GDT: Calgary at Vancouver April 13th , 7pm MT - Johnny Hockey and Arnold!! SN-W

May 27, 2012
Earth
Yep but they won't talk about it.

I was having a discussion with my Canuck-fan friend. Anyone else feel like Yannick Weber had more intent to injure Gaudreau by shoving him into the end boards than Byron did with Sedin?

I thought so to. Went right for him to send him into the boards. Completely ignored the puck. They won't talk about it because johnny isn't hurt.

I think this is an over exaggeration. I t happens all the time when players go for the puck. It looked bad because Gaudreau is 5'9 160lbs. He wasn't ready for the bump, and it looked worse than it should have been. If Stajan went in there it would have a neutral play and nothing would have come of it.

Weber is 5'11 200lbs. He is no slouch for his size. So it wouldn't surprise me if Gaudreau bounced off like nothing, was his first game anyways and one of the first hits he received. I don't think he had the intent to injure.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I honestly believe Gaudreau will be on the Flames next season. He is so smart, and already thinks the game on that level, similar to Monahan. Don't forget that even if he were to play on the Heat that there are just as big of guys and many goons that play in the NHL. There are lots of enforcers in the AHL that are trying to make a name for themselves, so really he is going to face a fairly close level of physical play no matter where he is. It's clear to me that from his time at BC that he is "mentally" ready for the NHL. I do expect him to have an adjustment period like any rookie and some struggles, but I think a player like him is only going to get better playing against the best players, it will accelerate his hockey smarts and level of play the fastest. The one thing though is his size, that kid has to get on the protein and creatine and really become a gym rat. He has definitely gotten bigger, but man if he could gain another 15lbs over the next couple of seasons then there may be no stopping him.

JulianHopper*

Flames End Season With 5-1 Loss

This game was all about the debut of Johnny Gaudreau and he didn't disappoint. Got himself in good position in a high traffic area with his stick on the ice and scored his first NHL goal. Played over 15 minutes in this game.

He is small though and will have to bulk up some more over the summer and in the coming years.

Bill Arnold played over 13 minutes as well and wasn't quite as noticeable though.

Chris Butler with over 27 minutes in this game and the only Flame to play all 82 games this season. TJ Brodie just short one, I hope he's okay as he took a pretty big hit in the prior game against the Jets.

Flames with at least 6 marginal NHLer's in this game which is understandable being a meaningless game at the end of the season.

There is a lot of work to do in the offseason here to get a roster moving forward in the second year of the rebuild. I expect to see quite a few players being moved or not re-signed.

Overall it was a good season being the first year of the re-build and next year will be even more interesting as to where this team is heading.

Go Flames!

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I said it earlier in the GDT, but I was really pretty impressed by Arnold. I felt that he was much better than Knight was in his call-up. It wasn't just faceoffs, but he made some really subtle, smart plays with the puck. I didn't expect him to really do anything in his first game except make the simple play, but he certainly exceeded those expectations, especially when he was playing with Johnny in the first.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I said it earlier in the GDT, but I was really pretty impressed by Arnold. I felt that he was much better than Knight was in his call-up. It wasn't just faceoffs, but he made some really subtle, smart plays with the puck. I didn't expect him to really do anything in his first game except make the simple play, but he certainly exceeded those expectations, especially when he was playing with Johnny in the first.

Agree strongly. Arnold didn't get enough attention last night for sure. He played a solid game and was impressive in the dot. Loved his presence around our own net.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I thought he looked very good, you couldn't tell it was his first game. He seemed very poised and made many smart plays/reads. Definitely has the potential of at least a number 3C.

Johnny Hockey

Nov 18, 2010
Calgary Alberta
I think this is an over exaggeration. I t happens all the time when players go for the puck. It looked bad because Gaudreau is 5'9 160lbs. He wasn't ready for the bump, and it looked worse than it should have been. If Stajan went in there it would have a neutral play and nothing would have come of it.

Weber is 5'11 200lbs. He is no slouch for his size. So it wouldn't surprise me if Gaudreau bounced off like nothing, was his first game anyways and one of the first hits he received. I don't think he had the intent to injure.

Definitely agree that johnny is easily rag dolled and it's just going to be that way, but the shove was into the boards on a guy who didn't have the puck. It was a penalty for a reason. It's not allowed. IMO it was more dangerous than the sedin hit. Sedin got hurt because he refused to protect himself (put his head down right as he was going to the boards, IMO on purpose.) I think sedin was trying to draw a penalty and it went wrong for him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Tortorella is crying to the media again, he must have just faced the Flames. Lol

Safe to say Hartley is the new Brooksy?

I'm not sure if I want Torts to stay in Vancouver or leave. I'm torn. He clearly is terrible with their core players, but he is also extremely irritating to have to listen to. And the worst part is Vancouver fans probably lap up this stuff and use it as fuel for their anti-Flames rants.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

You're right it wasn't that bad but neither was Byron's and yet the Canucks fans have called him a goon and called it a dirty hit. People are asking for 5+ games for the hit, if that is the standard that is going to be held then any contact on JG I'm going to be sensitive about. It's annoying to hear about a nothing play that had a terrible result and not talk about all the other nothing plays that went just fine.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I like his anti-Hartley rants, I think there hilarious. What did Hartley do to Torts in the past anyway?

It supposedly goes back to the 90's when they coached in the AHL. I've never liked or even respected Torts, he treats his own players like **** and throws them under the bus when ever the team struggles, not to mention he can't adapt his system for anything. If he is the judge of if Hartley is a bad guy I think I'll go with the guy that isn't known for running his mouth.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The NHL has gone full conspiracy

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet
Following up on the Byron-Sedin hit last night. There will be no further discipline from the NHL. Penalty on the ice was viewed enough.

How can Hartley's goons not get punished.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I fully attribute the Cancuks meltdown to Hartley's coaching antics... and I love it!

He's the perfect coach for us right now, gets more out of these players than any coach has in the last decade (granted half the team were call-ups/rookies fighting for jobs). He probably knew that Torts would go nuclear over his line choices and it worked!

I agree that no discipline is necessary on this. If it wasn't for an automatic misconduct after an injury, he would have only been given a 2. Just an unfortunate result of an awkward play that both players should be held responsible for.

I'm actually more upset with Brad Richardson coming in as the 3rd man and punching Byron in the back of the head. That can do damage too and it just cowardly to hit someone already being engaged by someone.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Anyone else think that a Flames-Canucks rivalry could heat up in the next few years, if Hartley and Torts are at the helm?

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Anyone else think that a Flames-Canucks rivalry could heat up in the next few years, if Hartley and Torts are at the helm?
Definitely, and I love it. The BoA has gotten stale lately. I'm loving the recent Tortorellan press conferences. That guy is just out of control and a golden font of comedy.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

As far as I'm concerned, we've been pretty bitter rivals since the rise of the Canucks. Slacked a bit the last couple of seasons due to our rebuild, but it should be really fun next year if we're more competitive and they bounce back a bit.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That seems correct.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
If the Devils win lottery, there will be a redrawing until another team gets the No. 1 pick. Devils pick 30th regardless. Can't trade pick.

Pretty big waste of time to include the Devils in the draw at all. I've just checked the math and (as is intuitive) the odds of any team winning the draft are the same if you just remove the Devils' balls completely from the draw.

I guess they do this so that they don't feel the need to actually report the other teams' proper odds of winning the draw.

In order to find out a team's actual odds of winning the draw, you take their reported odds (for Calgary, that's 10.7%) and multiply it by 1/0.985. That brings our actual odds up to 10.9%. You can thank Lou for that extra 0.2%!

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Pretty big waste of time to include the Devils in the draw at all. I've just checked the math and (as is intuitive) the odds of any team winning the draft are the same if you just remove the Devils' balls completely from the draw.

I guess they do this so that they don't feel the need to actually report the other teams' proper odds of winning the draw.

In order to find out a team's actual odds of winning the draw, you take their reported odds (for Calgary, that's 10.7%) and multiply it by 1/0.985. That brings our actual odds up to 10.9%. You can thank Lou for that extra 0.2%!

Yeah if they do the slow reveal like last year, going from 14 to 1 and the Devils "win" so they have to re-do, that will be annoying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad