Prospect Info: Cale Fleury

Status
Not open for further replies.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Forgot all about Brook,but he seems to have stagnated already.
I assume your not watching Laval games and think Brook has stagnated because he isnt scoring points he looks good makes some great passes defensive gaffs but those are expected at his age all in all he looks good and is adjusting to the pro game quite well imo not stagnating.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He does look good for being so green. A solid 4=6 on a roster. Not sure how much offensive upside he's got. NJ appears to have a leg up in that area,and can play physical as well,but not his bread and butter.

His puck moving needs some work IMO but it's not terrible. He is a very good skater but his passing ability in tight spaces can improve. Constructive criticism. Mete for example is not as physical but his passing ability in tight spaces is almost elite level IMO.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Forgot all about Brook,but he seems to have stagnated already.

It happens when players turn pro. People need to realize there is two levels of development... What they do in development leagues and then what they do after they turn pro. Playing against men who are more physical and less time and space is a big deal.

I think his hockey IQ is high so he will adjust but it will take time. Fleury gained momentum in his age 20 AHL season so lets see where Brook is at at half way point.

One thing I like about Brook is he is one strong boy already at 20. He is only starting to get use to things in terms of playing against men and less time and space.

Reactions: habsfan891

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I assume your not watching Laval games and think Brook has stagnated because he isnt scoring points he looks good makes some great passes defensive gaffs but those are expected at his age all in all he looks good and is adjusting to the pro game quite well imo not stagnating.
Agreed, he isn’t putting up points but carries the puck well and will stick handle deep into the other team’s zone. You can see he has some excellent skills. He is also doing well defensively.
A complete season in Laval is needed

Jul 6, 2016
Agreed, he isn’t putting up points but carries the puck well and will stick handle deep into the other team’s zone. You can see he has some excellent skills. He is also doing well defensively.
A complete season in Laval is needed

They might send Fleury down to AHL, IF and WHEN Juulsen will show he is ready to come back at NHL level. Too bad one of them is not a LHD.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Good to hear,as mentioned elsewhere,have not seen games but relying on some friends comments. Glad to hear that he is doing some things,just was expecting more offence from him.

Reactions: habsfan891

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
He's very reliable whether defensively and offensively. It's sure he'll capitalize his chances eventually.

Reactions: cphabs

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
he's been a -3 in the last 4 and I see his TOI has dropped as well since an almost career high at over 17 mins vs Vegas. He's only been a + player in 2 games this year. Looks like he's getting his share of hits and shots though.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
He's played well despite being paired with Kulak, or Reilly.

His offense will come. He's got a big shot.

He could always be an interesting trade piece.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
he's been a -3 in the last 4 and I see his TOI has dropped as well since an almost career high at over 17 mins vs Vegas. He's only been a + player in 2 games this year. Looks like he's getting his share of hits and shots though.
It might be a good idea to switch him with Juulsen for a bit and see what happens.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fleury is my dark horse candidate to break out in the next season or two. Right now, he is playing a solid game in his own end and he is certainly playing physical and can handle the NHL. No points in 13 games but I love how he plays.

Very curious to see how he finishes the year and what he does in the off season to prepare for his age 21 season next year. He turns 21 in a few days. Lots of competition with the youth to earn spots and this is going to push them to work hard where they stand out more than the other.

Reactions: Plekatorz

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
He's the king of the counter hit. It almost bit him in the ass on a shift last night, but he also decked Seth Jones, who is huge.

He's going to be a steady NHL defender, which is more than we can say about a lot of our recent D prospects besides Mete.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
He's the king of the counter hit. It almost bit him in the ass on a shift last night, but he also decked Seth Jones, who is huge.

He's going to be a steady NHL defender, which is more than we can say about a lot of our recent D prospects besides Mete.
They were talking about that on TSN last night. I love the counter hit but players will catch on and he'll need to pick and choose when he does it. It's a great move to have though.

Jul 6, 2016
Send Fleury down??? Have you watched any games??! It ain’t happening.

That is why I wrote "too bad one of them is not a LHD". You cannot keep Juulsen at AHL level for long. Habs are loaded with good RHD. Use one of them to acquire a good LHD, maybe ?

Last edited:

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
They might send Fleury down to AHL, IF and WHEN Juulsen will show he is ready to come back at NHL level. Too bad one of them is not a LHD.

If Juulsen can show he belongs, I'd like to see this for a couple of games:

Petry - Weber
Mete - Juulsen
Chiarot - Fleury

Petry has shown in the past that in limited roles he can play the left, let's see if he can do it more permanently. Mete could take the pressure off of Juulsen where moving the puck is concerned. Chiarot could allow Fleury a bit more leeway to try and do more with the puck.

Added bonus this would limit Chiarot from having to play on the first line to have a "Shutdown Pair".

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Everything about Fleury is trending in the right direction. I've actually been impressed with his one timers from the point and him moving up sometimes.

He's explosive with his legs that's why he sends guys flying.

He sometimes runs around too much in his own zone but over time that will settle down.

Him and Suzuki are the best of the young Hab prospects right now. I'm not sure what to think about KK and Poehling belongs in the minors.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's like a THICK, right handed Kulak right now.

I think he'll end up as a good #4

It depends on how good his skating, stick handling. And hockey sense becomes. Right now he's a little choppy, makes some bad coverage decisions, and the play is still going a little fast for him.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
It depends on how good his skating, stick handling. And hockey sense becomes. Right now he's a little choppy, makes some bad coverage decisions, and the play is still going a little fast for him.

Pretty normal for a 20-21 year old d-man. He's had fantastic progress over the last 2 seasons. I'm sure he will catch on fairly quickly.

What I find exciting is the fact that we're slowly starting to see players we've actually drafted and developed in our Top 6 with potentially a few more on the way soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad