Olympics: Can you really be mad at whoever wins the Olympics?

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Not really about whoever wins, no.

Biased reffing, yes. And that could result in me being mad on the team winning, yes.

The Big Swede*

I want Canada to win period....Ill be sad if they dont

Ill be very happy if neither the Russians or Americans dont win medals

stug*

Only if Finland wins when they beat us. Then the remote will fly and land hard.

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
mad is the wrong word... I'd be extremely disappointed - more so than in 06 or in 98, more so than in any loss I have witnessed as a hockey fan outside the 94 playoff loss, which was bar none the most disappointing hockey loss in my life (as a fan).

The reason why this would be near as big a disappointment is because the Olympics are in Vancouver. My home town, where I grew up, where I learned the game, and learned to love the game as much as I do... In my lifetime, this may never happen again - the chance to win it on home ice - and not just in Canada, but in Vancouver!

As such, if any team but Canada wins, it'll be a MASSIVE disappointment... the last time I actually cried after a loss was in 94... but I could see myself doing so again if Canada loses here.

I'm also taking time off to be there for the entire tournament, and have several friends and extended family flying in, several of who are Americans, so if the US wins, or even does better than Canada, I will never hear the end of it.

Grabovski

Aug 12, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
I will be mad if Canada doesn't win (which won't happen), and I will be very mad if USA or Russia win Gold (which also won't happen). And I will be happy when Canada beats USA in the group game. :)

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
I would probably only be 'mad' if Russia won it all. It's going to be more about being extremely upset if Canada doesn't win. Although, I must say, I would be least upset if Finland were to win instead of us...I'm torn with the US because they have quite a few of my favorite players, but their fanbase on HF is the one I would least like to see have that kind of ammunition to hold over our heads.:laugh:

fatloui

Apr 1, 2008
Western NY
Of course I'll root for my home country and my roots, but I'm pretty certain that neither the US or Slovakia is not gonna get the gold, so I'm not really gonna be disappointed at all. I'm just looking forward to 2 weeks of sick nasty hockey (and, you know what, hopefully some drama too)!! :yo:

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You would think not, but there's already so much anti-American sentiment around here.....

Welcome to the world. I'm not one of them, I like the US of A (except in hockey) but you should expect it at this point.

To answer the question, with the Olympics in my home city I will consider them a failure if Canada doesn't win gold in men's hockey.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
There's no point in being mad at the team that wins. Only to the one that loses.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
If Sweden doesn't win it I'm rooting for Finland. They're supposed to be our rivals I know, but it's hard as a Ducks fan not to root for Selanne and Koivu. After them I'm rooting for either Canada or the U.S. Simply because that's where the NHL is. If it would be the Czechs or Slovakia, I won't be mad though. The only team I'm rooting against is Russia, simply because of their success in the last couple of WC's and because of the KHL.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I want anyone except Canada to win, heck, even Finland.

I've grown to lov....lik.....tolerate Finland more and more. My list of preferred winners would be..

1: Sweden
10: Russia
10: Slovakia
10: Finland
13: Usa
14: Czech Rep

100: Canada

OMGaudreau

Jun 19, 2006
No reason to get mad over who wins or who doesnt. Dissapointment is a much more realistic emotion to happen. I don't really think Canada is going to win it so I am getting over the dissapointment early.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Obviously I'll be cheering on Canada, and will be dissapointed if they lose.

However, I do like the thought of the Finns or Americans winning (they better not make another Disney movie out of it though :laugh:)

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Mad is too strong of a word. I would be disappointed and/or annoyed if the US won gold at the Olympics. As a Canadian living in Chicago I am the only one amongst my coworkers and friends who is passionate about hockey. I know a few individuals who follow hockey, and the sport's popularity is gaining steam in the city with the resurgence of the Hawks, but most people I know are what I would refer to as casual fans.

Like 2002, I imagine if the US goes on a run, the band wagon fans would starts coming out in droves and the ignorant taunting and statements would begin from people who most likely did not know who, for example, Bobby Ryan was a few days previous. Such annoying behavior settles down quickly when the US hockey team falters; however, I can only imagine how out of hand it would become if the USA actually won in Vancouver.

That being said, I am always mad (not at a particular team) when Canada loses.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
For me, I hate Canada like most USA fans but its hard to root against Babcock and Stevie Y for me. As the thread states, it really is hard to be mad at whoever wins.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I wont be mad at anyone winning the Gold... hell all these teams are very talented.

However I will concider the Olympics a failure if Canada fails to win the Gold
No matter how many speed skating medals we win

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
For me, I hate Canada like most USA fans but its hard to root against Babcock and Stevie Y for me. As the thread states, it really is hard to be mad at whoever wins.

To build on an American joke I hear often about Canada being USA jr, etc... I would be pissed too if almost every time you stepped on the ice your "little brother" beat the crap out of you.

:naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad