C/W Jonathan Drouin - Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL 2013 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrosKinnon

May 24, 2012
Cole Harbour
Any reason why MacKinnon's not been able to keep up with Drouin? I thought they were linemates?

Sorry for al lthe questions, just trying to decide who I want the CBJ to get if they get first overall.

The way opposing teams play against the moose PP is one reason IMO. The PP use to run through Drouin on the hash marks with MacKinnon down low. Teams now completely take away the pass to MacKinnon, so the moose PP runs through Drouin, Frk and Abeltshauser at the point. Not sure if any other moose fans noticed that or if Im just crazy :dunno:

WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Radulov didn't even play in the Q for his draft year. He had an unimpressive 75 points in his 19 y/o season, then had 152 in 62 games in his 20 y/o. But my whole point at first was comparing players on their draft years, not what they did as 19 or 20 y/o.

And by the way, Crosby had 168 points in 62 games... as a 17 years old. Radulov never ever came close to him.
Radulov (2nd year) was much more dominant based on my viewings of the two. Stats don't tell the whole story but if you want to use stats let's use playoff stats.
But yeah.. he was 19 going on 20 tho.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011

Agree here. Not to discount what Drouin does, and his passion for the game, it's still incredible, but MacKinnon is very determined and works very hard. Always on the puck and wants to win at all costs ...

Reminds me of the IQ debate between these two. Both exceptional in that regard, but one has to be better than the other lol.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
The way opposing teams play against the moose PP is one reason IMO. The PP use to run through Drouin on the hash marks with MacKinnon down low. Teams now completely take away the pass to MacKinnon, so the moose PP runs through Drouin, Frk and Abeltshauser at the point. Not sure if any other moose fans noticed that or if Im just crazy :dunno:

I've noticed this, and I like it more. Drouin and MacKinnon are tremendous passers, but I like the idea of cycling it and letting Frk or Konrad shoot it... Normally Drouin would pass it down low to Nate on the goal-line and try and jam it in front to Fournier ... It had some success, but letting Frk or Drouin "QB" the powerplay is also effective.

WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Blue collar HF members: MacKinnon > Drouin
White collar HF members: Drouin > MacKinnon

:sarcasm:

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Don't listen to these homers.... They probably haven't watched any WHL games. Jones is the proper pick for #1

Says a guy who probably hasn't watched any Q games lol... Wouldn't you be the pot calling the kettle black with a "homer" comment ...

And I never said anything about going #1, just that they would be nice to get together ... Personally I think Jones will go #1, and he has the tools to do so if he finishes strong ... But you go out of your way to bash MacKinnon/promote any one else, which is fine, but it's becoming obvious ... Carry on though lol.

CrosKinnon

May 24, 2012
Cole Harbour
Agree here. Not to discount what Drouin does, and his passion for the game, it's still incredible, but MacKinnon is very determined and works very hard. Always on the puck and wants to win at all costs ...

Reminds me of the IQ debate between these two. Both exceptional in that regard, but one has to be better than the other lol.

Yea I guess I should of been more clear, Drouin is right up there with Nate in the compete factor, but I give the edge to Nate in that category IMO

I've noticed this, and I like it more. Drouin and MacKinnon are tremendous passers, but I like the idea of cycling it and letting Frk or Konrad shoot it... Normally Drouin would pass it down low to Nate on the goal-line and try and jam it in front to Fournier ... It had some success, but letting Frk or Drouin "QB" the powerplay is also effective.

I also like the new format as I find it opens up the ice for Drouin to pick apart.

Haligonian

---------
Dec 23, 2008
Halifax
I'm a Mooseheads season ticket holder and I think whatever team(s) pass up on Drouin are going to look back and scratch their head at why they didn't pick him. He's going to put up a lot of points in the NHL.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Could Jonathan Drouin win the QMJHL scoring title?

He's got 82 points now, 7 points behind the league leader. Currently has the highest PPG in the league and there's about 10ish games to go in the regular season. Do people here think he can win the scoring title come the end of the season?

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Halifax has 13 games left this season. Drouin is currently 7 points behind Peter Trainor of Rimouski, and 5 behind Josh Currie of PEI.

If all 3 players continue to score at their current PPG rate:

Trainor has 11 games left X (PPG/1.56) = 17pts
Currie has 12 games left X (PPG/1.55) = 19pts
Drouin has 13 games left X (PPG/2.10) = 27pts

The results would be:

Drouin 82 + 27 = 109
Trainor 89 + 17 = 106
Currie 87 + 19 = 106

So to answer the OP, yes, Jonathan Drouin could win the scoring race in the Q. The current math suggests by 3points. Obviously I don't think it will end up with these exact numbers, but I just think Drouin is on a mission, and he wants nothing more than to take down the scoring title, and get drafted #1.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Trainor PPG: 1.56 = 106 ... Post Trade Deadline: 1.93 = 110
Currie PPG: 1.55 = 105 ... PTD: 0.95 = 98
Duffy PPG: 1.55 = 105 ... PTD: 1.04 = 99
Drouin PPG: 2.1 = 109 ... PTD: 2.26 = 111
Zlobin PPG: 1.57 = 97 ... PTD: 1.61 = 98
Jaskin PPG: 1.88 = 103 ... PTD: 2.58 = 112

Each players games played, and game remaining are different so that explains the variation ... Also Jaskin has one more game to serve in his suspension, and it's unlikely Drouin plays the final game as we plan on sitting our stars, but I included it anyways.

The reason I included the post Christmas stats is because Drouin, Trainor and Jaskin have gone on tears and upped their game ...

So yes, it's possible for Drouin to do it ... I think he and Jaskin will end up with 108 ... So it will be close

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Anyone know when was the last time someone from the QMJHL had a PPG over 2?
Radulov in 05-06 had 61 goals 91 assists for 152 points in 62 games.

Same year Stanislav Lascek had 47 goals 88 assists for 135 points in 65 games.

The two years previous Crosby had
168 points in 62 games and 135 points in 59 games.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
The 06 Chicoutimi team was something ... Lascek a 2ppg player, Max Boisclair who achieved the rare goal-per-game mark, and David Desharnais centering the line ... The least productive ends up being something lol.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
I forget which yr it was, maybe two yrs before Crosby but I remember Ramzi Abid tearing the stat sheet apart not long ago too.

As for the question? Could? Oh yes. Will? Likely. I lived in Hali my whole life till a yr and a half ago. My folks still live back home but I am in Calgary. So yeah... I left after the teams drinking (save for Voracek) + facing Giroux in the playoffs and Marchand being a selfish jerk ended one of the mooses best yrs. I left after the Marchand backlash caused the team to be worse than ever before. I left just as some of their many many high draft picks were starting their first games.

About 5 games into this season I sent my father an email saying I truthfully believe that, at this level of hockey, Drouin is better than MacKinnon. I always believed that since and still do. I have also always believed and still do that MacKinnon will be picked before Drouin in the draft. I never predicted the current ISS I have thought it would be Jones (depending on winning team but Jones is unreal) followed by Mac and Dru.

About three weeks ago I sent my father an email telling him how I think Drouin actually has a very good chance of winning the Q league pts championship and that I only realistically see Jaskin being a threat.

I still think this is the case. Interestingly he called me a week later saying an article in a Hali news paper was suggesting the same thing. They just looked at numbers tho. I might have been over confident in Drouin for no good reason since the start and got lucky in things happening the way I thought they would all along but. I believe Jaskin roughly maintains his ppg and Drouin elevates his game even further in the final stretch. The last 2-3 weeks of the season. I believe he is a clutch player like Briere who is built for important moments and especially the playoffs.

I also suggested in that email he is a serious contender compared to the OHL for pts but that winning the CHL pts championship would be pretty unrealistic due to the dub.

We shall see how this season ends... But if things continue how I've expected this yr (well in regards to Drouin at least) I feel almost sure barring injuries or whatnot he finishes with at least 2.1 ppg and pts championship.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
PS: Sry if I come off like a tool. I am right about some things and wrong about some things like most. Also like most my beliefs often fall in line woth the majority (NYR a preseason cup fav. For example) i just neverpsted on a hockey forum before and have wanted to share my thoughts on Jon for a long time on many occasions. It just happens to be one time I have had expectations far off the general consensus but have been roght all along so far and experts etc. Are more and more falling in line with my beliefs. So I figured I'd just share my thought process from the start. Anyway - yup I believe Drouin wins the pts title and reaches his biggest height yet in the post season. I expect numbers similar to Giroux's last QMJHL playoffs.

Edit: and dont get my words twisted and think I expect Drouin to do comparable to Giroux at the nhl level or that I think he will be better than MacKinnon at the NHL level.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
PS: Sry if I come off like a tool. I am right about some things and wrong about some things like most. Also like most my beliefs often fall in line woth the majority (NYR a preseason cup fav. For example) i just neverpsted on a hockey forum before and have wanted to share my thoughts on Jon for a long time on many occasions. It just happens to be one time I have had expectations far off the general consensus but have been roght all along so far and experts etc. Are more and more falling in line with my beliefs. So I figured I'd just share my thought process from the start. Anyway - yup I believe Drouin wins the pts title and reaches his biggest height yet in the post season. I expect numbers similar to Giroux's last QMJHL playoffs.

Edit: and dont get my words twisted and think I expect Drouin to do comparable to Giroux at the nhl level or that I think he will be better than MacKinnon at the NHL level.

How do you compare him to Giroux? Since you lot more about him than most of us

PinchedNerve

I'm a Mooseheads season ticket holder and I think whatever team(s) pass up on Drouin are going to look back and scratch their head at why they didn't pick him. He's going to put up a lot of points in the NHL.

I agree 100% with this. I've been saying Drouin is better since October and it's my personal goal between now and June to help get him the credit he deserves!

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
No doubt about that, but I never saw him play and the list was for people I did see. I also think Lecavalier should be in there too.

I was going to put Vinny but you said you started watching around 98 so I assumed you missed him (last season was 97-98)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

You might be crazy...don't know you :sarcasm:

But as far as the PP goes you are correct. Nate is always down low. Drouin always has the puck and either passes to Frk or tries to sidestep a defender and shoot with Mac and Fournier there for rebounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad