Olympics: calgary's big 3 d omitted...

imanania

Mar 23, 2009
Regeher was never going to make it. Never thought too highly of him. Ever time the Canucks played the Flames(been dominating the Flames the past few years) Regehr and Phaneuf would always get owned by the Sedins. Phaneuf played like ***** defensively, last year just horrible, and I don't care if he had a good December or not, he's been good for one month. Regehr is only good for 1 thing, and he can't do it properly, and really J-Bo wasn't doing enough to make the team, but the Doughty inclusion really shocked me because I thought it would be Green, and it shoudl've been.

Anyways, I think J-Bo made a mistake when signing with the Flames. They are horrible defensively even with a new coach, and wanting to come to the West Coast, he should've chose the Canucks because we are a defensive minded team and he probably would've made Team Canada since we are having such a good December and he would've been in the middle of it. Would've fit on the team like a glove, very similar player to Salo who's always injured. Too bad eh, wish we could've signed him, from what I've seen he can be a difference maker in the right circumstances, and having Luongo on Team Canada would've given him more consideration with that whole "chemistry" ordeal.

Codes

Jul 7, 2009
The Flames are 6th in goals against. That's hardly "terrible defensively".

Do people think before the post?
:help:

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Anyways, I think J-Bo made a mistake when signing with the Flames. They are horrible defensively even with a new coach, and wanting to come to the West Coast, he should've chose the Canucks because we are a defensive minded team and he probably would've made Team Canada since we are having such a good December and he would've been in the middle of it.

Your ignorance is showing. As Codes mentioned, the Flames are 6th in goals against. We've been pretty good defensivley under Sutter. His goal was to be a top-5 team defensivley this season and we're pretty close to that.

Do people think before the post?

Reputations tend to stick around these parts.

Meganuck*

People shouldnt confuse "Goals Against" with defensive errors. Kipper has saved the D's bacon plenty of times this season.

Meganuck*

Anyone who says Phaneuf's defence is terrible or even mediocre is just stuck in '08 or a bitter Oilers/Nucks fan.

Honestly, I was all for getting rid of him last season but he's improved drastically over the last month, arguably been better than Bouwmeester.

None of the Flames big 3 are overrated, all would likely be in Canada B team's top 4, not many teams have more than 1.

You're right. He was awesome covering Raymond on that goal where he blew by him and tipped in that goal. Great defensive effort there. Always out of position. 3 yrs ago, I thought the Flames had a gem.

Now, I'm happy he's on the Flames. Him and Regehr.

If the Flames didnt have Bouwmeester, they would be dead in the water.

feff

Feb 17, 2003
Tokyo
Visit site
That hit was as bad or worse than Denis Gauthier's on Marleau last season and is worthy of at least a couple game suspension. You don't hit a player stretched out for an icing call.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6do6VTbEqeU

Except it wasn't an icing call. It had been waved off, and there was mutual contact before Phaneuf delivered him into the boards. But then again, he sucks and he's overrated. I know....

feff

Feb 17, 2003
Tokyo
Visit site
You're right. He was awesome covering Raymond on that goal where he blew by him and tipped in that goal. Great defensive effort there. Always out of position. 3 yrs ago, I thought the Flames had a gem.

And using that same logic, if Doughty didn't get his ass handed to him to by J-Bo tonight, the Kings wouldn't have lost tonight's game (maybe). Playing this game is fun!!

feff

Feb 17, 2003
Tokyo
Visit site
Regeher was never going to make it. Never thought too highly of him. Ever time the Canucks played the Flames(been dominating the Flames the past few years) Regehr and Phaneuf would always get owned by the Sedins. Phaneuf played like ***** defensively, last year just horrible, and I don't care if he had a good December or not, he's been good for one month. Regehr is only good for 1 thing, and he can't do it properly, and really J-Bo wasn't doing enough to make the team, but the Doughty inclusion really shocked me because I thought it would be Green, and it shoudl've been.

Anyways, I think J-Bo made a mistake when signing with the Flames. They are horrible defensively even with a new coach, and wanting to come to the West Coast, he should've chose the Canucks because we are a defensive minded team and he probably would've made Team Canada since we are having such a good December and he would've been in the middle of it. Would've fit on the team like a glove, very similar player to Salo who's always injured. Too bad eh, wish we could've signed him, from what I've seen he can be a difference maker in the right circumstances, and having Luongo on Team Canada would've given him more consideration with that whole "chemistry" ordeal.

I thought I'd go through each one of your fantasy points:
> Flames have lost to you only once this season. We've won twice.
> Flames are 3rd in the West in GA.
> I don't think a two week window would have determined this. What's going to happen when once of those selected to the team slumps in a similar fashion in January.

Go back and play with your lego.

flames123

Oct 21, 2009
Kelowna
The uninformed people in this thread is disgusting. Phaneuf is not over rated any more than several other players, one oof which happened to make team Canada. Regehr is not having a bad "year" as someone said, he is having a bad december: a December that he was turned around for him self. Bouwmeester can be scrutinized all you want for not being an offensive power house all you want. But in the end all that matters for the top six defensemen is that they can make a first pass out of the zone and skate well, Bouwmeester can out skate everyone on the team IMO. Obviously Bo bring very good defense.

flames123

Oct 21, 2009
Kelowna

The one thing I hate about the main board is **** heads like you can openly troll. If you cared to watch before you talk you would notice that Phaneuf has been the best Flames defender this month as Bo and Regehr have had bad months.

Last edited:

chopkins

Super Bowl Champs
Aug 7, 2009
Vancouver
It looks like Yzerman went with defencemen who are solid defensively while still being able to put up points.

1. Regehr can't put up points.
2. Phaneuf isn't terrific defensively. I find his situation similar to Green's.
3. Bouwmeester had the only realistic chance to make the team, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was close to becoming #7.

I'm not surprised that the big 3 Flames were left off. When the majority of Flames fans are praising Kiprusoff for stealing games, you know there's something wrong with the defence.

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
Regehr had no business on the 06 team and he had no business making this team. Bouwmeester is a questionable call, definitely the 8th or 9th spot. Phaneuf would also have been a fine pick but I think Weber has his spot at the "big shot, big hitter, good all around" guy, which is a fine choice to make.

Funny... he was chosen as a top 10 defenseman in the NHL continually for several years around then according to these boards.

robbyrock*

The only time I find these players over rated is in the silly trade proposals section.Its not thier actual play but rather the amount of hype especially for regehr.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
People shouldnt confuse "Goals Against" with defensive errors. Kipper has saved the D's bacon plenty of times this season.

So why couldn't Kiprusoff save them last year? Because last year, they routinely hung him out to dry. No question Kiprusoff's been great this year but the defense and helps out Kipper and that play reciprocates. That's what all good defensive team have; goaltenders and defense in sync. When the Flames play poor defensivley, Kipper falters. Anyone can see it in our games against Chicago and even the Monday game versus the Canucks.

Reasoned Opinion

May 21, 2009
Logic Land
So why couldn't Kiprusoff save them last year? Because last year, they routinely hung him out to dry. No question Kiprusoff's been great this year but the defense and helps out Kipper and that play reciprocates. That's what all good defensive team have; goaltenders and defense in sync. When the Flames play poor defensivley, Kipper falters. Anyone can see it in our games against Chicago and even the Monday game versus the Canucks.

Insightful post. The Calgary trap only gets exposed by a couple of teams so far this year. Sutter has his team playing a style that fits having little creative skill up front but decent skill on the back end and a corp of forwards that can play D first in their roles too. Chicago and Vancouver speed exposed the problems in that system in December but Sutter can likely come up with further strategy to fill those gaps too.

Not terribly exciting hockey but when everyone in such a system plays their roles, 2-1 games will be the norm and frustration from the other team will lead to the couple of chances the D-first forwards will need to make a play.

Ticonderoga

For the Watch
Jul 17, 2007
New Westminster
Calgary defense is getting sold short here, not surprised considering the company these thread attract.

However homerism aside on both parts. Yes, Kipper has been playing great but to quote my Oiler friends who said it best " the defense has been forcing team to make shots that Kipper can see/save easily". To say Kipper is the only reason our GA is so down is just plain ignorant or refusing to give credit where it is due.

Also If this team was chosen Dec 1 Jbo would be on the team, it's been the crappy play of December that left him off this squad.

This thread on the most part is nothing but fail.

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Funny... he was chosen as a top 10 defenseman in the NHL continually for several years around then according to these boards.

Yeah, goes to show what these boards know.

Shutdown defensemen are horribly overrated. That doesn't mean I think players like Scott Stevens aren't as good, Stevens was fantastic. I just think as a whole, the concept of shut down defensemen is overrated.

Look at how defensemen are valued. The highest paid "shut down" guy is Komisarek who is the 23rd (tied) highest paid defenseman.

Dedicated defense is nice but it's two way play and offense that apparently helps teams win, according to GMs around the NHL at least.

Caribou Lou

Mar 16, 2008
Cgy AB

You could run through highlights of any player getting beaten, that proves nothing, I'm not saying he's perfect.

Hell Doughty got beat last night in the Flames-Kings game and he can do no wrong according to most people.

Edit: And part of the reason for Kipper's turnaround has definitely been improved defence, the way this team plays in their own zone cannot even be compared to last season.

jabberhockey

Oct 17, 2008
I had to laugh when I saw the Nike "Force Fate" commercial (ft. Gillian Apps, Jarome Iginla, and Dion Phaneuf) play on TSN immediately after Team Canada was announced. It sure seems like Nike was banking on Phaneuf making the Olympic team...whoops!

All this means is that one of the best defensive corps in the NHL will get some much needed rest over the Olympic break. I wouldn't feel slighted in the least if I were a Flames fan. Anyway, Jbo is probably first in line if there is an injury to Team Canada's defense.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
By the way, I love how every single thread that mentions either the Flames or Phaneuf, Canuck fans magically show up to bash.

I don't mean to start a huge fight on this one, but Phaneuf is still a better D than any the Canucks have. Erhoff has been amazing for the Canucks but he still isn't a Phaneuf. I just don't understand how Canuck fans can bash when they don't have anything better.

Last time I checked, none of the Canucks defensemen were likely to make Team Canada.

No kidding. I seriously think it is impossible for them to stay out of threads dealing with the Flames. They see it, and they flock magnetically almost. It's a really interesting phenomena. :laugh:

Funny how with our terrible defencemen, we're still the better team.

All 3 are above average Dmen. JBo could have easily made it, and would be the next call up. Phanuef would not be too far back, and if Regehr was having a better year he'd be right there too.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
No kidding. I seriously think it is impossible for them to stay out of threads dealing with the Flames. They see it, and they flock magnetically almost. It's a really interesting phenomena. :laugh:

Funny how with our terrible defencemen, we're still the better team.

All 3 are above average Dmen. JBo could have easily made it, and would be the next call up. Phanuef would not be too far back, and if Regehr was having a better year he'd be right there too.

It is interesting how the past several years the Oilers vs Flames rivalry has simmered down considerably while the new rivalry is vs the Canucks. Personally i hate them but im sure they feel the same.

Either way, Flames have the D package.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
It is interesting how the past several years the Oilers vs Flames rivalry has simmered down considerably while the new rivalry is vs the Canucks. Personally i hate them but im sure they feel the same.

Either way, Flames have the D package.

This I agree with 100%

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
By the way, I love how every single thread that mentions either the Flames or Phaneuf, Canuck fans magically show up to bash.

I don't mean to start a huge fight on this one, but Phaneuf is still a better D than any the Canucks have. Erhoff has been amazing for the Canucks but he still isn't a Phaneuf. I just don't understand how Canuck fans can bash when they don't have anything better.

Last time I checked, none of the Canucks defensemen were likely to make Team Canada.

Well duh, don't take the Canuck fan seriously who says the Canucks have a better d-man than Phanuef.

Still doesn't mean Phanuef isn't over-rated though.

12YearExtension

May 22, 2009
I wonder if flames fans would be so adamant about Bouwmeester making the team if he was still on the Panthers.

That entire team is overrated. If people said, "yeah, they have great goaltending most nights, are tough to play against, work hard, and have a superstar in Iginla" I could agree, yet people seem to put them on a pedestal and they don't deserve to be there. The Defense has ALWAYS been overrated and have never had great scoring depth.

To be fair, I hate Edmonton as much, and Vancouver just a little less. I just don't get the hype for these teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad