GDT: Calgary at Vancouver April 13th , 7pm MT - Johnny Hockey and Arnold!! SN-W

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
In hockey, the players engaging in contact are usually equally responsible for their bodies and positioning unless the hit is a "cheap shot". Such as when Scott Stevens exploded on Lindros when he was entering into the offensive zone with his head down. Lindros should of had his head up and Stevens had to make that hit. Sedin should not of turned into the boards the way he did, but regardless it's very unfortunate he got hurt and had to leave on a stretcher, nobody likes to see that. I do not feel Byron had any intention to injure, while he's a high energy guy, he's not a malicious player by any stretch especially at his size. Hopefully Sedin will be okay.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
In hockey, the players engaging in contact are usually equally responsible for their bodies and positioning unless the hit is a "cheap shot". Such as when Scott Stevens exploded on Lindros when he was entering into the offensive zone with his head down. Lindros should of had his head up and Stevens had to make that hit. Sedin should not of turned into the boards the way he did, but regardless it's very unfortunate he got hurt and had to leave on a stretcher, nobody likes to see that. I do not feel Byron had any intention to injure, while he's a high energy guy, he's not a malicious player by any stretch especially at his size. Hopefully Sedin will be okay.

Good post on the situation, I agree with your assessment.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Sedin saw him coming to. :shakehead

I just don't get how it was "dirty" as all the Nucks fans are saying. Watching the replay it seems pretty clear to me Sedin sees its 153 lb Byron and sticks his ass out (and thus moves his back into Byron's path instead of his shoulder) and he wasn't able to absorb the hit like he thought he would. To me that is on Sedin not Byron, I don't think I would have even given it a penalty.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Yeah what a dirty coach, putting our smallest player out on the ice like that! Someone could have tripped over him!

You didn't know? Hartley's notorious for sending guys smaller than Gaudreau to go after the teams stars and make it look like a complete accident.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Yeah what a dirty coach, putting our smallest player out on the ice like that! Someone could have tripped over him!

We can't play the 4th line because they are to big and tough, we can't play the rookies because they are to small and tough. Maybe we should ask the Nucks which players they want us to play its hard to keep track :laugh:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
We can't play the 4th line because they are to big and tough, we can't play the rookies because they are to small and tough. Maybe we should ask the Nucks which players they want us to play its hard to keep track :laugh:

Yeah seriously. Maybe we should set up a wiki to keep track.

Step7750

Jan 24, 2014
Calgary, Alberta
The first of (hopefully) many for Gaudreau!

Gaudreau1st.gif

It has been a great season.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Overall, I'm pretty happy with how our boys played this season. They surpassed expectations, they developed an identity that our fan base can get behind and relate to, we are getting our franchises first top 5 draft pick, we saw some young talent in our system play some exciting, hard working and skilled hockey and gave us a glimpse of what the future may look like. I'm really proud of our team and coaching staff, I'm also proud to be a Flames fan, more so than I have been in a long time with how hard this team works. Lastly, we got to see Gaudreau make his debut and score a goal in his first game. If he can add some strength, he could be a really electrifying player and a potential star in the NHL. There is a ton of work to do to become a contender for the Flames, but the future is a bright one and it will be an exciting offseason!

So pumped for the draft, I'd be ecstatic even if we got bumped up to 3rd overall.

GO FLAMES GO!!!! :yo:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Overall, I'm pretty happy with how our boys played this season. They surpassed expectations, they developed an identity that our fan base can get behind and relate to, we are getting our franchises first top 5 draft pick, we saw some young talent in our system play some exciting, hard working and skilled hockey and gave us a glimpse of what the future may look like. I'm really proud of our team and coaching staff, I'm also proud to be a Flames fan, more so than I have been in a long time with how hard this team works. Lastly, we got to see Gaudreau make his debut and score a goal in his first game. If he can add some strength, he could be a really electrifying player and a potential star in the NHL. There is a ton of work to do to become a contender for the Flames, but the future is a bright one and it will be an exciting offseason!

So pumped for the draft, I'd be ecstatic even if we got bumped up to 3rd overall.

Its amazing how optimistic this board is given that we are still at the start of a rebuild, our first top 5 pick. I think thats a huge credit to how hard the team worked this year every game.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
I haven't looked at the standings but...
VANCOUVER 83 PTS
NY ISLANDERS 79 PTS
CALGARY 77 PTS

That Canucks REALLY fell. The Flames were only 6 points behind them...

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
like Monahan Johnny just looks like he knows where to be at all times. One of those players that the puck seems to follow.

After his showing tonight the coaching staff will work hard with him this summer to get ready for next year. CANT WAIT

SO MUCH OPTIMISM

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Its amazing how optimistic this board is given that we are still at the start of a rebuild, our first top 5 pick. I think thats a huge credit to how hard the team worked this year every game.

It is, but it goes to some how important an intangible like character is. Honestly it would not surprise me at all to see this team regress a little next year, but I wouldn't sweat it that much. That is normal, just like a sophomore slump, but the end result is what is important and we saw lots to be excited about this season. I'm not betting on seeing this team regress though, Hartley and Co. do such a good job to prepare our guys every night, but I just know that is a common trait with a young team.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Wait how do we get 3rd?

We can't (as I assume you were pointing out)

59.5% chance we pick 4th. (1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 11th win the lottery)
10.7% chance we pick 1st. (4th wins the lottery)
29.8% chance we pick 5th. (any other lotto winner)

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto

Agree with everything you said. The Flames worked so hard' there was a lot of hope and now we finally got more of an identity than Iggy and Kipper, we work hard, smart and a hard team to play against

But it's impossible to go 3rd in draft
1st if we win lottery (10% chance)
4th (where we are now)
5th (if anyone behind us wins lottery or Islanders move up one)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad