Called Up From Junior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narg

Dec 5, 2004
Can an NHL team call-up a player from junior?

Eg, Canucks prospect Luc Bourdon..

If he starts the season in the Q, are the Canucks allowed to call him up at all during the season, or is he locked into the Q for the whole season?

Flames Will

Aug 2, 2005
only under certain circumstances

I am assuming with this comment that this rule is the same as under the old CBA - and that is the player must have signed a professional contract with his team first, and then if he has been sent down to the minors, then he can only be recalled by his NHL club if either his Junior team is out of the playoffs or if the NHL team has a legitmate emergency need to call the player up as a fill in on their roster.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Flames Will said:
I am assuming with this comment that this rule is the same as under the old CBA - and that is the player must have signed a professional contract with his team first, and then if he has been sent down to the minors, then he can only be recalled by his NHL club if either his Junior team is out of the playoffs or if the NHL team has a legitmate emergency need to call the player up as a fill in on their roster.

Yes and No.

An 18 or 19 yo player with junior eligibility left can only play in the NHL or be returned to his junior team - he cannot be assigned to the AHL or other NHL affiliated leagues. If he is returned to the junior team, he cannot be recalled to the NHL team until after his junior team's season and playoffs are over. At that point, he can be recalled to the NHL team or assigned to the AHL.

Emergency callups can not be made from Juniors. They can only be made from NHL affiliated leagues - AHL and ECHL.

NewGuy

Jun 29, 2002
kdb209 said:
Yes and No.

An 18 or 19 yo player with junior eligibility left can only play in the NHL or be returned to his junior team - he cannot be assigned to the AHL or other NHL affiliated leagues. If he is returned to the junior team, he cannot be recalled to the NHL team until after his junior team's season and playoffs are over. At that point, he can be recalled to the NHL team or assigned to the AHL.

Emergency callups can not be made from Juniors. They can only be made from NHL affiliated leagues - AHL and ECHL.
Does this apply to goalies as well?

In 2001 Montreal made goalie Olivier Michaud (18 years old at the time and playing for the Shawinigan Cataractes) an emergency callup after both Jeff Hackett and Jose Theodore were injured. Michaud backed up Mathieu Garon for a few games and played against Edmonton after Garon was pulled.

Flames Will

Aug 2, 2005
emergency call ups

It is my understanding that you have to be able to prove the emergency - for example if you are without goalies in your system you have every right to call up the junior - I remember it happening twice that I remember.

In 1998 Volkov was recalled to LA kings as an emergency call up "Volkov, who spent part of last week with the Los Angeles Kings on an emergency call up" http://slam.canoe.ca/CHLNews9600/oct27_notebook.html

Josh Harding also was used as an emergency call up by Minnesota on January 30, 2003 - sorry, the link I have on this is not working. This is the only link I could find with any information on it - http://www.prosportsplayertv.com/hockey/Washington/html/Owen Fussey.htm

These are the only two that I recall occuring - both were after their respective goalie had been sent down to the juniors already and the team was decimated of goaltenders and they did not have any in the AHL either so had to revert to theri signed prospects in the CHL.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
only way you can call him up is an emergency situation where you don't have 6 healthy dmen between the nhl, ahl and echl combined, then they could call him up to fill a spot...and what are the chances of that happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad