Hyman 20?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeIs

....--....
Mar 17, 2004
T.O.
I don't think he will hit 20 this year with 30 games to go and sitting at 10 presently.

I think the most surprising thing at this point, that as much criticism as Hyman gets, his 10 goals are still more than Marner (8), and the same amount as his linemate Nylander (10) this year.

When you put it that way, it's actually quite insane. I think with his great work ethic, he'll keep adding to his goal totals every year.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
I don't think he will hit 20 this year with 30 games to go and sitting at 10 presently.

I think the most surprising thing at this point, that as much criticism as Hyman gets, his 10 goals are still more than Marner (8), and the same amount as his linemate Nylander (10) this year.

That's because Marner and Nylander are playmakers. Matthews is the scorer. Surprising, yes, but I think we have to get out of our minds that they can be premier goal scorers.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
He's on pace for 16 goals and 44 points - if I did the math correct.

Last year, he had 10 goals and 28 points.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He'd need some PP time to hit 20. But he's starting to use his speed to generate more offense and his hands are better than we thought. He could hit 20 next year if he replaces Marleau on the PP.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Perspective

Hyman has 11 goals and 30 points with Zero PP time and JVR has 20 goals and 32 points while on PP#1 (7 PP goals)

So minus PP goals Hyman has 11 vs JVR with 13 goals = isn't much different.

If Hyman can score 20 goals a season and do everything else he does Leafs management and fans should be tickled pink.

However given more PP opportunity with his work ethic he will become a 30+ goal man annually.

Last edited:

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Perspective

Hyman has 11 goals and 30 points with Zero PP time and JVR has 20 goals and 32 points while on PP#1 (7 PP goals)

If Hyman can score 20 goals a season and do everything else he does Leafs management and fans should be tickled pink.

Also, (yes, it's a flawed stat, but still) - Hyman is +23, JVR is -8

Reactions: emilepep

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I said it last year at the end of the season. If Hyman even improved his offensive numbers just a little he's going to turn into a pretty important piece for this team.
I know people throw around the gud pro way too much around here but Hyman is going to be a good vet in a couple of years that we can rely on in multiple situations.

Donkey Puck

Feb 15, 2013
Hyman sucks. It seems the whole team has been structured to make this guy look like an NHL player.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I said before the season that it wouldn't be outlandish to expect him to hit 15-20-35 this year. His shooting percentage from high-danger areas was at an unsustainable low last season.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Perspective

Don't forget quality of competition in this as well. Hyman is probably on against the top D because of Matthews while JVR gets the sheltered matchups.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Don't forget quality of competition in this as well. Hyman is probably on against the top D because of Matthews while JVR gets the sheltered matchups.

As much credit Kadri got for scoring 31 goals last year as 3rd liner centre.....he wasn't really a third line centre, he scored 12 goals on the PP, almost all were as the result of replacing Hyman at LW on the PP with Matthews and Nylander.
Kadri has less goals this season because Marleau has taken a lot of his PP minutes.

Just agreeing with you Trapper: Being on the PP really helps a players offensive stats. Admitting having a productive PP is important.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Still don't like him with Matthews. When I watch him, he still looks like too much of a mucker that does not have much skill(the goal in NYC notwithstanding). But he puts up some decent numbers, I guess. Let's say if he was replaced with Kapanen, would that line be any less effective? I wish we could develop a better, more skilled replacement for him. Someone that does what he does but possesses a higher skill level. Properly slotted, he is a 3rd line player (A good one at that).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad