Olympics: Can you really be mad at whoever wins the Olympics?

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
We've got so much diversity in the game today, many of us are fans of players from several nationalites. Except, perhaps the Americans, who everyone hates;)

Anyways, I have preferences, but I can't be too mad, unless, well, America wins. I wasn't kidding about that.

But if Canada, Russia, Sweden, Finland or possibly even Czech win, I'd be cheering for at least someone on those squads...

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I would never be mad at a team or a nation for winning. I'm disapointed whenever Canada doesn't win, but I realize that they're gonna lose and that every nation is stocked with great players and you're not gonna win every night.

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
We've got so much diversity in the game today, many of us are fans of players from several nation ... if Canada, Russia, Sweden, Finland or possibly even Czech win, I'd be cheering for at least someone on those squads...

I wish more people were more poli-fan and less nationalistic.

I can't help but be in awe of this Russian team.

Both the Finns and the Swedes are also going to be Fantastic.

Will Ryan Miller deliver a game that upsets one of the Fantastic Four?

I just hope for no bad bounces or goals off a defenseman's skate.

And don't miss the non-Canada games in the Prelim Round. Specifcaly The Midnight Games (Eastern) are gonna be some of the best hockey of the opening round.

DungeonK

Love Thy Neighbor
Jul 6, 2006
Atlanta
I wasn't mad when the US didn't win the gold medal in basketball two Olympics ago, eventually the rest of the world has to catch up and you can't win it off of raw talent. Disappointed in my own team, yes, but actually quite proud of the other team for being able to pull off the impossible.

In the past 6 Winter Olympics the gold has gone to 5 different teams (with Sweden being the only repeat), so hopefully nobody feels entitled to the point of being angry if their team doesn't win, or they'll be in for disappointment.

For the Canadians who don't care who wins as long as it isn't the Russians or Americans, you're a big a reason I love reading these boards :)

As long as the games are close I'm happy, obviously moreso if the US wins, but I'm definitely a fan of hockey first and teams second.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
If the U.S. wins the gold... I want it to be against Canada. And I want it to be a blow-out. That way there's no "well if THIS didn't happen then we woulda won". WAHHHHHHHHH!!!

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
If the U.S. wins the gold... I want it to be against Canada. And I want it to be a blow-out. That way there's no "well if THIS didn't happen then we woulda won". WAHHHHHHHHH!!!

If you say it over and over again, it might become a fact :sarcasm:.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
So Canadians... lets make this interesting. If the US and Canada meet in the finals... whoever wins gets the gold AND Mexico. Whattya say?

Hrad

Dec 30, 2009
I'm happy as long as nothing in N. America wins, S. America is okay if they want to try, but not Canada or United States!

Canada always had the most skilled looking roster, this year I'd be scared of the Russians though. A Kovalchuk - Malkin - Ovechkin line would really tear it up.

But of course Slovakia will walk away with the gold so it's all good!:D

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I don't actively root against any of the competitive hockey countries. And even though the US/Canada relationship is very love/hate, I actually root for Canada to do well in pretty much everything. I've always kind of liked the idea of our two countries doing very well. There's not a lot of things that our two countries can't accomplish athletically and I like that.

I don't enjoy the posts on here and the media after the Canadians win in hockey the most out of all countries but that's to be expected as it goes both ways. I do hate losing to Canada though, it stings.

That said, I'm all USA but after that, I enjoy seeing Canada do well next in line.

busta9

Dec 28, 2007
i won't be mad at whoever wins gold but I will be mad if Canada does not win gold.

SMoneyMonkey

Dec 7, 2009
LA/MTL
As long as my favourite players play well, I'm happy. That said in my perfect scenario Canada wins.

I don't think I'd hate any team for winning though, I'm sure I'll dislike some fans for their reaction to it, regardless of the country.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Why do you hate the U S and A so much?

It's not hate. Most Canadians see Russia as our main threat. Lately, a lot see the USA as a major rival.

Seeing that Pens fans would never cheer for their main rival, the Flyers, and vice versa. Leafs fans would never cheer for the Sens, Sens fans never for the Leafs, Flames fans never for the Oilers, Oilers never for the Flames. I'm sure there's more and many in baseball, football and in other sports...most fans don't cheer for their major rivals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad