Cam Talbot vs Matt Murray

Which goalie would you rather have on your team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
For me this is Matt Murray easily, proven track record of winning and getting hot at the right time. Talbot is proven mediocrity which we've already had

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
Well Cam Talbot wasn't born with glass bones and paper skin. He doesn't break his legs every morning, nor does he break his arms every afternoon. He also doesn't lie awake at night in agony until his heart attacks put him to sleep.

So I'd take Cam Talbot.
Most underrated post on this site rn

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
For me this is Matt Murray easily, proven track record of winning and getting hot at the right time. Talbot is proven mediocrity which we've already had

People forget the last 2 times Murray was in the playoffs, he got swept by the Islanders and Canadiens.

The last time Murray was a starter that didn't get swept in round 1, was the same year Claude Giroux finished runner-up to the art Ross... 2017-18. Murray's played 142 NHL games since then. lol

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Not sure about that. I’m a Flyers fan and I saw just how bad Talbot can be. He had a .881 sv% and 3.70 gaa with us.

I'm a Flyers fan (as well as Sens and Oilers) and I dont even remember him playing there. I had to look it up and it was just 4 games. lol

Good point either wat. Just took me by surprise.

Evergreen

I'm a Flyers fan (as well as Sens and Oilers) and I dont even remember him playing there. I had to look it up and it was just 4 games. lol

Good point either wat. Just took me by surprise.
Small sample size with the Flyers for sure, but he had a .892 over 35 games that year. I think the floors for these goalies in terms of pure performance is similar. Murray has the injury risk, tho.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Small sample size with the Flyers for sure, but he had a .892 over 35 games that year. I think the floors for these goalies in terms of pure performance is similar. Murray has the injury risk, tho.

My POV is I'd rather have the mediocre but healthy backup than the consistently injured inconsistent starter.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It’s kind of a weird poll as one guy was brought in to platoon or be the back-up on an aspiring playoff team and the other was brought in to start for a team that is desperate for a deep run.

Murray just seems like a lot of risk for that scenario.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
For the Leafs I think Murray is the better choice. If he can somehow magically have his first ever healthy season he is a better goalie then Talbot. That being said Talbot is a whole lot more likely to be available to play every night.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Leafs and Senators are in totally different stages right now. Toronto is in a win now mode while Ottawa is just looking to take a step and compete for the playoffs. I also understand that they have some promising goalie prospects.
From that view, Talbot meets Ottawa’s needs much better than Murray meets Toronto’s, even if both goalies are in the same tier and healthy. Then there’s Murray’s inability to stay healthy which makes him even less ideal for a team looking to win it all.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Leafs and Senators are in totally different stages right now. Toronto is in a win now mode while Ottawa is just looking to take a step and compete for the playoffs. I also understand that they have some promising goalie prospects.
From that view, Talbot meets Ottawa’s needs much better than Murray meets Toronto’s, even if both goalies are in the same tier and healthy. Then there’s Murray’s inability to stay healthy which makes him even less ideal for a team looking to win it all.
Are you suggesting that a team in win-now mode should be taking on an oft-injured reclamation project, while the rebuilding team should take the ageing veteran who's a stable presence?

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
A year or two ago, behind their respective teams, I would have said Murray behind the Leafs. But Sens have put together a pretty good team. If they can play fairly well in front of Talbot, it should be him.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'll say this. Murray has the potential to be much better but it's just as likely he's going to be a disaster. His season could legitimately go anywhere.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I imagine if they did you and many others would probably vote Murray. Wild guess.....
Murray has been overrated since his rookie season. Some alleged he'd be a Hall of Famer but in reality Pittsburgh played a phenomenal system with a fantastic coach and some extremely high end players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad