Olympics: calgary's big 3 d omitted...

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Regehr is having a bad season. Phanuef is over-rated, Bouwmeester was probobly the closest to a sure thing but he's not lighting it up right now either.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Calgary has the best defense in the nhl:sarcasm:

All kidding aside, Jay-bo had the best shot to make the team, dion + regehr had no chance in my opinion.

I think green not being on the team is more of a shocker.

Last edited:

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
does that suggest that they - phaneuf, regehr and bouwmeester - are overrated? especially when the tournament is not being played on an international ice surface

Regehr had no business on the 06 team and he had no business making this team. Bouwmeester is a questionable call, definitely the 8th or 9th spot. Phaneuf would also have been a fine pick but I think Weber has his spot at the "big shot, big hitter, good all around" guy, which is a fine choice to make.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
To be fair look at the roster of defenseman. Mike Green got shoved aside. Regehr is a great shutdown guy but he is not good offensively and his defense is not that much better than anyone else on the team. Put it this way, if Keith and Seabrook are assigned to shutdown duties do you not think that they would thrive and then be able to contribute more offensively? I do. So that eliminates Regehr.

Phaneuf is a guy who brings a lot to the table but again there are defensemen who have as good if not better attributes. Phaneuf can throw a harder hit than perhaps anyone in the NHL but his all around game could still use some work.

Bouwmeester is a guy that I am getting tired of waiting for. He's been a "future Norris winner" for years now and personally the only reason I think he made the 2006 team is because players like Keith, Weber, Doughty, Seabrook etc. weren't ready yet and all around Canada's defense had holes. It's to bad you know because ever since I first saw him in the WJC about 10 years ago I thought to myself "man if he only knew how good he could be with that skating". 10 years later everyone else knows it but him.

So no, they aren't overrated but they aren't the worst omissions either. Neither has played at the level this year as the other 7

bananaz

Oct 26, 2006
Canada
dion and robyn were long shots to make the team. no one should be surprised that they were left off.

i am a bit disappointed that bouwmeester was left off, he's played well (steady) and imo would have been a better choice than doughty simply because of the experience factor. seakbrook is another questionable pick, but his chemistry with keith is undeniable.

regardless, the best of luck to team canada!

Codes

Jul 7, 2009
Well, I didn't expect Phaneuf and Regehr to make it, but I thought Bouwmeester would have been there.

I guess it's unfortunate that the roster selections were made during a slump. Yzerman said decisions were based on play this season. Then I have to question why Niedermeyer is there.

Obviously the defense is very solid, but a smoother skating, solid all-round defenseman than Bouwmeester, I don't think you will find. I know Doughty is having an outstanding season so far, but is that enough to put him on the Olympic team? If the Olympics were being held in Phaneuf's rookie season (where he was very good), should he have made the team?

debil

Sep 23, 2006
Regehr never had a chance to make the team. Just in some flames fans wild dreams. IMO regehr's generaly overrated dman. He's good but no way he is team canada calibre.

Phaneuf's defensively not that good . He won Norris nomination for being offensive monster with some solid but not top defensive skills. He could have shot previous season but not this one.

Bouwemeester - he's got the skills to make the team. yzerman just decided to take some other guys.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Regehr never had a chance to make the team. Just in some flames fans wild dreams. IMO regehr's generaly overrated dman. He's good but no way he is team canada calibre.

Phaneuf's defensively not that good . He won Norris nomination for being offensive monster with some solid but not top defensive skills. He could have shot previous season but not this one.

Bouwemeester - he's got the skills to make the team. Yzerman just decided to take some other guys.

Never had a chance my ass. Regehr made it last time around as the shutdown guy. This year Yzerman obviously went with a two way team. Every single player on this team has the ability to play a two way game. Regehr doesn't, so therefore he didn't make the team. Simple.

I think Bouwmeester would have had a better chance had he not been in an offensive slump during much of December. He's been nothing but steady defensively, but his lack of offense so far hurt his chances.

To say Phaneuf isn't good defensively makes me question whether or not your a Flames fan. He's been better defensively than both Regehr and Bouwmeester lately (second half of Nov. and all of Dec.), and thats not just homer goggles. He's been splendid.

There was room for one of either Weber or Phaneuf on this team, and Weber got the call. Pronger, Keith and for some reason Neids were all pretty much locks. That left Seabrook, Boyle, Doughty, Weber, Bouwmeester, Phaneuf, Green to fight it out for the other spots. Seabrook and Boyle got it not only because of their skill but because of his chemistry with Keith/and or the Sharks line. In a short tournament, any coach will tell you that pre-established chemistry is a huge asset. Doughty got it with superb play at both ends of the ice for the Kings. So then it was down to Weber or Phaneuf, and Yzerman chose Weber. There really is no shame in losing out to Shea Weber.

All three Flames D are great players, but one of them is one dimensional, one has struggled offensively, and the other was fighting an nearly identical player. So they didn't fit.

If things go south in the Olympics, and Canada loses, people will question Yzermans choices. If the PP sucks, they'll say he should have included Green. If the PK sucks and we can't contain Russia's offense, people will be saying that they should have included a shut down guy like Regehr. Unless Canada wins gold, Yzerman's choices will be scrutinized and vilified.

I don't know how this became "are they overrated" just because they didn't make the team. And for the hundredth time, they are playing on regular NHL ice.

Last edited:

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
To be fair look at the roster of defenseman. Mike Green got shoved aside. Regehr is a great shutdown guy but he is not good offensively and his defense is not that much better than anyone else on the team. Put it this way, if Keith and Seabrook are assigned to shutdown duties do you not think that they would thrive and then be able to contribute more offensively? I do. So that eliminates Regehr.

Team Canada has always loved taking a pure shut down guy though. Foote played in I think the last 5 best on best tournaments for Canada and did a great job in each of them. I think with Yzerman in charge there is a new philosophy from top down on how to build a winning team. I hope it works.

debil

Sep 23, 2006
Never had a chance my ass. Regehr made it last time around as the shutdown guy. This year Yzerman obviously went with a two way team. Every single player on this team has the ability to play a two way game. Regehr doesn't, so therefore he didn't make the team. Simple.

I think Bouwmeester would have had a better chance had he not been in an offensive slump during much of December. He's been nothing but steady defensively, but his lack of offense so far hurt his chances.

To say Phaneuf isn't good defensively makes me question whether or not your a Flames fan. He's been better defensively than both Regehr and Bouwmeester lately (second half of Nov. and all of Dec.), and thats not just homer goggles. He's been splendid.

There was room for one of either Weber or Phaneuf on this team, and Weber got the call. Pronger, Keith and for some reason Neids were all pretty much locks. That left Seabrook, Doughty, Weber, Bouwmeester, Phaneuf, Green to fight it out for the other spots. Seabrook got it not only because of his skill but because of his chemistry with Keith. Doughty got it with superb play at both ends of the ice for the Kings. So then it was down to Weber or Phaneuf, and Yzerman chose Weber. There really is no shame in losing out to Shea Weber.

All three Flames D are great players, but one of them is one dimensional, one has struggled offensively, and the other was fighting an nearly identical player. So they didn't fit.

If things go south in the Olympics, and Canada loses, people will start to question Yzermans choices. If the PP sucks, they'll say he should have included Green. If the PK sucks and we can't contain Russia's offense, people will be saying that they should have included a shut down guy like Regehr. Unless Canada wins gold, Yzerman's choices will be scrutinized and vilified.

I don't know how this became "are they overrated" just because they didn't make the team. And for the hundredth time, they are playing on regular NHL ice.

That's fine, you would take regehr, in my team he wouldn't have a chance. You like Phaneuf's defensive play, I say it's not that good to make team canada. But does it have to turn into question of being good flames fan? Do I have to praise all flames players no matter how they perform to be a good flames fan?

LeopoldStoch

Dec 27, 2009
Vancouver BC
does that suggest that they - phaneuf, regehr and bouwmeester - are overrated? especially when the tournament is not being played on an international ice surface

Not making Team Canada doesn't make you overrated. Those three just didn't fit in with the direction they went.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
That's fine, you would take regehr, in my team he wouldn't have a chance. You like Phaneuf's defensive play, I say it's not that good to make team canada. But does it have to turn into question of being good flames fan? Do I have to praise all flames players no matter how they perform to be a good flames fan?

Sorry, I guess I should have said that you don't watch too many games. I was toying with each, but then I got lost in the rest of my rant.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think it says more about the amazing depth Canada has at D than it has to say about them not being good players. When you can leave players such as Green and Bouwmeester out of the team, you are very lucky indeed.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Team Canada is stacked but in what Universe do you decide that Dion Phaneuf is not good enough to make your team? He's the player every NHL team would dream to have. I would bet you if you would ask every NHL GMs wich player they would rather have between Pronger, Niedermayer, Keith, Seabrook, Doughty, Boyle, Weber and Phaneuf and they would pick Phaneuf. Especially with SN and Pronger not being the way they used to be, given their age. Just for fun have all the 30 teams' GM select their first pick amongst these 8 players and Phaneuf would get on top by a wide margin.

Don't get me wrong I know DP has always been overrated but let's get real here, he's too talented to be left out in my opinion.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Flip a coin between Doughty and Bouwmeester really. Obviously Doughty brings you more offense, but Bouwmeester IMO is more reliable at this stage of his career and has Olympic experience.

However, I can live with either/or. Let's not overanalyze this as much as people have been doing in the past several hours. Fact is, Team Canada is extremely difficult to make, and these players were just unfortunate that they were slightly passed by others.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

All 3 are sort of 1 dimensional. Bouwmeester did not have enough offensive upside, neither did Regehr. And Phaneuf is just overrated.

Bouwmeester I would say is not even as good defensively as most of Canadas D. Pronger, Niedermayer, Keith, Seabrook, I would even argue Boyle, and not nearly as good offensively as Weber and Doughty.

Ironslave

May 22, 2008

Team Canada is stacked but in what Universe do you decide that Dion Phaneuf is not good enough to make your team? He's the player every NHL team would dream to have. I would bet you if you would ask every NHL GMs wich player they would rather have between Pronger, Niedermayer, Keith, Seabrook, Doughty, Boyle, Weber and Phaneuf and they would pick Phaneuf. Especially with SN and Pronger not being the way they used to be, given their age. Just for fun have all the 30 teams' GM select their first pick amongst these 8 players and Phaneuf would get on top by a wide margin.

Don't get me wrong I know DP has always been overrated but let's get real here, he's too talented to be left out in my opinion.

Not a chance. If you were to ask ANY GM which of the bunch they would have (considering current skill level and age), it would be the following:

Doughty
Keith
Weber
Seabrook
Phaneuf
Boyle/Niedermayer/Pronger (because all they're more or less 10 years older).

Dogbert*

Sounds good to me. Team Canada's defense is still top-notch, and almost the entire Flames roster gets a three-week break before the stretch drive.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007

hahahahaha. This isn't '08, open your eyes.

the_speedster

Jul 7, 2007
I think their reputations are coloring some thoughts...

phaneuf is massively overrated. I like his big hit mentality but his defensive play has really suffered this year (as higlighted by the mason raymond hattrick) Against the big three of kovalchuk, ovechkin and malkin He'd get whip lash:shakehead

boumeester was the only one having a considerable season but again.. The biggest thing he brought to the table was his skating... there's no one on the roster that isn't an elite skater so.....

oh and regehr has huge ears..:sarcasm:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Oh noes! I can show you videos of every single player who made the Olympics being shown being beaten defensively. In fact, I've got one in mind about Mr. Future HHOF Pronger getting beaten just as badly. Let me see if I can find it.

That was a bad play, yeah, but Phaneuf has improved leaps and bounds from the Chicago drubbings onwards. He has learned the new system and gotten used to his new partner. The Canucks caught the entire team with their pants down. Its not like it was just Phaneuf. And aren't Canucks fans so proud of Raymond for being one of the fastest guys in the NHL? He catches many defensemen flatfooted, not just Phaneuf.

Many Flames fans will tell you that Phaneuf has been our best defensive guy in the past month plus, even above Regehr and Bouwmeester.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad