Cam Talbot vs Matt Murray

Which goalie would you rather have on your team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
1657672465874.png

VS

1657672499410.png

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Well Cam Talbot wasn't born with glass bones and paper skin. He doesn't break his legs every morning, nor does he break his arms every afternoon. He also doesn't lie awake at night in agony until his heart attacks put him to sleep.

So I'd take Cam Talbot.

Reactions: Fledgemyhedge

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If Murray didn't become so injury-prone, it would have been him easily but he has literally been the most injury-prone NHL player in the last 5+ years... it's crazy that he still gets cleared to play (particularly with several concussions)

So this isn't new, look what was said in there :

The biggest question coming into the 2017-18 season about Matt Murray had to do with his ability to stay healthy.

5 years later and it's still the same question

In that article, it also shows that between 2015-16 and 2017-18, Cam Talbot only had 1 injury while Murray had 7

Murray can still be good when healthy (and has been for stretches in Ottawa), but it doesn't happen nearly enough. This is why it is a gigantic gamble by Dubas. He is gambling on Murray staying relatively healthy for the next 2 seasons.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
With goalies you never really know, aside from the truly elite.

I voted Talbot but I wouldn't be shocked if the opposite occurred.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Talbot has a better career SV% - has been better the past 3 seasons - has been better last season.

Both goaltenders have played in a limited amount of games lately due to injuries though (I think?). So, no win on either side.

Talbot has a lower AAV and 1 year instead of 2.

It's Talbot pretty significantly.

Only thing Murray has currently is that he's like, 7 years younger. But both goalies are quick fix solutions and not long term ones.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I’m this case of non-elite around average goaltenders, you take the goalie with the lower cap hit. So Talbot.

That doesn’t really say anything about who’s better though. They both can lose a game and win a game on their own. Only difference being the cap hit.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
This will be interesting to re-visit 40 ish games into the season, makes sense Talbot is winning right now he does have a better track record over the last 2-3 years. I think you'll see Murrays numbers jump up quite a bit, going from the Sens to Leafs and Talbots come down coming to Ottawa. They're going to be a good team this year, I predict they make a WC spot but the D still has a lot of holes.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
The main reason I picked Talbot is that he will be playing. While Murray can still play well at times, he's had 4 concussions in 4 years, very bad news for a goalie.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don’t know who Dubas will get to backup Murray, but that guy might end up being the starter. Is there that potential for Talbot losing his starting job to the backup? For me Talbot is the guy I’d rather on my team.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
This will be interesting to re-visit 40 ish games into the season, makes sense Talbot is winning right now he does have a better track record over the last 2-3 years. I think you'll see Murrays numbers jump up quite a bit, going from the Sens to Leafs and Talbots come down coming to Ottawa. They're going to be a good team this year, I predict they make a WC spot but the D still has a lot of holes.

I think you're confused about the difference in save percentage between Ottawa and Toronto.

For example, last year Toronto had a .900SV% while Ottawa had a .904SV%

So I'm curious as to why you think the opposite will happen when Ottawas improved their goaltending and Toronto hasn't...and Ottawa already had the better sv% to begin with.

Unless you're talking about GAA or W-L

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Matt Murray. He was fantastic in the two cup runs - I think he's still young enough that he can bounce back. Higher upside/ceiling than Talbot

That being said - I think Murray is the wrong call for Toronto. The last thing they should be doing is taking such a big gamble on a goalie. Murray is high risk/high reward. What Toronto needs is the exact opposite - reliability and consistency. They don't need a goalie to win a series or cup for them - they just need a solid reliable goalie so that their offense can win for them.

So - there's a chance it works out in Toronto, but I don't think it's the right fit.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Well, the timing to evaluate "team holes" and such is certainly not now... as the offseason is far from over.

Results is this poll are 80-15 for Talbot but I'm kinda predicting that Murray will have better numbers next season. The question though is about injuries and when. The risk is heavy with Murray in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad