Confirmed with Link: Calle Jarnkrok (6 years, $2M AAV)

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
this deal is very odd. I agree with the Forsberg/Ekholm element to it. And believe it is a steal....at 6years?!? kinda crazy.

I'm interested in the signing at 1pm too. Vrbata or Hudler please! but like most said it's probably a depth sign.

EDIT: Where does it say there is another signing to be announced at 1?

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
this deal is very odd. I agree with the Forsberg/Ekholm element to it. And believe it is a steal....at 6years?!? kinda crazy.

I'm interested in the signing at 1pm too. Vrbata or Hudler please! but like most said it's probably a depth sign.

EDIT: Where does it say there is another signing to be announced at 1?

At the bottom of the tweet.

Considering I have what is probably the first Preds Jarnkrok jersey ever purchased, I am thrilled at this signing.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
i find it odd that we'd make an announcement if all we were signing was elliot... good deal for jarnkrok though leaves us with some capspace

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
At the bottom of the tweet.

Considering I have what is probably the first Preds Jarnkrok jersey ever purchased, I am thrilled at this signing.

I have looked at it multiple times and don't see it. I swear I'm not computer illiterate.

btw - i have contacts within the organization that I am friends with. Very credible source. We were just talking about the signing and he told me they'd be announcing something else very soon. I'm trying to get more info from him.

Last edited:

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Fair value for the player with built in long-term stability. Good for both parties. I don't view it as a huge "STEAL", but it is certainly not overpayment. If Jarnkrok's game continues to evolve, it will end up being a steal. If he gets hurt or regresses, this is a palatable deal. Considering what we paid Nystrom, Gaustad, and that FA signing class... this is a huge improvement. Good job DP.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Roman Yoshi will be along in a bit to tell you about why it's a horrible overpayment ;)

Honestly, when they said "long term" with Jarnkrok i worried that meant having to buy UFA years at a higher than desirable term, but even if Jarnkrok gets absolutely no better, this is a good contract. Given that he probably WILL get better, however, this is a steal.

Actually, I won't. The next two season he makes under the 2M I said he was worth with a moderate raise at evens out to 2M, which is the absolute highest I said I would go on him.

That six year term, however, smells of Vegas bait if he has a similar stats and Wilson rebounds a bit. If he doesn't rebound or Jarnkrok surpasses him, Wilson becomes the bait.

All in all, a fine deal for a tweener player. Excellent in that he and Forsberg are friends. Would've liked to use that money elsewhere on a big name free agent or trade, but we didn't and that's OK too. Still have 8M in cap.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I have looked at it multiple times and don't see it. I swear I'm not computer illiterate.

btw - i have contacts within the organization that I am friends with. Very credible source. We were just talking about the signing and he told me they'd be announcing something else very soon. I'm trying to get more info from him.

just got more Intel. It's going to be a free agent defenseman. Just trying to get a little more information.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
On the flip side, if his production ramps up this season I see us probably exposing both Smith and Wilson as this deal is potentially better than either of their's.
Its going to be extremely interesting to see how Smith and Wilson produce this year, I know that. I think their production almost makes up our mind for us.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
this is the kind of deal you make as a player when you aren't sure there will always be a market for your services. Now he has good money guaranteed, and he will be young enough when its done that if he is a much better player he can still cash in, and if he washes out of the league he will have made enough money to live on for the rest of his life.

Its a bit of a shame that there aren't more players who understand that unless you are a superstar, you are generally better off with guaranteed money than hoping for a bigger deal with your next contract

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
just got more Intel. It's going to be a free agent defenseman. Just trying to get a little more information.

Wisniewski?

Actually, I won't. The next two season he makes under the 2M I said he was worth with a moderate raise at evens out to 2M, which is the absolute highest I said I would go on him.

That six year term, however, smells of Vegas bait if he has a similar stats and Wilson rebounds a bit. If he doesn't rebound or Jarnkrok surpasses him, Wilson becomes the bait.

All in all, a fine deal for a tweener player. Excellent in that he and Forsberg are friends. Would've liked to use that money elsewhere on a big name free agent or trade, but we didn't and that's OK too. Still have 8M in cap.

General Fanager has our cap space at 5,5 million after the Jarnkrok and Granberg signings.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The amount is not significant but the the term could well be a problem. It really makes no sense unless Poile plans for him long term in the bottom 6. I do not recall Poile ever giving this term to a bottom 6 guy???? Anyone else???? So we have our 1LW Fiala stays in the AHL. curious move.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
The amount is not significant but the the term could well be a problem. It really makes no sense unless Poile plans for him long term in the bottom 6. I do not recall Poile ever giving this term to a bottom 6 guy???? Anyone else???? So we have our 1LW Fiala stays in the AHL. curious move.

I really do not get this have Fiala stay in the NHL comment. How does this keep him there? This has zero effect on Fiala and we were expecting to re-sign him so there isn't any hit this year in this regard.

And @ 2M, what is wrong with the term? Sure he is a roster spot, but he isn't terrible and the contract runs until he's 30, it's not like we are signing a 34 year old to a 6 year deal. The contract also allows for cap flexibility later on.

FFWRX

Unregistered User
Feb 12, 2007
Greenbrier, TN

Edit. Nevermind.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I really do not get this have Fiala stay in the NHL comment. How does this keep him there? This has zero effect on Fiala and we were expecting to re-sign him so there isn't any hit this year in this regard.

And @ 2M, what is wrong with the term? Sure he is a roster spot, but he isn't terrible and the contract runs until he's 30, it's not like we are signing a 34 year old to a 6 year deal. The contract also allows for cap flexibility later on.

Weeks ago There was a conversation that concluded that the team could possibly support two but not three undersized players. Fiala, Arvidsson, Jarnkrok. Well there ya go.

The issue I see with the term is at some point people will tire of him. And he will become the new Nystrom or Gaustad. I could care less as long as he is not hurting the team he is cheap enough we could hide him in Milwaukee or buy him out if he tanks. but this is a guy that 12 months ago was given a 645k show up or shut up contract for 1 year and now has a 6 year contract. Hes 25 years old under contract til 31 now and the upside to him is pretty much used up. So 2 mil fine no biggie its what Wilson should be on TBH.

Last edited:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Weeks ago There was a conversation that concluded that the team could possibly support two but not three undersized players. Fiala, Arvidsson, Jarnkrok. Well there ya go.

Well first of all you knew that Jarnkrok was coming back and the Coach/GM/Teammates love Jarnkrok, so I don't know why this was even a question. The real question here is does Arvidsson make it? He struggled on his skates all year and was the easiest player in the league to knock to the ice.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Well first of all you knew that Jarnkrok was coming back and the Coach/GM/Teammates love Jarnkrok, so I don't know why this was even a question. The real question here is does Arvidsson make it? He struggled on his skates all year and was the easiest player in the league to knock to the ice.

Well no I did not know Hook was coming back nor did anyone else. And to make a blanket statement like that is foolish. He did not like his QO and filed for arbitration after a redemption contract. You nor I know the situation there. He could be connected at the ******* with Forsberg but that makes no difference in contract negations. But as this contract came out his agent really screwed him. He could well come out and score 25 goals each of the next two years and be under paid and really hate this contract but just as easily he could go back to 10 goals who knows. The team could self destruct Poile and Lavi fired and the next bunch not see Jarnkrok as the hockey genious many do now. Or they could see him as a 1C and move Johanson. Its all about different people working together.

As to Arvidsson I concur I wanted to see what he could do last year and did not like what I saw. He did a good job in the AHL and put up good numbers there but like I have said hundreds of times you can expect less than half the AHL production from most of those guys when they get to the NHL level even less from most. Look at Watson, he does not even deserve to occupy a roster spot IMO but oh well.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

The issue I see with the term is at some point people will tire of him. And he will become the new Nystrom or Gaustad. I could care less as long as he is not hurting the team he is cheap enough we could hide him in Milwaukee or buy him out if he tanks. but this is a guy that 12 months ago was given a 645k show up or shut up contract for 1 year and now has a 6 year contract. Hes 25 years old under contract til 31 now and the upside to him is pretty much used up. So 2 mil fine no biggie its what Wilson should be on TBH.

who had this conversation?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad