Prospect Info: Cale Fleury

Status
Not open for further replies.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Fleury was solid last night. He has an explosiveness to his skating. Boom!! he hits a guy.

At times he gets beat by allowing a guy to cut around him. Not sure what's up with that. I can live with a few rookie mistakes knowing he's so much better then folin and you know he'll get much better while Folin will never be anything but a 7th D.

but he has good offensive instincts and I'm excited to see where that goes.

Reactions: jaffy27

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
He had a pretty bad no look pass right in front of our goalie last night but I love the way he plays.

He wants to make a difference and I really prefer to have a player that just need to be toned down a little bit and finding the right spots to pinch/hit.

Much more fun than a player who just wants to make no mistake and be forgotten on the ice.

Reactions: abo9

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
He reminds me of Emelin, but less of a head hunter and more stable defensively, with a bit more offensive potential. Could become a very solid 3-4 D!

Reactions: dralaf

paddy

Aug 2, 2005
You know that it's just a comfort and confidence issue before he really starts to be good. Once he has those, he'll be a good one.

Reactions: jaffy27

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Much smarter than Emelin
Definitely, much more positionally sound, lot less brain cramps, hence my "more stable defensively" statement. It's still early though, we all loved Emelin in his first year, things got progressively worse as he was given responsibilities he shouldn't have had.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Definitely, much more positionally sound, lot less brain cramps, hence my "more stable defensively" statement. It's still early though, we all loved Emelin in his first year, things got progressively worse as he was given responsibilities he shouldn't have had.
It's easier to look good as a #6 defenseman.

Reactions: c3z4r

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Lost in all of last night's madness was Cale Fleury's performance. Threw some big hits, fired off some nice shots and played solid start to finish. Let's see him vs a good team like the Blues.

He was a bright spot for the Habs as were the usual culprits(Veterans and our rookie Fleury didn't look tired, youth helps in recuperating quickly.)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I haven't gotten to see much of him, with Juulsen back and playing solid defensive hockey I had wondered if at some point they would flip them. Fleury's offense would be a welcome addition to Laval but if he's playing well then Juulsen will have to wait and it's not like he couldn't stand to benefit from playing more in Laval after missing so much time and barely playing in the AHL since turning pro as he needs to improve his offensive game.

That said I saw a little of the previous 2 games before dallas and saw him paired with Reilly and I thought good lord what are they trying to do to the kid, as that has the potential to be a nightmare pairing unless Reilly has started to listen to the coaches and not make dumb decisions with the puck at times. Fleury has his own defensive issues so putting them together just sounds terrible to me. What happened to Kulak, did he forget how to hockey?

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
It's easier to look good as a #6 defenseman.

For as much flak as he gets thrown his way, Emelin was playing 20+ minutes a night and was our #3/4D for multiple seasons when we were making deep playoffs runs, winning our division and battling for winning the conference. If not for injuries completely taking away the little skating he had, he'd probably still be a serviceable dman in the NHL.

There's a long way to go before Fleury is even remotely as good as Emelin was in his time here; however Emelin was 25 when he debuted into the NHL, whereas Fleury will turn 21 this month, so there's a solid 4 years to go before I would even start comparing them.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I liked his game, even though he still looks a tad light on the frame. He hit amd made some good plays. Reilly, not a fan.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
For as much flak as he gets thrown his way, Emelin was playing 20+ minutes a night and was our #3/4D for multiple seasons when we were making deep playoffs runs, winning our division and battling for winning the conference. If not for injuries completely taking away the little skating he had, he'd probably still be a serviceable dman in the NHL.

There's a long way to go before Fleury is even remotely as good as Emelin was in his time here; however Emelin was 25 when he debuted into the NHL, whereas Fleury will turn 21 this month, so there's a solid 4 years to go before I would even start comparing them.

If they had just kept Emelin at the 5th spot where he belonged, fans would have liked him more as he's not a guy that you want in your top 2 pairings.

Fleury does remind me a bit of him since he can dish out some crushing hits due to his speed/skating/mobility/size but he's got more offensive abilities. To me it's just been a question about his defensive game which maybe wasn't as bad as I thought since in Laval when he was paired with Ouellet it was a nightmare but that could have been more to do with Ouellet. Guess we'll see as the season goes on how he holds up

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Cale continues to get comfortable with the NHL game. The one complete AHL season has done wonders for this kid.

For a player with 9 NHL games he looks poised, calm and hits like a truck. Hard not to be excited if you are a Habs fan.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Liking him more and more each game. Will make errors but 9 games in, it's very encouraging. The physical game is there and will only get better. The offence will come. I really like his shot and how he gets if on net.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Liking him more and more each game. Will make errors but 9 games in, it's very encouraging. The physical game is there and will only get better. The offence will come. I really like his shot and how he gets if on net.

He seems to be progressing nicely to date. Habs will have to make a decision when Juulsen is ready, although Juulsen looked pretty good when he debuted last season before the injury.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
- 3.44 hits/game: Ranks 1st on the Habs
- 1.44 blocks/game: Ranks 3rd on the Habs
- 14:57 of ATIO: Ranks 6th last on the Habs

Zero points but he's doing very well as a 3rd pairing guy and the minutes he is getting. I love the physical play and skating package he brings to the Table.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He seems to be progressing nicely to date. Habs will have to make a decision when Juulsen is ready, although Juulsen looked pretty good when he debuted last season before the injury.

Agreed. Juulsen was playing with Reilly and as our 2nd pairing too last season before that injury derailed his season.

It will be very interesting to see who stands up and is the better one between Juulsen, Brook, and Fleury in the next few seasons.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
- 3.44 hits/game: Ranks 1st on the Habs
- 1.44 blocks/game: Ranks 3rd on the Habs
- 14:57 of ATIO: Ranks 6th last on the Habs

Zero points but he's doing very well as a 3rd pairing guy and the minutes he is getting. I love the physical play and skating package he brings to the Table.

He does look good for being so green. A solid 4=6 on a roster. Not sure how much offensive upside he's got. NJ appears to have a leg up in that area,and can play physical as well,but not his bread and butter.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Agreed. Juulsen was playing with Reilly and as our 2nd pairing too last season before that injury derailed his season.

It will be very interesting to see who stands up and is the better one between Juulsen, Brook, and Fleury in the next few seasons.

Forgot all about Brook,but he seems to have stagnated already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad