C/W Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Ässät, Liiga (2018, 3rd, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
So you watched all of those games then? Or did you just go and check the box score and make your stupid assumptions?

There are have been so, so many great amazing hockey players who never managed to win the Stanley Cup. I find people like you who let that define a players career quite sad. I think Florida will be good though, Barkov will be very successful and you'll get to eat some crows, once again.
Yes, I did watch all of those games, and he was absolutely phlegmatic and made of stone in those games again, like he is absolutely always in the big deciding games. I wouldn’t dislike him so much unless I would have seen him exactly fail always in the same way in the big games. It is just so clear that it seriously takes him down as a player to me.

Really such a pity as he definitely does have great talent, but none of the truly great players have had such softie attitude that he seems to have at the toughest and most meaningful moments.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
He has alot of talent but is kind of puck hog. He can force bad plays by himself even when there is free lane to pass open man. I think he is about Teuvo Teravainen level of prospect but i liked Teuvo more than Kotkaniemi. I don’t think he is close to Rantanen. I think he should be picked around 15-30 in average draft.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
He has alot of talent but is kind of puck hog. He can force bad plays by himself even when there is free lane to pass open man. I think he is about Teuvo Teravainen level of prospect but i liked Teuvo more than Kotkaniemi. I don’t think he is close to Rantanen. I think he should be picked around 15-30 in average draft.
I wouldn't worry about the puck hog thing. Sounds pretty normal for a highly skilled junior aged player to be somewhat selfish in the offensive zone, I believe that issue will fade away as he matures (he is one of the youngest players of this draft).

Reactions: Ippenator

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Yes, I did watch all of those games, and he was absolutely phlegmatic and made of stone in those games again, like he is absolutely always in the big deciding games. I wouldn’t dislike him so much unless I would have seen him exactly fail always in the same way in the big games. It is just so clear that it seriously takes him down as a player to me.

Really such a pity as he definitely does have great talent, but none of the truly great players have had such softie attitude that he seems to have at the toughest and most meaningful moments.
You realize that in the regular season the games in the fall, winter or spring are equally important? There are no extra points to be had in the end. I don't really understand how can you claim Barkov to be one of the reasons why Florida didn't make the playoffs when he played selke level defense and scored at PPG pace this season. And btw he played injured in those last games, might be a reason he looked "phlegmatic", no? Or that his coach have completely burnt out him at that point? He played absolutely ridiculous minutes the whole season because Florida doesn't have that much depth.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Starting to warm up to the thought of the Senators taking him either at 4 depending who is left, or trading back to take him

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I am also starting to accept that the Canucks will take him at 7. We are in dire need of C and D prospects, so he fills a need either way. His Risk/reward balance may be better than the D left at 7 depending on how things shake out. At least having the option of playing in the AHL if he is ready is a a big plus.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Big fan of this kid's game. He'll be moving up to #5 on my next list.

Is he going to be playing the center of the ice for Assat next season?

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'm loving the rise of this kid.

A de facto top 11 featuring: Svech, Zadina, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Kotkaniemi at forward with Dahlin, Boqvist, Bouchard, Hughes, Dobson and Smith on defense puts the Islanders is a very good spot at 11 to nab one of these kids.

If Kotkaniemi falls to us we might have a long-term #2C to play behind Barzal. If a team in front of us snags him we get a defenseman instead.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
What are the chances Montreal wants and takes Kotkaniemi over Zadina or Svechnikov

You never know. Team is desperate for a C, they love kids that play two-way hockey and he’s rising fast. I think they will consider him. We do know Tervainen was high on his list in 2012. They drafted Lehkonen and Ikonen. They are active in Finland.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'm loving the rise of this kid.

A de facto top 11 featuring: Svech, Zadina, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Kotkaniemi at forward with Dahlin, Boqvist, Bouchard, Hughes, Dobson and Smith on defense puts the Islanders is a very good spot at 11 to nab one of these kids.

If Kotkaniemi falls to us we might have a long-term #2C to play behind Barzal. If a team in front of us snags him we get a defenseman instead.

Is it a foregone conclusion that Tavares is leaving?

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Is it a foregone conclusion that Tavares is leaving?

It certainly doesn't look promising, especially with persistent rumors the Islanders are looking into shaking up management.

Either way, the draft is before free agency so unless he signs before then, I'd think the Islanders are going to look heavily at potential top 6 centers with either the 11th or 12th pick.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
It certainly doesn't look promising, especially with persistent rumors the Islanders are looking into shaking up management.

Either way, the draft is before free agency so unless he signs before then, I'd think the Islanders are going to look heavily at potential top 6 centers with either the 11th or 12th pick.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but if he isn't signed by the draft, should the Isles start looking to trade his rights?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Not to sidetrack the thread, but if he isn't signed by the draft, should the Isles start looking to trade his rights?

I am not sure I would trade his rights, what I would do is negotiate with teams for a sign and trade deal(ie given them the option of giving him an 8th year). I have to figure if that 8th year is the difference between signing and not signing the Islanders may be able to squeeze a first rounder next year(that or make a deal for a good player that has a high caphit at a lesser value then a normal trade)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad