C/W Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Ässät, Liiga (2018, 3rd, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Good hands, average vision, worst skater in the top 62. Finds a way to produce though, and that means something. Veleno looks like a better option UNTIL you check the stats line. Awkward looking, but gets results.
Will be interesting to see where he ends up.
Yes I am a stat watcher.
No way he is as bad skater as you just here claimed. He is in fact pretty good with his full speed. Average or maybe even a bit below average first steps, but definitely not as bad as you just made it seem like. Strange for a stats watcher to comment in such sure way how his skating should be compared with all the other top players in this draft.

Reactions: Kcb12345

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
He's been in our Top 10 since October 2017. I suppose finding out how good of a prospect he is might be more other people catching up to the fact rather than a recency bias, I mean the latter could be the case if he only showed something at the end of this season, but we felt he's been showing considerable upside for a long time now.
Top 10 is absolutely fine with me, I was talking about people having him in the top 5.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I'm wondering if he can be the Pettersson of this draft. His stock should be higher but the European league factor makes everyone underrate him. Wouldn't mind at all if Canucks took him at 7

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I'm wondering if he can be the Pettersson of this draft. His stock should be higher but the European league factor makes everyone underrate him. Wouldn't mind at all if Canucks took him at 7
Can you imagine if Canucks took him and he busted too? Finnish players would be forever cursed in Vancouver. Prospects at least. Nah.....ya'll just take...someone else.

Skeletorrr

May 15, 2011
Finland
Is his skating “issues” overblown?

I would say so. For some reason it's the same old song with every finnish forward prospect (unless you blast by opposing defenders like Teemu Selänne or Kasperi Kapanen) since Mikael Granlund. If you're not just plain awful on skates like Jori Lehterä those little flaws are easy to correct with training and skating coaches. I remeber Barky getting a lot of flak because of his skating in the first few years, but you can't really say his skating is a weakness anymore.

Reactions: Ippenator

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Europe is a good place to look for steals.

Horvat- Pettersson- Boeser- Kotkaniemi is something you can think of building around.

Reactions: Elias Pettersson

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Skating is this and skating is that. It's tiring. Watched him in the Hlinka and U-18. What I seen was a player very well positioned that closed gaps very quickly on the proper angles to pressure the opponent to pass off or give up pucks. Then backcheck all the way to his zone take his man in front of the net or to the end boards. Then cycle back up ice and create scoring opportunities. If you're smart enough to know where the puck is going anticipation will get you there faster than turning the wrong way and skating like hell to catch up to the play. This kid is a terrific hockey player for his age.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Kotkaniemi might be the Elias Pettersson of this draft. He will go top-10 to a team who needs a forward, on account of a defenseman who tumbles. I could see Kotkaniemi ahead of Veleno and Tkachuk - and why not? Kotkaniemi is in the company of Puljujarvi, Granlund etc imo. He should come stateside as soon as possible - AHL or NHL next year if his agent knows what's good for him!

Reactions: NoQuinn

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
vs SVK 1+0 (5-2 W)
vs FRA 0+1 (7-0 W)
vs RUS 0+3 (5-4 W)
vs CZE 1+0 (4-2 W)
vs BLR 0+0 (5-2 W)
vs SWE 1+0 (2-0 W)
vs USA 0+2 (3-2 W)

It's not like he lit it up against weak countries lol. Very impressive. 2+5 against Russia, Czechs, Sweden and USA.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

Hmm maybe, Rantanen was also a similar case.

Personally I don't think he'll be a first liner

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I would say so. For some reason it's the same old song with every finnish forward prospect (unless you blast by opposing defenders like Teemu Selänne or Kasperi Kapanen) since Mikael Granlund. If you're not just plain awful on skates like Jori Lehterä those little flaws are easy to correct with training and skating coaches. I remeber Barky getting a lot of flak because of his skating in the first few years, but you can't really say his skating is a weakness anymore.

Good point, Barkov actually looks fast nowadays

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
I’m more so asking for Assat fans. To me they look pretty similar pre draft .
Armia was much more of a finesse player and a sniper. Also, his skating was smoother. I don't see much resemblabce besides size and a good shot.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
I remember a lot of people complaining about Draisatl's skating and he's a stud in the pro's. I hope the Canuck's get this kid.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
You have to remember that Barkov has a very unique drive to better himself.
Unfortunately it doesn’t show in leading his teams and making them better at crucial moments and games. Again he completely choked in the most important games of the season at the end of the regular season, and again Panthers failed to make the playoffs. This has really become his trademark and I honestly have already lost my faith in him.

I don’t see him even close to as good as a player as some Finns very much desperately want to believe. I see already now more of winning attitude in Kotkaniemi than I have ever seen in Barkov. Such a shame, as the talent is there, but he completely freezes in the biggest games. Always and every single time.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Unfortunately it doesn’t show in leading his teams and making them better at crucial moments and games. Again he completely choked in the most important games of the season at the end of the regular season, and again Panthers failed to make the playoffs. This has really become his trademark and I honestly have already lost my faith in him.

I don’t see him even close to as good as a player as some Finns very much desperately want to believe. I see already now more of winning attitude in Kotkaniemi than I have ever seen in Barkov. Such a shame, as the talent is there, but he completely freezes in the biggest games. Always and every single time.
You're a funny guy.

E: I really shouldn't even say anything else because i think what you just spewed out is the most humongous amount of bullshit i've read on these boards, but Florida didn't get into the playoffs because they sucked the first half. Not because they didn't win every single game in February & March.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
You're a funny guy.

E: I really shouldn't even say anything else because i think what you just spewed out is the most humongous amount of bull**** i've read on these boards, but Florida didn't get into the playoffs because they sucked the first half. Not because they didn't win every single game in February & March.
He went completely silent in the last and deciding games that could have still made them get to the playoffs. But that is nothing new by one of the most overrated players in the whole NHL and an already for years well proven bonafide loser that Barkov is.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He went completely silent in the last and deciding games that could have still made them get to the playoffs. But that is nothing new by one of the most overrated players in the whole NHL and an already for years well proven bonafide loser that Barkov is.
So you watched all of those games then? Or did you just go and check the box score and make your stupid assumptions?

There are have been so, so many great amazing hockey players who never managed to win the Stanley Cup. I find people like you who let that define a players career quite sad. I think Florida will be good though, Barkov will be very successful and you'll get to eat some crows, once again.

Reactions: Ookhaab

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

I’m honestly happy that he will not be in the Finnish WHC team. He would choke again there too, as he always has done in the national team also, when the biggest and most meaningful games have started. Every time unfortunately.

Prove me wrong then? When he succeeded so far in really big games in the NHL or in the national teams at any age? He just doesn’t unfortunately. He is just about big talks of how he wants to develop himself so much and be the best player in the world. He will never be even close to that goal that he has said himself having, as he seriously lacks winning attitude and leadership qualities. Such a waste of talent really.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad