Can anyone currently playing break Chara's slap shot speed record?

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
It's probably rare that guys with the hardest slapshot make the ASG, I saw local depth forward Nick Paul I believe, hit 106ish at a fan fest a year or two back.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
108.8 mph will be hard to beat.

Also the shot that set the record definitely wasn't Chara's hardest shot.(recorded yes, but i've seen harder shots in game)

Its amazing that you were able to know exactly how fast those shots were by simply sitting in the stands. Is that something you learned how to do or were you born with that ability?

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Its amazing that you were able to know exactly how fast those shots were by simply sitting in the stands. Is that something you learned how to do or were you born with that ability?

Using something simple like "probabilities" (doesn't take a genius to figure this out) it's almost guaranteed that he's shot harder in game.

Reactions: HabsQC

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
Chara is the biggest player in the history of the nhl, maybe the strongest player ever (I don't know, I haven't arm wrestled all of them). I can't see anyone shooting harder than him. Parayko and Weber are big guys too, but don't know if they shoot harder than Chara.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Chara is the biggest player in the history of the nhl, maybe the strongest player ever (I don't know, I haven't arm wrestled all of them). I can't see anyone shooting harder than him. Parayko and Weber are big guys too, but don't know if they shoot harder than Chara.
Chara 108.8 record.
Weber 108.5 Ya Weber is in his range.

Reactions: hotcarle and HabsQC

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
Using something simple like "probabilities" (doesn't take a genius to figure this out) it's almost guaranteed that he's shot harder in game.
I'm not so sure. How often do players get the chance to skate into a puck full speed and rip it as hard as they can with no regard for other players?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Weber has lost quite a bit of mass, gonna be hard for him to break the record. He's still gonna have the best shot at it among the ASG players.

Dunno why ppl are saying hes heavier. Even he stated that he leaned out to help with his mobility.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Ryan Pulock has a rocket. But due to Charas size and strength at the time of his so shot record I can’t see anyone now beating it.

Maybe a guy like Seth Jones or Parayko

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I see no reason it couldn’t be beaten, what with all the tech and all that and the natural evolution of the human body.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I see no reason it couldn’t be beaten, what with all the tech and all that and the natural evolution of the human body.

Evolution doesn’t really work like that, I guess if only the biggest and strongest breed with each other it would but right now nothing is breeding out the bad, we don’t need to be fast to hunt or strong enough to fend off the competition, we have no real forces adapting us to shoot a puck better. The slow don’t get eaten and the weak don’t starve and they can still find mates.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I'd be willing to bet several players (Chara included) have topped 108.8, it just wasn't recorded. Phil Kessel shot 104 mph once and he's no ones idea of in shape. A slapshot is mostly mechanics, not brawn.

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada
Maybe this is odd but Mike Hoffman has a cannon of a shot. 3 games in a row a man went down this season after blocking it, and has stunned multiple Goalies.

Is it likely to beat Chara, probably not but deserves a shout.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I'm no physicist, but it seems to me that a guy using a 65-inch stick will inherently have an advantage when it comes to exerting force onto the puck. 108.8mph seems to be getting to the upper end of what a human body can do, unless you start changing the conditions of the shot like the KHL did in order to get a higher result.

Agree with the first part, disagree with the second. I think we're seeing the limit amongst MLB pitchers, because there's no tech involved and they're specifically trying to hone that skill. In hockey the speed is one factor of many, so while it's definitely useful, guys aren't focusing on just that one thing like they might in baseball (ok, maybe they have a curveball as well, but that's still 2 focus points to a defenders 20+). Meanwhile sticks have come a long way, I think the biggest tech leaps have been made, but they're still getting better- give it ten years and I wouldn't be shocked if 115-120 were the new record.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Agree with the first part, disagree with the second. I think we're seeing the limit amongst MLB pitchers, because there's no tech involved and they're specifically trying to hone that skill. In hockey the speed is one factor of many, so while it's definitely useful, guys aren't focusing on just that one thing like they might in baseball (ok, maybe they have a curveball as well, but that's still 2 focus points to a defenders 20+). Meanwhile sticks have come a long way, I think the biggest tech leaps have been made, but they're still getting better- give it ten years and I wouldn't be shocked if 115-120 were the new record.

The better the tech gets, the more injuries we're going to see. The puck moves fast enough. And for that reason I don't think we'll see major improvements on speed. Ask Eriksson Ek if he thinks slappers should come in harder from guys like Weber.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Laine has the most versatile shot (he can shoot it from every position etc.) and it's hard (~100mph) but I don't think he has the hardest slapper. A bit like Ovie doesn't need to have the hardest shot for it to be the deadliest. When they were both 17, Puljujärvi had the hardest shot of the two.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
The better the tech gets, the more injuries we're going to see. The puck moves fast enough. And for that reason I don't think we'll see major improvements on speed. Ask Eriksson Ek if he thinks slappers should come in harder from guys like Weber.

Whether or not it's a good thing is a separate issue, though. There's financial incentive for companies to create better sticks, there's a performance incentive for players to shoot hard- just because it's not good having guys go down to blocked shot injuries doesn't mean there aren't reasons why players are shooting harder now than they were 10 years ago.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
This isnt comparable because the puck was moving towards him. Just wanted to post it because it's sexy.

Can we just change this to a sexy slapshots thread instead? Not many players can get the same angular velocity as Chara, so I'm gonna go with no.

Reactions: Conbon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad