Cale Makar first NHL Goal!

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
For anyone too lazy to lookup some Avs fan takes from the Makar selection- pretty funny reactions. On draft night I do recall most analysts saying that Makar was a pretty high boom/bust prospect. Glad that it has worked out for Makar and the Avalanche, I thought his debut was real impressive.

You have to take into consideration that many on the Avs board said MacKinnon would only end up being a 60 point winger (because he apparently couldn't play centre)...like only 3 years ago.

It's really not a good place to go to for talent evaluation. Mainly because the sky is always falling.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
For anyone too lazy to lookup some Avs fan takes from the Makar selection- pretty funny reactions. On draft night I do recall most analysts saying that Makar was a pretty high boom/bust prospect. Glad that it has worked out for Makar and the Avalanche, I thought his debut was real impressive.

It's only been 3 games for Makar, still a long way to go. I didn't doubt his capabilities, I just liked other prospects' capabilities at #4 like Petterson or Mittelstadt. And yes Makar has been great this past season, NCAA frozen four, Hobey Baker, top player not in the NHL, but I would still take the proven NHL all-star/66 point centre over Makar. But this may change in a few years too..

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
It's only been 3 games for Makar, still a long way to go. I didn't doubt his capabilities, I just liked other prospects' capabilities at #4 like Petterson or Mittelstadt. And yes Makar has been great this past season, NCAA frozen four, Hobey Baker, top player not in the NHL, but I would still take the proven NHL all-star/66 point centre over Makar. But this may change in a few years too..

He'll be a key cog for the Avs for awhile. Very happy with him.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I had huge expectations but it only took three games to make me think I still might have underrated him. Put him on the ice and every line becomes dangerous.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
You have to take into consideration that many on the Avs board said MacKinnon would only end up being a 60 point winger (because he apparently couldn't play centre)...like only 3 years ago.

It's really not a good place to go to for talent evaluation. Mainly because the sky is always falling.
We have alot of great posters but you really have to know which posters to take serious and even when to take them serious haha.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Makar was Colorado's best defensemen in games 4 and 5. That says a lot when Barrie and Zadorov have looked as good as they have.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
IIRC, we pretty much knew we were taking whoever was left of Heiskanen/Makar. We were bummed when Dallas took Heiskanen, but I don’t remember much of an issue with the Makar pick at that point. There are always some guys who are going to want a different position, and those like Pettersson might not have been wrong.

But it’s definitely clear that losing the ‘17 draft lottery was a blessing in disguise. We would’ve taken Nolan Patrick and I don’t think that’s going to be a close comparison.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

There's select few who know what they're talking about, but the masses (myself included), yeah we're a bunch of dummies sometimes.

Reactions: 63 others

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1