Calle Jarnkrok - The Enigma

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
What was the old thread on the NP board--"Our Whipping Boy...<insert name here>" ?

I remember one dreadful day when we had to put Tomas Vokoun and rag on him. Turned that boy around though.

Whatever it takes. Tough Love.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
If the Weber Hatty is squandered I feel sorry for the rest of the team.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
He's swiftly becoming at worst a marginally solid 2C. The more ice time, the more exposure to non-even strength situations, the better he has gotten. Still a steal of a trade (Hell, Legwand for a door stop would have been a steal of a trade.)

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Have only watched 3 whole games of Nashville this season and in one of them Iron was a healthy scratch.

What I saw last game really impressed me. Hardworking, 2-way playing, confident crisp passes, looked speedy, which has been a big drawback earlier.

Confidence means so much. Sadly he'll lose his spot, centering the second line, as soon as the team is fully healthy again.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Have only watched 3 whole games of Nashville this season and in one of them Iron was a healthy scratch.

What I saw last game really impressed me. Hardworking, 2-way playing, confident crisp passes, looked speedy, which has been a big drawback earlier.

Confidence means so much. Sadly he'll lose his spot, centering the second line, as soon as the team is fully healthy again.

He has not been a healthy scratch this year. He was sick for a game or two but other than that he's played every game he could

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Looking pretty good lately, huh?

Personally I really like the kid's heart, the gumption of which doesn't appear to change no matter where he's plugged.

But to be realistic, he's not the guy carrying his mates (and never will be) and bets you could put out anyone from Nystrom to Watson with Ryan and Neil and presto - they'd look way better than they are. At least sometimes.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Afraid his lack of size will result in an injury, but he is sure not scared to go anywhere. Always liked his PK positioning and he is in the slot or blocking the goalie's vision on offence.

I wish the kid well and hope he keeps proving his detractors wrong. I don't usually have an avatar, but he inspired me to have one.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Personally I really like the kid's heart, the gumption of which doesn't appear to change no matter where he's plugged.

But to be realistic, he's not the guy carrying his mates (and never will be) and bets you could put out anyone from Nystrom to Watson with Ryan and Neil and presto - they'd look way better than they are. At least sometimes.

Ovechkin doesn't carry his linemates, neither do Benn or Stamkos.

I don't see why this is relevant. Isn't the point to contribute to the line and to the team as a whole?

Very few players can carry their linemates in this league.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Afraid his lack of size will result in an injury, but he is sure not scared to go anywhere. Always liked his PK positioning and he is in the slot or blocking the goalie's vision on offence.

I wish the kid well and hope he keeps proving his detractors wrong. I don't usually have an avatar, but he inspired me to have one.

Yeah, that's part of what I put down to his heart - kid is gonna plug ahead with gumption every shift.

Swell avatar too :laugh:

Ovechkin doesn't carry his linemates, neither do Benn or Stamkos.

I don't see why this is relevant. Isn't the point to contribute to the line and to the team as a whole?

Very few players can carry their linemates in this league.

You're absolutely correct - very few players can carry their line solo.

So let me put it this way - Jarnkrok benefits more from playing with Ryan & Neil than they will ever benefit playing with Jarnkrok. I wouldn't call him an outright coattail rider cuz the kid is always trying hard, not gliding around trying to snag easy points. But um, well um, yeah, nope, he's not gonna make Ryan or Neil better and frankly I do suspect that if were Nystrom was plugged down as the LW with that duet then it'd be Nystrom looking pretty fine at the moment.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Actually he will make them look better, but not in a flashy way.
The advantage he brings to them is that most of the time he is going to be exactly where he should be, and if you are the guys creating the chances that is a comfort. His proper positioning on both ends allows Neal and Joey to be more creative and take more risks, and if they get themselves in trouble they know exactly where he will be. Yes he is not going to cause them to be 50 goal scorers, but if they aren't giving up as many, and having less turnovers you may not need them to be.

Ovi at one point was putting up huge numbers, but he was also causing lots the other way as well. Sure you would love to have that perfect first line, but right now it ain't broke, so don't screw with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad