Proposal: Calgary-Carolina

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Hey I don't see an actual proposal link, so I'll make my own. Would a Monahan for Lindholm and one of Slavin/Hanifin/other young Dman not named Faulk be a good point? I know Hanifin is near untouchable and not for Monahan, still what do you guys think of the starting point of the trade? I feel both Monahan and Lindholm can use a change of scenery.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
Monahan is worlds above Elias Lindholm both in potential ceiling as well as current ability. Carolina would probably have to add significantly in terms of a first round pick and a good middle six player if they ever wanted to get Monahan. Just my .02$.

Highway29

Don dun well?
Mar 20, 2013
I think we are set in the middle with Staal and Rask and whoever takes the 3C spot.

We need another big, strong winger with 20+20

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Monahan is worlds above Elias Lindholm both in potential ceiling as well as current ability. Carolina would probably have to add significantly in terms of a first round pick and a good middle six player if they ever wanted to get Monahan. Just my .02$.

While I think the Canes add to Lindholm to get Monahan, I don't believe they'd add quite as much as you're suggesting. My guess is it would be more along the lines of Lindy, a pick (likely something like 2018 first rounder), and a prospect with a fair amount of potential.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
While I think the Canes add to Lindholm to get Monahan, I don't believe they'd add quite as much as you're suggesting. My guess is it would be more along the lines of Lindy, a pick (likely something like 2018 first rounder), and a prospect with a fair amount of potential.

If it's Monahan for Lindholm and Hanifin, what else would the Flames have to add? Maybe Monahan, and Kylington for Lindholm, Hanifin, and 2018 1st?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If it's Monahan for Lindholm and Hanifin, what else would the Flames have to add? Maybe Monahan, and Kylington for Lindholm, Hanifin, and 2018 1st?

There's a fair chance the 2018 1st will be a very high pick, so I don't see the Canes wanting to trade any 1sts any time soon (until they know where in the 1st they are drafting). I think you are making things too complicated. IMO, if the Canes are trading for a young, top 6 forward, they'd be offering up one of their young D as the primary piece. Adding extra picks, extra guys just makes any trade to unlikely and difficulty.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

What do the Flames have to add? How did the Canes 1st magically show up? Awful deal.

If the Flames want Hanifin then Gaudreau is coming back (with the Canes adding). Not interested in Monahan or Bennett in a Hanifin deal.

Flames have the same strengths and weaknesses as the Canes. They are terrible trading partners.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
can monahan play wing? he would be 3c on this team and am not trading lindholm plus for a 3c even though the actual value is fair (depending on the plus)

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
can monahan play wing? he would be 3c on this team and am not trading lindholm plus for a 3c even though the actual value is fair (depending on the plus)

That's being a bit disingenuous.

Monahan: 22 years old with two 60+ point seasons on his resume.
Rask: 23 years old with one 48 point season on his resume
Staal: 28 years old with a career high 49 points.

Monahan is not as good defensively as Rask or Staal, but offensively he is far superior. I'm fairly certain he'd be the 1C or 2C on this team.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
That's being a bit disingenuous.

Monahan: 22 years old with two 60+ point seasons on his resume.
Rask: 23 years old with one 48 point season on his resume
Staal: 28 years old with a career high 49 points.

Monahan is not as good defensively as Rask or Staal, but offensively he is far superior. I'm fairly certain he'd be the 1C or 2C on this team.

I don't think it's a given that he is far superior offensively. His success has come attached to the hip of one of the best playmakers in the league. I'd say he is a pretty close comparable to this year's incarnation of Rask (which is a damn good player).

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I don't think it's a given that he is far superior offensively. His success has come attached to the hip of one of the best playmakers in the league. I'd say he is a pretty close comparable to this year's incarnation of Rask (which is a damn good player).

Except, (1) as a 19 YO rookie, he still had 22 goals without that great playmaker. He's not only a product of Gaudreau. (2) Let's not act like Rask doesn't benefit from Skinner.

My point stands. Monahan, to this point in his career has been far superior to Staal and Rask offensively, and he's younger.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Except, (1) as a 19 YO rookie, he still had 22 goals without that great playmaker. He's not only a product of Gaudreau. (2) Let's not act like Rask doesn't benefit from Skinner.

My point stands. Monahan, to this point in his career has been far superior to Staal and Rask offensively, and he's younger.

Never said he's a product of Gaudreau, just that it isn't a given that he is "far superior" (your words) to Rask offensively. Especially considering Rask has 6 more points in 3 less games so far this year.

Undoubtedly Rask benefits from Skinner in the same way Monahan benefits from Gaudreau. As I said, they are pretty good comparables.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Never said he's a product of Gaudreau, just that it isn't a given that he is "far superior" (your words) to Rask offensively. Especially considering Rask has 6 more points in 3 less games so far this year.

Oh, C'mon AMO. You are really going to forgo 160+ games over the past 2 seasons and look at 9-10 games this season as the rationale? Maybe down the road Rask will be a superior offensive player to Monahan, but it's really not even an argument at this point. The whole discussion was "Monahan would be our 3rd line Center" and I completely disagree.

Also, you clearly DID say he's a product of Gaudreau. Your exact quote: " His success has come attached to the hip of one of the best playmakers in the league." So if you aren't saying it's a product of Gaudreau, then what exactly what were you trying to day with that quote, because that's exactly how it read.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Oh, C'mon AMO. You are really going to forgo 160+ games over the past 2 seasons and look at 9-10 games this season as the rationale? Maybe down the road Rask will be a superior offensive player to Monahan, but it's really not even an argument at this point. The whole discussion was "Monahan would be our 3rd line Center" and I completely disagree.

Also, you clearly DID say he's a product of Gaudreau. Your exact quote: " His success has come attached to the hip of one of the best playmakers in the league." So if you aren't saying it's a product of Gaudreau, then what exactly what were you trying to day with that quote, because that's exactly how it read.

You read it that way because you wanted to read it that way. Monahan's two best seasons by a wide margin came playing primarily with Gaudreau. That's just an objective observation. I think it is fair to question if he would be a 60+ point 1C away from Gaudreau and on a offensively-challenged Canes team. I disagree with your assertion that he is "far superior" offensively to Rask. IMO it's equally as silly as saying he'd be the #3C on the Canes.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
You read it that way because you wanted to read it that way. Monahan's two best seasons by a wide margin came playing primarily with Gaudreau. That's just an objective observation. I think it is fair to question if he would be a 60+ point 1C away from Gaudreau and on a offensively-challenged Canes team. I disagree with your assertion that he is "far superior" offensively to Rask. IMO it's equally as silly as saying he'd be the #3C on the Canes.

I don't get it . You say I wanted to "read it that way", but then go on to say "Monahan's two best seasons by a wide margin came playing primarily with Gaudreau." So again, isn't that you saying his production is a product of playing with Guadreau? What am I missing?

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Even if Rask is the 1C, Monahan will easily surpass Staal. Staal has never been an offensive stewart and would make the third line super dangerous for opposing players defensively (NOt that he doesn't already, Cam Ward faces one of the lowest high danger shots in the league and fails).

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The Canes already have 2 players who can score goals. They don't need a 3rd!

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Terribly one sided proposals. I wouldn't trade Hanifin straight up for Monahan

I know Monahan has had a slow start, but he's historically a two-way 1C that will score you 25+ goals. He is everything we wanted in the offseason, and he's still only 22 years old.

Hanifin is going to be very good, but maybe not great, and Slavin is already just about everything Hanifin was supposed to be anyway. Fleury and Bean waiting in the wings, and a Hainsey for good measure. We can afford to trade from this position of strength. I'd do it.

Skinner-Monahan-Lindholm
Aho-Rask-Stempniak
Nestrasil-Staal-Teravainen
Stalberg-McClement-DiGiuseppe

Slavin-Pesce
Fleury?-Faulk
Hainsey-Murphy

Last edited:

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I know Monahan has had a slow start, but he's historically a two-way 1C that will score you 25+ goals. He is everything we wanted in the offseason, and he's still only 22 years old.

Hanifin is going to be very good, but maybe not great, and Slavin is already just about everything Hanifin was supposed to be anyway.
Fleury and Bean waiting in the wings, and a Hainsey for good measure. We can afford to trade from this position of strength. I'd do it.

Skinner-Monahan-Lindholm
Aho-Rask-Stempniak
Nestrasil-Staal-Teravainen
Stalberg-McClement-DiGiuseppe

Slavin-Pesce
Fleury?-Faulk
Hainsey-Murphy

I would disagree with everything in the bold. Personally, having watched him and been a fan since he committed to BC, if Hanifin only ever becomes as good as Slavin is now...I'll consider him a bust. It's well below his potential.

I also doubt that Slavin has as much upside over where he is now as people think he does. Go back and listen to what his HS and College coaches say. It's always some variation on "I'm not surprised with his success...he's a smart, mature, poised kid and this is the kind of solid, responsible game he's been playing for years." Give him the eyeball test...he looks like a 4-5 year veteran; he makes mistakes but not as many as the other kids. Slavin plays like a veteran 2/3D because he entered the league thinking the game like an old pro and with above-average talent...but I don't know that there's a lot above that to build into his game.

Slavin's talent is good, but not elite...Hanifin's talent is elite. In the end, I expect Hanifin to end up in the discussion for top-15 defensemen in the league. Nobody sane has that kind of expectation for Jaccob Slavin.

I'd say "Slavin's more than I ever hoped for from Fleury." Slavin makes Fleury possibly expendable...not Hanifin. If I had to make the choice between Hanifin and Slavin, I move Slavin 12 times out of 10.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I would disagree with everything in the bold. Personally, having watched him and been a fan since he committed to BC, if Hanifin only ever becomes as good as Slavin is now...I'll consider him a bust. It's well below his potential.

I also doubt that Slavin has as much upside over where he is now as people think he does. Go back and listen to what his HS and College coaches say. It's always some variation on "I'm not surprised with his success...he's a smart, mature, poised kid and this is the kind of solid, responsible game he's been playing for years." Give him the eyeball test...he looks like a 4-5 year veteran; he makes mistakes but not as many as the other kids. Slavin plays like a veteran 2/3D because he entered the league thinking the game like an old pro and with above-average talent...but I don't know that there's a lot above that to build into his game.

Slavin's talent is good, but not elite...Hanifin's talent is elite. In the end, I expect Hanifin to end up in the discussion for top-15 defensemen in the league. Nobody sane has that kind of expectation for Jaccob Slavin.

I'd say "Slavin's more than I ever hoped for from Fleury." Slavin makes Fleury possibly expendable...not Hanifin. If I had to make the choice between Hanifin and Slavin, I move Slavin 12 times out of 10.

Defenders don't peak at 21 years old. Slavin has only gotten better since entering the NHL. I don't see how any reasonable person could look at both sophomores right now and say "Yep, Hanifins a clear-cut future #1 while Slavin has peaked". That is just Draft bias.

Hanifin is two years younger and hopefully he will continue to develop. Right now, he is light years behind Slavin when it comes to defensive awareness and positioning. I don't see him ever developing the skill and confidence in transition that Slavin has right now. Slavin's poise in carrying the puck along with his backhand and ability to read the goalie is why he is so effective in the shoot out. That is a natural skill that few defensemen have, reminds me of Karlsson (who is a much better playmaker with a better shot).

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Slavin's skill on the backhand is something ite forwards envy. It's the first thing about his game that I noticed that really blew me away. That's a hell of a skill to have for a defenseman when you can clear the zone from behind your own goal line on the backhand with relative ease.

Bridgeman

Mar 1, 2013
Tampa FL
Defenders don't peak at 21 years old. Slavin has only gotten better since entering the NHL. I don't see how any reasonable person could look at both sophomores right now and say "Yep, Hanifins a clear-cut future #1 while Slavin has peaked". That is just Draft bias.

Hanifin is two years younger and hopefully he will continue to develop. Right now, he is light years behind Slavin when it comes to defensive awareness and positioning. I don't see him ever developing the skill and confidence in transition that Slavin has right now. Slavin's poise in carrying the puck along with his backhand and ability to read the goalie is why he is so effective in the shoot out. That is a natural skill that few defensemen have, reminds me of Karlsson (who is a much better playmaker with a better shot).

Hanifin is 3 years younger and until they pair him with a quality d partner he will never play with the skill and confidence in transition that Slavin has .... Really surprised how the team is handling his development ...... No doing him any favors ... Send him to Charlotte or take the training wheels off its not like they're the favorites to win the cup...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00