C/W William Nylander - MODO, SHL (2014, 8th overall, Toronto) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009
We'll see how physically ready he is, in any case I hope he avoids the AHL completely.

His offensive abilities should keep him out of the AHL. Even this year in training camp he was showing a lot of stuff that suggested that he wouldn't have been the worst player in the league if he stayed. He wasn't NHL ready but he likely would have produced a few points and built off it in subsequent years.

Sending him back to MODO was the right move IMO.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Very happy with this pick, it was between Nylander and Ehlers for me, at the end I was thinking about Nylander's ability to potentially be a centre for us and decided that's where he had the edge over Ehlers. Plus I realize hockey players come from all over now but I feel safer with a Swedish guy with NHL blood lines vs a Danish kid.

That being said, I was like how the heck are these teams not taking Anze Kopitar at the draft? Slovenian or not, he was a damned good player to take.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
His offensive abilities should keep him out of the AHL. Even this year in training camp he was showing a lot of stuff that suggested that he wouldn't have been the worst player in the league if he stayed. He wasn't NHL ready but he likely would have produced a few points and built off it in subsequent years.

Sending him back to MODO was the right move IMO.

Not gonna lie, I think even 1 more additional year in Sweden and developing as a centre isn't the worst thing in my mind. We'll see how he looks in training camp though.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
Not gonna lie, I think even 1 more additional year in Sweden and developing as a centre isn't the worst thing in my mind. We'll see how he looks in training camp though.

Lol. I don't understand what he heck he's doing in the SHL this season.

William Nylander*

Said in an interview with Uffe Bodin today that he prefers the center position and hopes he can continue playing there.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Justin Pogge is out there too

I'm pretty sure Raycroft is as well.

Both Raycroft and Pogge were playing in Italy the year before Rask won his Vezina. :cry:

Not to derail the thread, but for those who don't know, the Leafs kept young Pogge and traded young Rask for Raycroft. :shakehead

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I'm pretty sure Raycroft is as well.

Both Raycroft and Pogge were playing in Italy the year before Rask won his Vezina. :cry:

Not to derail the thread, but for those who don't know, the Leafs kept young Pogge and traded young Rask for Raycroft. :shakehead

Raycroft was in 2nd tier in Sweden last year like Pogge but he retired. He's now a goalie coach Univ. of Connecticut. I weirdly heard about it just yesterday :laugh:

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Peter Forsberg raves about Leafs draft pick William Nylander
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/11/15/peter-forsberg-raves-about-leafs-draft-pick-william-nylander

"He came to us last year at the beginning of the year and he's been taking huge steps," Forsberg said. "He's more mature and he's gotten stronger with his body.

"You could see the first time he came to Modo he has fantastic skills. You can see he's great with the puck, he's very good at finding teammates and smooth when it comes to scoring goals. He's getting better and better.

"I've been impressed with what he's done in the Swedish league so far. Every time he touches the puck something happens. Hopefully he will get the strength to be able to play over here because he's going to be fantastic."

And who does he credit?

Nylander credited Phil Kessel with showing him some tricks of the trade during training camp.

"He helped me with a lot of little things and (gave me) tips all the time," Nylander said. "Currently, he is an incredibly smart player and incredibly skilled. And I noticed that his shot is really good too."

StanleyTOR

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
twitter.com
UPDATE:

10 GP, 5G 14 Pts

Continues his pace playing against men as an 18 year old. Quite impressive eh?

Really excited to see him at WJC. Not sure to cheer for Canadians or Sweden anymore x_x.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad