Calle Jarnkrok - The Enigma

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
But to be realistic, he's not the guy carrying his mates (and never will be) and bets you could put out anyone from Nystrom to Watson with Ryan and Neil and presto - they'd look way better than they are. At least sometimes.

And I would counter-wager that the "way better" for Nystrom would be considerably worse than the "way better" we're getting from Jarnkrok. Some guys improve somewhat around such skilled folks, and some guys take off and thrive. Dunno which Jarnkrok is at this point, but what we've seen so far has been really encouraging.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
So let me put it this way - Jarnkrok benefits more from playing with Ryan & Neil than they will ever benefit playing with Jarnkrok. I wouldn't call him an outright coattail rider cuz the kid is always trying hard, not gliding around trying to snag easy points. But um, well um, yeah, nope, he's not gonna make Ryan or Neil better and frankly I do suspect that if were Nystrom was plugged down as the LW with that duet then it'd be Nystrom looking pretty fine at the moment.

He may be benefiting from his linemates but when Fisher, Ribeiro, & Forsberg were in that same slot they didn't produce the way Jarnkrok has. Calle being in the 1LW position just works and I would say it has caused Forsberg to become dangerous on the 2nd due to more focus now being placed on the first line.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Jarnkrok is Jarnkrok; another smallish guy who is only in the NHL because he's got a slew of heart and who, if not for a lack of actual offensive talent available, would be left to scrounge for minutes in the bottom 6. Because that's where smallish guys with a heart to compensate for actual talent end up scrounging to remain relevant.

But hey, if people think he's magically turned some sort of corner himself merely because he's currently benefiting from riding with two top tier offensive forwards, okay. No prob. We can put off having a rational conversation about the kid to the next lineup shuffle - or worse, to next season when the Preds are stuck with another inflated $4m contract for a 3rd liner who happened to look good for a stretch during his contract year.

Truly, I love the kid's heart 'n gumption. But he's not all that's he's currently being cracked up to be and accepting that doesn't equate to hating the kid - it's about being practical. Preds need at least one more legit top 6 guy. Jarnkrok isn't it.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Jarnkrok is Jarnkrok; another smallish guy who is only in the NHL because he's got a slew of heart and who, if not for a lack of actual offensive talent available, would be left to scrounge for minutes in the bottom 6. Because that's where smallish guys with a heart to compensate for actual talent end up scrounging to remain relevant.

But hey, if people think he's magically turned some sort of corner himself merely because he's currently benefiting from riding with two top tier offensive forwards, okay. No prob. We can put off having a rational conversation about the kid to the next lineup shuffle - or worse, to next season when the Preds are stuck with another inflated $4m contract for a 3rd liner who happened to look good for a stretch during his contract year.

Truly, I love the kid's heart 'n gumption. But he's not all that's he's currently being cracked up to be and accepting that doesn't equate to hating the kid - it's about being practical. Preds need at least one more legit top 6 guy. Jarnkrok isn't it.

And no one is really disagreeing with that, but right now he is getting the job done. Smith and Wilson you can bash right now because they aren't producing, as far as I'm concerned right now people need to lay the hell off Jarnkrok for a bit. Let the kid play, be happy he is actually doing something offensively for once.

I swear even when a guy is playing pretty well yall can't let people just sit back an enjoy it. :rant:

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
There are two sides to this discussion and then there's the truth in the middle.

Yes, he's producing now. Small sample size.

Flip side there are detractors who are concerned because of guess what, the small sample size. He hasn't shown he can do this long term or for long stretches, much like Wilson and Smith yet their sample size is bigger and we know what they are and aren't capable of.

When Calle got here he produced on a team riddled with injuries and getting top 6 time while the team played relaxed because they had nothing to play for.

While I'm happy he's been putting up numbers the last few games I'm also cautiously optimistic about his long term prognosis. Lots of guys go through hot stretches. It's wonderful to see. Just want to see it done long term before I start doing cartwheels.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
There are two sides to this discussion and then there's the truth in the middle.

Yes, he's producing now. Small sample size.

Flip side there are detractors who are concerned because of guess what, the small sample size. He hasn't shown he can do this long term or for long stretches, much like Wilson and Smith yet their sample size is bigger and we know what they are and aren't capable of.

When Calle got here he produced on a team riddled with injuries and getting top 6 time while the team played relaxed because they had nothing to play for.

While I'm happy he's been putting up numbers the last few games I'm also cautiously optimistic about his long term prognosis. Lots of guys go through hot stretches. It's wonderful to see. Just want to see it done long term before I start doing cartwheels.

Hard to be consistent if constantly being shuffled up and down the lines. Hope Lavy sticks with a line up for long enough for it to develop chemistry, not look for instant plug-in miraculous result.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

Disagree.

He's in the NHL because he has a high hockey IQ and a great base of skill to go with it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1582749-calle-jarnkrok-the-next-detroit-red-wing-you-need-to-know

He is a highly skilled player who plays strong both ways. He has a tendency to be more of a set up player than a goal scorer but he is capable of scoring as well. Red Wings scout Ari Vuori compared him to Henrik Zetterberg adding that ““He wants to have the puck, he wants to hold onto the puck all the time, he makes plays (for his linemates) and he knows how to score himself.”

http://www.jacketscannon.com/2010/5/30/1493880/draft-prospect-profile-22-calle

eneral Manager Ken Holland is high on Jarnkrok saying that “He's a very good prospect, he's just got to get stronger. He's competitive, both offensively and defensively. He has good hands, hockey sense.''

Jarnkrok has seen his stock progressively rise this season after having a smooth transition to Brynas' Eliserien squad. He's very slight, which is a concern that scouts will have to assess, but his offensive skills are undeniable. He's one of the better playmakers in the draft, and has received high praise from many in Sweden. Like Bennett, he could even sneak up a bit higher in the draft depending on the team.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=708239

According to Bob Duff of the Windsor Star, Detroit’s Development Coach Jiri Fischer had this to say about Jarnkrok’s potential just last month.

“He’s certainly one of our most talented, if not the most talented prospect,” Fischer said. “Not to take anything away from others like Anthony Mantha, but Calle, the stuff he can do – he is as good as anybody in terms of hand-eye coordination and skill in tight places.

“He makes plays and it’s just a matter of time until he really starts putting up big numbers.”

Last April, Ansar Khan of MLive.com caught up with former Red Wing’s captain and current Red Wing’s European scout Nicklas Lidstrom, and Wings defenseman Jonathan Ericsson to talk about Jarnkrok.

“He's a very shifty guy, he's quick, he's got quick hands, he sees the ice very well,'' Lidstrom said. “He's got real good hockey sense. He needs to get stronger and get used to playing on this ice surface, but he's got a lot of potential.''

Many have likened Jarnkrok's style to current Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg.

“You do see a lot of similarities to how Hank plays,'' Lidstrom said. “He's got that ability to hang onto the puck and not throw it away unless he has to. He can hold off guys and make that play when there's an opening and wait for that opening, too.

“I think he's ready for the next level and see how quick he can adapt to playing on smaller rinks with faster guys.''

So this crap about his talent level is just that, crap. The guy has talent. He needs to be stronger but no one needs to be questioning his talent.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Disagree.

He's in the NHL because he has a high hockey IQ and a great base of skill to go with it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1582749-calle-jarnkrok-the-next-detroit-red-wing-you-need-to-know

http://www.jacketscannon.com/2010/5/30/1493880/draft-prospect-profile-22-calle

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=708239

So this crap about his talent level is just that, crap. The guy has talent. He needs to be stronger but no one needs to be questioning his talent.

All of this is nice, but it's not like the Wings are going to trash their own prospect...

Jarnkrok has three things that prohibit him from being a great second line forward

1. upper body strength
2. quick, accurate release with his wristshot (something he has improved this year
3. Willingness to go to the hard areas

Jarnkrok's strengths
1. Great defensive awareness
2. Good playmaking abilities
3. Ability to open himself up in the offensive zone (even if he doesn't convert on his chance

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
All of this is nice, but it's not like the Wings are going to trash their own prospect...

Jarnkrok has three things that prohibit him from being a great second line forward

1. upper body strength
2. quick, accurate release with his wristshot (something he has improved this year

Jarnkrok's strengths
3. Ability to open himself up in the offensive zone (even if he doesn't convert on his chance

I'll disagree with him not going to the hard areas. Even despite his build, he's consistently in front of the net.

His weaknesses are his strength and his slower release. He's got quick hands, good agility, and playmaking ability.

My point was Mike was selling him as this guy wasn't a skilled player, which I disagree with. He's not strong but he's got skill. He didn't make it in the NHL on hard work alone, he made it on his skill and IQ.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville

1. upper body strength

Jarnkrok's strengths

I'll give you the first 2 drawbacks, but #3 might not be so accurate. It's been more consistent the last couple weeks, but really been probably around first of Dec that he clearly changed mindset - more time in the slot, going to the crease, chasing more pucks in the corners. The other 2 points limit his contributions here, but you have to give the guy credit for willingness - and smarts - to see what we need and try to contribute there.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I'll give you the first 2 drawbacks, but #3 might not be so accurate. It's been more consistent the last couple weeks, but really been probably around first of Dec that he clearly changed mindset - more time in the slot, going to the crease, chasing more pucks in the corners. The other 2 points limit his contributions here, but you have to give the guy credit for willingness - and smarts - to see what we need and try to contribute there.

This I will agree with.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Actually he has always been pretty good at getting himself into open places for chances, he just hasn't converted. Last season he pretty much had at least one chance every game where he was point blank in the slot alone, his slow release just kept him from converting. Its the main reason we noticed his slow release to begin with because goalies kept being able to get back across and make the save pretty easily.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Didn't Johansen say something along the lines of that Ironhook was the smartest player he's played with and that he liked having him on his line?

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
The positioning is great. The offensive instincts are above average. His skating and stickhandling are decent. His shot is okay, but it is really enhanced by his positioning and instincts.

The problem with Calle is he is not strong, and he is passive overall in his game (likely due to strength).

Still, he is a really good player. He has taken another step forward this year. Honestly, if Jarnkrok had the strength thing figured out/slightly more aggressive as an overall player, he would be talked about more as a legitimate first line forward, rather than a tweener or 3rd line+ player.

Last edited:

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
The positioning is great. The offensive instincts are above average. His skating and stickhandling are above average. His shot is okay, but it is really enhanced by his positioning and instincts.

The problem with Calle is he is not strong, and he is passive overall in his game (likely due to strength).

Still, he is a really good player. He has taken another step forward this year. Honestly, if Jarnkrok had the strength thing figured out/slightly more aggressive as an overall player, he would be talked about more as a legitimate first line forward, rather than a tweener or 3rd line+ player.

To be blunt, his shot is below average. Everything else I agree with.

One thing he could work on his ability to make decisions quicker while passing. Sometimes I think he thinks too much.

I am not a fan of him being on the top line, but he has been vastly better than Wilson/Arvidsson this year so it's hard not to argue he is a top 6 forward at this point.

In reality though, he has a long way to go to becoming a top 6 forward on a Stanley Cup contending team.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
In regards to Jarnkrok's shot, he has a pretty accurate shot with a decent amount of stank on it but his release is below average which in turn hurts his shot because the goalie has time to react and get in to position. If he can get his shot off just a split second sooner, he would be pretty effective with his shot.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Improved much during the course of the season but still I don't like seeing him in the top line. For this team, he's a perfect 3rd liner. Very good defensively, can chip in offensively from time to time. I'd sign him for 2yr deal in the summer.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
In regards to Jarnkrok's shot, he has a pretty accurate shot with a decent amount of stank on it but his release is below average which in turn hurts his shot because the goalie has time to react and get in to position. If he can get his shot off just a split second sooner, he would be pretty effective with his shot.

Bingo, which makes his shot below average.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I think what we all said last summer still holds true now. The only thing holding him back from being a really solid player is that he needs to get stronger and work on his release. He'll never be huge but if he can increase his core strength it will help him tremendously.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Is Iron starting to come into his own, or do some of you still think he's just a passenger on that line?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think most would say he is still a passenger, but I think he is starting to figure it out. Really he only has two major flaws, quickness of his release and his strength. The release appears to be getting better and strength is something you can work on somewhat as well.

I think he has bought himself another year tbh.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Is Iron starting to come into his own, or do some of you still think he's just a passenger on that line?

Well, he's getting there and the coaches say that he's a perfect complement for Joey and Neal. I think he's alright there, he's great defensively and all but his offensive senses could be a better.

Ideally, he's a perfect 3rd liner in this league, very sound defensively and can chip offensively. He's getting better and better offensively and his release has gotten much better over the course of the season. His skating has also improved.

So, to answer your question, no I don't think he's a complete passenger in that line he fills that role okay, but an upgrade on his spot, to push him down to the 3rd line where he's at best, would be needed if we want to make some noise in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad