmussen has enough size and edge to his game to be a physical factor in the tourney but hes a much better hockey player than Smith. Even if Rasmussen doesnt look like his scoring is crazy right now, hes the clear leader on a team in his draft +1 season as the captain, offensive catalyst and 2 way player.

Excited to get the super series underway tonight so that these guys can all show what they have on the same ice surface. In these junior leagues, the difference in teammates can make an absolutely enormous difference. The super series helps put everyone on even footing

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Is Batherson limited to Hockey Canada and ineligible for Team USA because of his stint with Team Nova Scotia?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Is Batherson limited to Hockey Canada and ineligible for Team USA because of his stint with Team Nova Scotia?

Unless a tournament is organized by the IIHF, and no tournament featuring a team Nova Scotia would be organized by the IIHF, then a player is not bound to play for that team going forward. I'm not sure if Batherson is eligible to play for USA due to the rule that a player must play hockey in a country for a given period if they wish to represent that country.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I’m going to exclude guys still in the NHL since I don’t have intel on who’s coming back and who hasn’t, at this point all the guys you’d think could come back are still in the NHL. If they were to come back, obviosuly they’d be locks for the team if healthy. There’s some other guys that I’m watching closely too that I really like but at this point this is what I’d send.

Steel- McLeod- Kyrou
Steenbergen- Suzuki- Raddysh
Dube- Thomas- Tippett
Katchouk- Glass- Phillips
Howden

Clague- Fabbro
Cholowski- Foote
Stanley- Makar
Bean

Hart
DiPietro
Point

We won’t take 3 goalies but if we did I’d be giving the nod to Point.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
POsted this in the subway series thread but will post here as well

Impressions from game 1 super series:

Hart looked really good, I'm sure he'll be the starter come January.

The Lind Glass Rasmussen line could be the perfect third line at the WJC. They have Lind and Rasmussen playing a grind it out style but enough talent to score with Glass as well. This was the clear best line on the ice tonight.

Steel and Dube both looked really good. Locks to make team Canada I'm sure.

Steenbergen definitely didnt look as good as his stat line suggests. He'll be in a battle for a spot I think.

Jake Bean was probably Canadas worst player. It sounds like hes a lock (Bob Mackenzie) but I have no idea why. Turnovers, bad decisions galore tonight.

Foote could pivot a little bit better but him and Cholwski looked very good. I'm a wings fan and obviously biased but Cholowski may have been Canadas best defender tonight.

Mahura was kinda meh for me tonight. Did some good stuff, did some stuff I didnt like too.

Clague was solid.

Also pretty shitty for these 2 but Rasmussen and Andersen Dolans equipment were lost in transit and they both had to play with all brand new equipment. WOuldnt be easy for them. Rassmusen looked good but Anderson-Dolan didnt do much at all

Reactions: Connor McDaigle

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Steel, Dube and Glass are locks to make it IMO

Gotta say Canada is shaping up to be early favourites

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
I’m going to exclude guys still in the NHL since I don’t have intel on who’s coming back and who hasn’t, at this point all the guys you’d think could come back are still in the NHL. If they were to come back, obviosuly they’d be locks for the team if healthy. There’s some other guys that I’m watching closely too that I really like but at this point this is what I’d send.

Steel- McLeod- Kyrou
Steenbergen- Suzuki- Raddysh
Dube- Thomas- Tippett
Katchouk- Glass- Phillips
Howden

Clague- Fabbro
Cholowski- Foote
Stanley- Makar
Bean

Hart
DiPietro
Point

We won’t take 3 goalies but if we did I’d be giving the nod to Point.

You lost credibility here

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
POsted this in the subway series thread but will post here as well

Impressions from game 1 super series:

Hart looked really good, I'm sure he'll be the starter come January.

The Lind Glass Rasmussen line could be the perfect third line at the WJC. They have Lind and Rasmussen playing a grind it out style but enough talent to score with Glass as well. This was the clear best line on the ice tonight.

Steel and Dube both looked really good. Locks to make team Canada I'm sure.

Steenbergen definitely didnt look as good as his stat line suggests. He'll be in a battle for a spot I think.

Jake Bean was probably Canadas worst player. It sounds like hes a lock (Bob Mackenzie) but I have no idea why. Turnovers, bad decisions galore tonight.

Foote could pivot a little bit better but him and Cholwski looked very good. I'm a wings fan and obviously biased but Cholowski may have been Canadas best defender tonight.

Mahura was kinda meh for me tonight. Did some good stuff, did some stuff I didnt like too.

Clague was solid.

Also pretty ****ty for these 2 but Rasmussen and Andersen Dolans equipment were lost in transit and they both had to play with all brand new equipment. WOuldnt be easy for them. Rassmusen looked good but Anderson-Dolan didnt do much at all

I can't agree at all that Cholowski was the best defenceman. It was clearly Clague. Bean and Quenneville were in a race for the bottom. Overall I was unimpressed by the defencemen, given that the WHL has more of Canada's projected top defencemen than any other league. Hart's performance was encouraging though, he looked good despite a lot of sudden chances against him.

Also, McKenzie put out a column on the WJC tournament this year.

http://www.tsn.ca/world-junior-selection-process-ramps-up-1.907378

Interesting to note that he has Thomas as essentially a lock. When McKenzie puts a player down as a lock, or close to it, he usually has a reason to do so.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I can't agree at all that Cholowski was the best defenceman. It was clearly Clague. Bean and Quenneville were in a race for the bottom. Overall I was unimpressed by the defencemen, given that the WHL has more of Canada's projected top defencemen than any other league. Hart's performance was encouraging though, he looked good despite a lot of sudden chances against him.

Also, McKenzie put out a column on the WJC tournament this year.

http://www.tsn.ca/world-junior-selection-process-ramps-up-1.907378

Interesting to note that he has Thomas as essentially a lock. When McKenzie puts a player down as a lock, or close to it, he usually has a reason to do so.

Yeah youre right, Clague probably was better. I was doing that analysis right at the end of the game without thinking much about it. I would say Cholowski was probably the second best dman out there though, he looked very smooth and fast, moved the puck as well as anyone too. Agree on Bean and Quenvillethough.

I read that column earlier, he also makes it sound like Bean is a lock. I dont understand what Hockey Canada sees in him. Hes supposed to go and be the offensive go to guy but his production is very mediocre and defensive game well behind basically anyone else trying out for the team. I dont get it.

And not WHL related but just rereading that column, I know Formenton "made" Ottawa this year, but if he didnt get that little 1 game cup of coffee in the NHL this year, would anyone be talking about him being anywhere near this team? I've only watched him twice (NHL game and one OHL game) so maybe I'm missing something but a guy who only scored 34 points last season and only one goal this season shouldnt be on team Canada. There are guys that can do what he does defensively while bringing a lot more talent to the team

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm just happy Steenbergen is getting a look. I was kind of shocked he was, regardless of how well he has done to this point.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I read that column earlier, he also makes it sound like Bean is a lock. I dont understand what Hockey Canada sees in him. Hes supposed to go and be the offensive go to guy but his production is very mediocre and defensive game well behind basically anyone else trying out for the team. I dont get it.

The scary thing is that McKenzie described Bean as a lock last year, despite him missing almost all of his junior games prior to the camp, and sure enough he easily made the team. Ducharme didn't even make Bean play all of the exhibition games. I don't know why Hockey Canada loves Bean. He is not good defensively, is just fine offensively, not a particularly good skater, and was terrible at the tournament last year. I really do hope that he is not gifted a spot on the team. I am also open to not bringing Fabbro back if he isn't great at camp.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The scary thing is that McKenzie described Bean as a lock last year, despite him missing almost all of his junior games prior to the camp, and sure enough he easily made the team. Ducharme didn't even make Bean play all of the exhibition games. I don't know why Hockey Canada loves Bean. He is not good defensively, is just fine offensively, not a particularly good skater, and was terrible at the tournament last year. I really do hope that he is not gifted a spot on the team. I am also open to not bringing Fabbro back if he isn't great at camp.

Bean is a head scratcher, not sure why they love him so much. Last year he was a dfisaster but i thought to myself that maybe it was just the long layoff or he just had a bad set of games but watching him last night and he still doesn't seem to be any better.

Don't get it.

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
Bean is a head scratcher, not sure why they love him so much. Last year he was a dfisaster but i thought to myself that maybe it was just the long layoff or he just had a bad set of games but watching him last night and he still doesn't seem to be any better.

Don't get it.

Came in to ask the same thing. If it was a new coaching staff I think there would be a pretty good chance he would get cut. But its the exact same one that seemed to take him no questions asked last year.

He looked OK last night though. We'll see

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Came in to ask the same thing. If it was a new coaching staff I think there would be a pretty good chance he would get cut. But its the exact same one that seemed to take him no questions asked last year.

I look at his play and still don't see what he would add to this upcoming WJC team.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

He looked OK last night in the sense that WHL won 7-0 so everyone looked decent I guess. But watching that game he was by far Canada's worst dman. I dont know all the players out there so everytime someone screwed up badly I was saying who was that, and sure enough 90% of the time it was Bean. He had a few bad turnovers in the defensive zone and just didnt look like he belonged. I cant believe hes a returning player

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
He looked OK last night in the sense that WHL won 7-0 so everyone looked decent I guess. But watching that game he was by far Canada's worst dman. I dont know all the players out there so everytime someone screwed up badly I was saying who was that, and sure enough 90% of the time it was Bean. He had a few bad turnovers in the defensive zone and just didnt look like he belonged. I cant believe hes a returning player

It seems a bit unnecessary of me to pile on when pretty much everyone around here agrees about Bean, but yes he is mystifying. Last night the Russian forwards were consistently able to get around him for partial breakaways on Hart. He's a mess.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
You lost credibility here

I have Stanley there because I believe he brings a different element to the team then a lot of other guys. Mahura, Hague, along with the other guys in the NHL to me, would be battling for spots on the left side. If the NHL guys come back then Stanley is out. At this point, I’d have him in.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
I have Stanley there because I believe he brings a different element to the team then a lot of other guys. Mahura, Hague, along with the other guys in the NHL to me, would be battling for spots on the left side. If the NHL guys come back then Stanley is out. At this point, I’d have him in.

Great. Can't wait to see the best players in the world blow by him

Reactions: cgf and cg98

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
looking at the U.S potential roster I doubt this.

We are one of a few teams in the mix this year, can't see us as favourites.

Agreed. The US is just too strong this year.

Our only real chance is if Hart or Dipietro can steal a game.

What exactly am I missing about the American roster? It looks weaker than what they have sent in recent years. No big top end star and depth that is good but not exceptional.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad