Calling out Ovi

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
This happens every year. During the season he scores alot of goals...people start saying hes better than Crosby again. Playoffs start...threads like this.

Rinse..repeat.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Every year threads start like this. He usually gets hot in the 3rd round.

20130513_lbm_sb4_149.0.jpg

Reactions: Cellee

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I have to say that was a very poor game for him. Almost every time the puck came near his stick he bobbled it

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I have to say that was a very poor game for him. Almost every time the puck came near his stick he bobbled it
His puck handling is garbage. Why can't he work on it and get to at least Giroux's level?

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Prestigious veterans like Ovi don't need to try so hard in the first rounds, they conserve their energy for the meaningful rounds. If the rest of the team is too bad to make it past the early play-offs that's their problem

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
The problem was never and will probably never be Ovie. He's the franchise player and a generational talent. The problem will always be his supporting cast.

This analysis is too black and white. Yes, of course supporting cast matters, a lot, but Ovi’s own game matters too. It’s a combination of both him and his supporting cast. Ovi simply isn’t the dynamic force/player he was in 2007–2010, when he also had great individual showings in the playoffs. He just isn’t.

As a (highly effective) franchise winger you need to be dynamic and make plays/force plays yourself to push your team far in the playoffs. See Bure in 94, or to a lesser extent Iginla in 04, or even Kucherov now. Or Panarin’s OT winning goal. Ovi these days is a static triggerman.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I did not see the game but Ovi is always very good in the playoffs but even he is going to have off games.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I have a feeling if they lose in the first round, and or get swept. there are going to be big changes. The feeling in dc is that this era is coming to an end, and end that was wildly unsuccessful

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Bulls*it about individuals here getting out of hand. Its not about winning a game all by himself although Panarin did just that. Its about how Ovechkin played the game. He wouldn't make it to the KHL with what he showed last night.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Ill reiterate what i wrote in the other thread. Hes a choke artist. Hes made choking into an art.

He doesn't disappear in the playoffs. He chokes. He shows up when the going is easy - like when the Caps are flying high and the crowd is roaring at the Verizon Center. When those regular season games against opponents like Buffalo or Carolina are still fresh in the mind. Hes there to bury those soft passes with his big one timer, and then beat about like King Kong. He makes the big hits early in the series when its easy and his legs are fresh.

What gets lost in the theatrics and average point totals are the cold hard truths. His team is always favored. They always have home ice advantage. And he never gets by the second round. And when you take a microscope to see as to why - you start to see the trends. OV just doesn't deliver in the clutch. Whether its OT, game seven, or any other critical series moment - hes not there. More often then not hes making the turnover that helps the opponent win. 1 time, 2 times, 3 times.. thats ok. Your Joe Thorton. You can still turn it around and make amends. But 9 times? That is legendary territory there.

What you'll never see is Alex Ovechkin, in the finals, fighting multiple nagging injuries along with severe fatigue, battling and scratching to score goals in new ways to help his team win the cup. Just isn't in his DNA as a hockey player. Sorry. He scores the big one timer in the regular season, creates this false belief that he belongs on a pedestal with Wayne, Mario, and Sidney, and then never closes the deal.

TeeTee

Apr 20, 2016
4 SOGs, 2 hits, even.. Not a great game, but definitely nothing to start a hate thread about.

I think this is where stats become misleading. I watched the game last night and had the same opinion as the first post. Ovi was invisible for long stretches. Totally uninspired.

vshun

Sep 21, 2016
If true (by the way people talk about him) McDavid should have 2 Cups by now.

TIn 2013, the Pens were the absolute favorites to win the cup, went out and made all those all-in trades, and we got swept by Boston. .
What favorites, by who, a few biased fans maybe? Blackhawsk were dominant in 2013 whole season and in playoffs and talent wise on the roster that year.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I have a feeling if they lose in the first round, and or get swept. there are going to be big changes. The feeling in dc is that this era is coming to an end, and end that was wildly unsuccessful

They've already made big changes though, unless you are talking about Ovechkin and Backstrom, almost everything else has changed over the years.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
This is going to be a funny thread in retrospect when he scores 2 or 3 goals in game 2.

Not like most of the Caps showed up anyway.
No, hockey isn’t a sport won by individuals but if you say that most of the Caps didn’t show up anyway, what is OV’s role as captain and leader?

Shouldn’t he have his team mates ready for battle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad